Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1100s (refin) **SOLD**

Bobby K

Well, what can I say. Another one that has to go I'm afraid, after the worst month for work that I've possibly ever had. Grim doesn't even come close to describing it :(

This bass started out life in a wine burst finish, but about a year ago I refinished it down to the bare wood. I got it in a trade from BC'er adledman; at the time I thought it looked a bit tired and dull and so decided on the refin.

I was over the moon with the end result, it looked like a new bass!! Thankfully the bass had some lovely grain hiding under the paint. I finished the bass with Tru oil and as you can see from the pics (see link below) it really brought out the beauty of the wood. Here are my refin diary pics :) :

I probably don't have to tell you much about the quality of these basses. P/J configuration, passive, but can be switched to active with 3 band eq. I personally prefer the bass in passive mode, but switching to the active mode really gives the bass a turbo boost!

It's been a bit of a workhorse on the pubs/weddings/functions circuit ever since i refinished it. Tru oil isn't as forgiving a finish as nitro, so there are inevitably some little marks here and there, but nothing major. Bit of buckle rash on the back, but again, nothing horrendous. There are a couple of minor dinks on the neck and the pickups have some string marks on them (this was all present before the refin was undertaken) The original bass, mid and treble knobs were all replaced at some point by a previous owner, as was the plastic end on the 3 way pickup selector switch. Will try and take some photos of any marks tomorrow, in daylight, if I can, just to bring the photos of the bass up to date.

I put so much effort into this refin that I vowed that I'd never ever sell the bass, but finances really are that bad right now :( The bass was sanded down carefully, completely by hand from start to finish and the cavities were all copper foiled. A real labour of love that I took weeks over. But you all know what it's like, needs must sometimes.

If there's no interest, I'll happily keep it, but let's see what happens. Looking for 200 quid for this. would really prefer collection in person. I've got a very tatty Warwick gig bag to put it in. If totally necesarry, I can post it at buyer's expense, or deliver within reasonable distance, meet halfway etc etc. Bass is located in Liverpool

Edited by Bobby K

These are quality basses. I had one in the late 80s and must have done between 500 - 1000 gigs with it, without backup, never any problems. Really versatile too, thanks to the actives which can also be switched off. If I were flush I would buy this, purely for nostalgia.

Cheers Lozz, I hate to let it go mate, but you know how it is.

Ok, took some pics of the bass today (on the same couch as before lol) and to be honest, even though it's been a year since the refin and it's been heavily gigged, there's hardly any difference in condition, but for a few tiny marks here and there. I've tried to photograph these without success; it's very hard when they're so insignificant. The slight buckle rash on the back was impossible to photgraph, more a case of feeling it rather than seeing it. I've also photographed some of the marks/mojo that was already present before the refin (marks/grooves on pickup covers and lacquer dings on neck - the neck was left as was and wasn't part of the refin) See pics below:

One more slight issue is that one of the tuners vibrates a bit when you're playing the bass unplugged. Not an issue at all when you're plugged in and rocking out though :)

The bass dates to 1991 and for a 22 year old bass I'd say it was in decent nick!

Edited by Bobby K

Yummy yummy. You have done a great job! I also had one of these a long time ago and really really tempted and not just for nostalgia. They have great electrics too.

Thing is I need to let one go as the Fuhrer is operating a one in and one out policy :rolleyes:

PM sent

I know mate, was wondering what you'd think about it. Just desperate for cash, simple as that really.

The BB1200 is a permanent fixture though, that's not going anywhere anytime soon. If a BB2000 in good nick shows up, I might change my mind lol!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1359549990' post='1956387']
MB1.
Bobs a jolly decent chap!
Buy with Confidence!
Reccomended!

BUMP.
[/quote]

+1 :)

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1359551897' post='1956447']
This is gorgeous, I'm in love. You have done such a good job. And at that price it's a steal. Sadly I've no money too - so I'm out (but still in love)
[/quote]

Cheers mate ;)

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1359551897' post='1956447']
This is gorgeous, I'm in love. You have done such a good job. And at that price it's a steal. Sadly I've no money too - so I'm out (but still in love)
[/quote]
+1

Looks fantastic!

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1359496845' post='1955844']The BB1200 is a permanent fixture though, that's not going anywhere anytime soon. If a BB2000 in good nick shows up, I might change my mind lol!
[/quote]

Anyone know where Bob can get his hands on a BB2000......I'd love his BB1200

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1359650731' post='1958266']

Anyone know where Bob can get his hands on a BB2000......I'd love his BB1200
[/quote]

I said I MIGHT change my mind lol. I'm in right old quandary now regarding this 1100s though, thinking of keeping it.... aaarrghh!