Why become a member? ×

painting a scratchplate ?

hamfist

I'm considering painting the scratchplate on my G&L SB2, as getting an aftermarket one seems difficult and expensive.
Anyone have any suggestions as to the best type of paint to use. I'm obviously going to be happy with a solid colour.

Also, would it be best to seal it with some other sort of finish for the final layer ?

Try [url="http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/index.html"]this[/url].

Instead of just sitting on top of the plastic as a layer, it actually molecularly bonds to the existing plastic.

It's not cheap (about £15 a tin) but I've used it in the past to paint UPVC window frames and it carries a 15 year guarantee.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359926956' post='1962254']
That stuff's good, but don't breathe in fumes or get it on your skin!
[/quote]

It is very very smelly :)

UPVC frame cleaner takes it off your fingers pretty well - in fact it's the only thing I found that would get it off of a surface other than sandpapering it.

It also comes in any RAL or BS colour as well.

One thing to mention is that the surface needs to be thoroughly cleaned with spirits before spraying or it'll craze on oil residue from fingerprints.

That looks like some good stuff. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind paying a bit for the proper stuff that will give a lasting finish. Even then, it sounds like it will probably end up cheaper than a new scratchplate, even if I could find one to fit.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360017438' post='1963739']
Now that the Bass Doc seems to be back in business, would it not be better to get your existing one copied?
[/quote]

It's definitely an option, but being an unusual bass it'll be a custom 'plate and therefor I expect not cheap. I'll get a quote at some point for sure.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1360050959' post='1963934']

It's definitely an option, but being an unusual bass it'll be a custom 'plate and therefor I expect not cheap. I'll get a quote at some point for sure.
[/quote]

Your prerogative of course, but I got the one off my Gibson Victory copied (can't get much more weird than that) and I don't remember it being too bad. Also, the very reason I got it copied was because some klutz had covered the original in something like silver hammerite and ruined it. Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of people painting pick guards ;)

You've got a lovely bass, if you're going to make changes, make them easily reversible. Once you factor in the evil paint you'll need to have any kind of durability, your time and the possibility for error and the potential damage to future real value, I'd say that painting your pick guard is a false economy at best.

Rant over, ultimately it's your bass and your call.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360053606' post='1963963']
Your prerogative of course, but I got the one off my Gibson Victory copied (can't get much more weird than that) and I don't remember it being too bad. Also, the very reason I got it copied was because some klutz had covered the original in something like silver hammerite and ruined it. Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of people painting pick guards ;)

You've got a lovely bass, if you're going to make changes, make them easily reversible. Once you factor in the evil paint you'll need to have any kind of durability, your time and the possibility for error and the potential damage to future real value, I'd say that painting your pick guard is a false economy at best.

Rant over, ultimately it's your bass and your call.
[/quote]

You are probably right. The more I think about it, the more I veer towards getting a new scratchplate.

This place seems to be one of the better places that has been suggested to me .....

[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pickguard_materials.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/00pickguard_materials.htm[/url]

About £55-£60 for a P bass-type pearloid guard. Think I shall probably go for it.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1360050959' post='1963934']
[/quote]

as long as you have a template, it won't be extremely costly providing you or BassDoc has the material you want. Do get in touch with him, you may be surprised. He has copied a few scratchplates for me in the past, including an unusual one... and I am very happy with the results.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360181373' post='1966368']
Uncle Horrid! Welcome back! :D
[/quote]

Theng yow.

I'm able to help hamfist on the scatchplate front

And anyone else on the custom scratchplate list.

At a recent gig a mate of mine repeated the old adage that "It's not what you play, it's what you leave out that counts" then followed it up with "and you left some bloody good stuff out tonight"

'Cheers' I said :unsure:

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1360189470' post='1966584']
Certainly do not use car spray paint. I did that with a scratch plate on one of my first Strats and the chemicals reacted really badly with the plastic. Placing it on a log fire would have done a better job!
[/quote]

SOunds like good advice !

Thanks to those who suggested the Doc, who is now sorting me out with a new guard.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1360188517' post='1966553']
...At a recent gig a mate of mine repeated the old adage that "It's not what you play, it's what you leave out that counts" then followed it up with "and you left some bloody good stuff out tonight". [size=4]'Cheers' I said [/size] :unsure:
[/quote]

Ha, ha! :lol:

Edited by discreet