Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jason Newstead is back!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1371127701' post='2110141']
Bloody fantastic it was.
[/quote]

I was there too. And bloody fantastic is WAS. I understand the criticism that's being levelled: it's not massively original, but it is good honest thrash. I like it.

Most of the night I was about where the pic below was taken from.

Two sadowsky J's (with black tuning pegs), and one metallic orange with a d-tuna, an odd string tree retainer and larger than normal (not j-sized, think soapbar) pups. Two guitarists, one of which used a 7-string PRS at one point, the other who used SGs and Les Pauls.

Now I get to see them again on Monday on HMS Hammer. Lucky me.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1371163791' post='2110859']
I was there too. And bloody fantastic is WAS. I understand the criticism that's being levelled: it's not massively original, but it is good honest thrash. I like it.

Most of the night I was about where the pic below was taken from.

Two sadowsky J's (with black tuning pegs), and one metallic orange with a d-tuna, an odd string tree retainer and larger than normal (not j-sized, think soapbar) pups. Two guitarists, one of which used a 7-string PRS at one point, the other who used SGs and Les Pauls.

Now I get to see them again on Monday on HMS Hammer. Lucky me.
[/quote]

Well from the look of that shot I must have been right beside you - I think I might see the side of my head on the right there!

Sound like a top night. I've always liked Jason he just seems an solid guy who has a certain quiet competence about him that I respect.

Thrash was always about the music & energy for me, lyrics can be a bit shaky but so what ?

Glad you guys had a good night, I really do hope Jason does well with this band

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1371127701' post='2110141']
Bloody fantastic it was. I didn't think much of the EP material when I first heard it, but the songs work very well live. Jason is a great front man, continually engaging with the crowd and talkative between songs.

The highlight for me was an incredible blast through Whiplash, and we also got two Motorhead covers as encores - Love Me Like A Reptile and [b]We Are The Road Crew[/b]. Snippets of My Friend of Misery and the 'Die! Die!' section of Creeping Death were also played during other songs.

Jason played a couple of his usual Sadowsky J basses throughout (apart from one song he played on guitar) and had his standard deep Motown sound going on. Amps were Ampeg of course, but he seemed to be playing through an Orange 8x10, laying on it's side.

Just a great, fun night of unpretentious, straightforward old school thrash (with a bit of Sabbath thrown in). A tight-as-arseholes band in a glorious, intimate venue. I'm glad I went.

Bravo that man!
[/quote]

Sounds like a great night, they played we are the road crew at Lemmy's 50th birthday party I used to have a live mp3 of that song.
The rehearsal's were recorded for the garage inc album.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1371122480' post='2110041']
Yeh the old days of having an open stage to allow stage diving seems like a different world now.
[/quote]

I suppose most heavy bands are a bit nervous after the Randy Blythe arrest and trial last year.

[url="http://www.nme.com/news/lamb-of-god/69030"]http://www.nme.com/news/lamb-of-god/69030[/url]

I do miss these kind of gigs

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXURCDIO5o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXURCDIO5o[/url]