Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sabre Classic bass

drTStingray

Sorry if this has already been done, but is anyone else on here suffering the overwhelming GAS I have - created by these? Two new colours as well, one of which is trans white :) the blue looks nice as well

[attachment=126016:sabred.jpg][attachment=126017:sabre and Sterling Ball at NAMM.jpg][attachment=126018:sabre and STerling Ball at NAMM2.jpg]

It's a corker, and been missing my stingray and Bongo HH since selling them in 2008/2009, this might just be the answer.

In saying that, I'd hazard a guess at around £2k and the originals go for less.

I'm well out of touch with ebmm gear though so I may be wrong.

These look good to me . I seem to remember that the electronics are different to the original Sabre in that the switches now give the same coil options as the two pickup Stingray rather than doing whatever they used to do on the old Sabre ( can't remember what that was though ! Getting old .)

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359154197' post='1951035']
These look good to me . I seem to remember that the electronics are different to the original Sabre in that the switches now give the same coil options as the two pickup Stingray rather than doing whatever they used to do on the old Sabre ( can't remember what that was though ! Getting old .)
[/quote]

I did read somewhere what the settings for the switch on the new Sabre are - they're definitely different from the original (and some of the Sabre fabs in the states have said the new arrangement is more intuitive), and also from a Ray HH - however IIRC the settings are more a combination of the Ray HS and Ray HH - I recall there is a bridge H plus front single coil for instance. Plus it has the noiseless circuit, and the 16 pole bridge pick up.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1359152021' post='1951000']
I'm in the want gang, just wish the blue was Tahoe blue, going to speak to strings and things about the options.
[/quote]

The colours are trans white, tobacco burst, natural, silver and blue (the blue seems to be closer to the late 80s Musicman smurf blue colour so darker than Lake Tahoe blue - the instrument appears to be based on the late 80s version, trans white also being a colour from that era) - the instrument's available on the MM website and the colours are shown.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1359152772' post='1951011']
I would of preferred the normal Sabre bridge, you know the one all the G&L fans say is the best thing about G&L that was actually on the Sabre first but you have to let them have some enjoyment :D
[/quote]

I'm a G&L fan and I would say that MFD pickups are the best thing about G&Ls. Also the G&L Saddle Lock bridge is a refinement of the Sabre bridge, and it's all by the same guy, so can't we just get along? ;)

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1359166776' post='1951173']
They look great. 10.5 lbs according to website - another challenge to find a light-ish one.
[/quote]

Unfortunately , I think the slab - cut body on these Classics means that the average weight is on the heavy side . Such a shame , because they look otherwise stunning basses .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359204027' post='1951484']
Unfortunately , I think the slab - cut body on these Classics means that the average weight is on the heavy side . Such a shame , because they look otherwise stunning basses .
[/quote]

The Sabre has contours - my Classic Ray is about 9 and a half pounds and from what I've heard, they're fairly consistent - so I'm guessing the extra weight of the Sabre is down to the electronics/pick ups etc.

Edited by drTStingray

I own a Stingray classic in ivory which weighs 8.8lbs so they do exist. It alsoi has no neck dive thanks to the design. They are extremely good. I had a thing about getting a sabre for the neck profile but the Stingray classic necks are just so perfect (skinny compared to a modern 'ray) that my gas has gone...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359204027' post='1951484']
[/quote]

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1359216655' post='1951749']
The Sabre has contours - my Classic Ray is about 9 and a half pounds and from what I've heard, they're fairly consistent - so I'm guessing the extra weight of the Sabre is down to the electronics/pick ups etc.
[/quote]

Just had a look - contours ! My mistake . Still heavy though . That sunburst one in the background looks nice . I remember seeing Mikey Craig in Culture Club playing a black /maple one of these back in the day . Always preferred them to Stingrays myself but I have never owned one .

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1359217469' post='1951763']
I own a Stingray classic in ivory which weighs 8.8lbs so they do exist. It alsoi has no neck dive thanks to the design. They are extremely good. I had a thing about getting a sabre for the neck profile but the Stingray classic necks are just so perfect (skinny compared to a modern 'ray) that my gas has gone...
[/quote]

I have seen one or two light Classics but I think ordering one would be pot luck and the odds of getting a light one would be stacked against me , I'm afraid .

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1359217973' post='1951776']
Yes, I lurked for a long while checking the weights and bought it second hand. VERY nice basses...
[/quote]

Those figured necks look amazing , and the colours are nice too . If I could guarantee a light one I would already have bought one . I know it's a very minor and petty thing , but Stingrays just don't look right to me with that new bridge on - at least the Classic has got the old - style bridge with the mutes ect .

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1359332346' post='1953294']
I Like the fact that they bring out new ideas even if they look odd, bongo,pizza slice guitar but is this not what all the ebmm people gave out about fender, just rehashing old ideas.
[/quote]

The Classic series of basses has been around since 2010 (Classic Stingray and Sterling) so this is not a new departure - simply adding another Classic Musicman bass to that range.

As you say, that has not stopped EBMM innovating with the Reflex and the Gamechanger etc, really the Classics are just a parallel, but different line - the fact they are producing high quality versions of Classic instruments with figured neck options, is great for enthusiasts.

The only frustration instrument manufacturers have expressed is the resistance of the general market to innovation over the last few years.

Yeah I am we'll aware of the classic range, it just seems for a company that love to call others " stuck in 1952 " a bit like eating your own words.
I get the whole classic vibe I do however think the price tag is way over the top too.

The big al now there is a bass that looks far better as a bass than a guitar. Big al 5 H ..... I will pick one up someday beautiful machine.