Why become a member? ×

Lakland Duck Dunn

Machines

[quote name='Dusty' post='203242' date='May 20 2008, 08:53 PM']pics tomorrow of the DD and all four of my fantastic Laklands[/quote]

Look forward to seeing those Lakand pics - gettng hold of a US Bob Glaub P/J is definetly on my 'to do' list, ever since I saw DMZ's in For Sale forum....

P

[quote name='Dusty' post='203242' date='May 20 2008, 08:53 PM']Alarmed to hear some of the comments here regarding the Duck Dunn as I've been Gassing for one for nearly a year now and finaly got my hands on one (other than OBBM's) on saturday in Brighton.[/quote]

Hi Dusty, there's nothing wrong with the DD - it's a superb bass and good value for money. It does what it was designed to do and because of the quality of construction and components used, will continue to do so without any problems for a long long time.

Wait 'til you here it in the mix playing with your band - you'll be very happy.

Fantastic collection you got there Dusty !

P

[quote name='Dusty' post='204538' date='May 22 2008, 08:33 PM']Pics as promised.....

Jammed with it on tuesday, all the banjo pickers liked the colour ! :huh:

Rehearsed with it on wednesday... I'm in love :)[/quote]

Hi Dave,

I find the P's a bit growlly if thats the right word with the tone on full treble and a bit boomy on full bass, the additional Jazz pick up does give you the option of a brighter sound if you want it. So I would still prefer the flexibility of the PJ option

[quote name='7string' post='204649' date='May 22 2008, 11:02 PM']OK, I'm going to ask a really dumb question, just out of pure curiosity...

What separates the Laklands from Fenders ??[/quote]

Customer service for starters.

The first Laklands I had were a pair of 55-01s from Bass Central in Florida.

One came with the Gotoh type tuners that were used on the earlier models, which I wasn't too pleased about. One e-mail to Bass Central and I was put in touch with Lakland who, no questions asked, sent me a set of US Hipshot Ultralites and two packs of strings to compensate for the cost of having them fitted.

On the same bass, I found the neck was a little too flexible and got a whole bunch of advice from one of their techs. When I said I still wasn't 100% convinced - though I was wondering if it wasn't more down to me being a bit too grippy with my left hand - they offered to send a brand new neck. Being cheeky, I asked if they could make it a fretless one and they duly obliged and sent a new fretless neck complete with tuners.

If you use the contact info on the site, you generally hear back from the boss Dan Lakin and if he can't help directly, you get put in touch with someone who can, but whoever it is will assist you to the best of their abilities.

Aside from that, the build quality and consistency is much, much better than Fender's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Lakland without playing it, I would with a Fender.

The materials used for the Skyline basses are on a par with Fender US series instruments I would say. Some of the deluxe basses are a site to behold.

None of that means that Lakland are perfect, no company is and it's entirely possible that the one Machines played was a dud, a rare dud, but a dud all the same.

Then again, maybe it's partly a personal taste thing too. Lightweight isn't for everyone and the Skylines do vary a fair bit in the weight department, though usually tending more towards the heavy end of the scale. "Pasty" maple possibly isn't to everyone's taste either, I happen to quite like it that way and anyway this will vary from bass to bass, especially with the Skylines where the wood used is not selectively chosen for it's aesthetic qualities. I've had some with a ncie figure to them, some which are quite bland.

The low end Fenders and Squiers don't feature much in the way of pearl block inlays and bound necks. No nicely dressed frets, no Hipshot Ultralite tuners or string-thru bridges and they'll have cheap pots on them and most will never, even in the hands of a good tech, set-up as well as a Lakland will.

If you look at the US made Laklands, you're into a whole different world completely - choice woods, custom colours, hand built quality etc.

[quote name='Machines' post='204718' date='May 23 2008, 07:10 AM']I suppose at those prices they can afford to :).[/quote]

Lakland made a profit for the first time last year - the Lakin family business was propping up the bass business for years.

Phew! You had me going for a moment there, Nancy.

Having just bought a Bob Glaub (being delivered today - woohoo!) the LAST thing I needed was to be told that there was a DD available for £500.

As it happens, that DD is available for $1050 + shipping ($350) + customs/VAT (say another $350), so there's no real temptation.

:)