Why become a member? ×

I need a warwick

marcus bell

• 1 month later...

I love the basslines on Emergency on Planet Earth, that's one album that really stole my attention in my younger days and influenced my playing hugely. SZ was 19 when he recorded that. NINETEEN! I was barely finished bunnyhopping my bmx at 19. Actually that's not true, I was a firefighter. But anyway...

Sorry to be potentially controversial and miss the point of this thread cataclysmically but...

So much of what you hear comes from your fingers, not your gear. It's the age old cliche I know! If you're a good funk player you can be funky as hell on anything. If you're a good metal player you can be utterly filthy hard and heavy on anything.

Obviously buying the right gear to achieve the ballpark tone/style in the first place is what's being discussed here so I'll shut up now and go stare at my 1996 Corvette and pretend I'm a young Stuart Zender, about to become one of the worlds most admired funk bassists and pull an All-Saint while I'm there.

(And yes I love my bass a bit too much)

:)

Edited by WarwickPaul

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1358728188' post='1944296']
In my jamiroquai phase at the moment and realising how good stuart zender was and I love his sound!

I NEED a warwick!
Anything like a corvette, steamer or a rockbass the cheaper the better :). Something slightly better around the £500 mark would be ideal,

What do people think of these basses? The different models and options

What's the difference sonically and performance between a passive and active warwick?
[/quote]
Believe me. Nobody needs a Warwick. Great necks. Great, great necks even. Lacking something in the sound department.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1363376647' post='2012164']
everyone should own at least one warwick - they're epic :) Obviously I'm biased, but the thumb is a classic and believe me, they lack *nothing* in the sound department :D :D
[/quote]

+1
Nothing missing whatsoever from Warwick in the sound department.
The ergonomics can leave a little to be desired, the Thumb in particular, but I still love the look, might see about a medium scale Thumb is I ever win the lottery...

Eude

Well I beg to differ. Worst bass I ever owned was a custom shop Corvette. Awful thing with uncontrollable D.Bucks and wide wide neck. Never again for me. Try and think carefully before you buy my friend. They arent worth the cost. Oh ....... IMHO of course

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363306841' post='2011522']
Thread, it took a while, but your delivery of bollocks has finally arrived.
[/quote]

In my opinion, they have have great necks - but they don't sound great. Don't have much in the way of bottom end. I was always having to compensate using my amps. I think, personally, they might be okay of you're a slapper and a popper - but for rock tones, they're not my thing. No thump in there.

I had a 5 string Corvette $$, huge array of sounds and perfect for the music I was doing at the time. Amazing quality etc, but that neck is what alienated me. Too narrow a string spacing on too thick a neck, that and a lack of fret markers saw me move it on. I'd like another I'm the future perhaps, but not the way the pricing is going

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1363531385' post='2013685']

In my opinion, they have have great necks - but they don't sound great. Don't have much in the way of bottom end. I was always having to compensate using my amps. I think, personally, they might be okay of you're a slapper and a popper - but for rock tones, they're not my thing. No thump in there.
[/quote] depending on the model surely? Also bottom end would be one thing, thump tends to be slightly different place in the mix. I've found they don't suit all amps and I didn't like the whole mec active pups thing. It's got brats in it now - if anything there is too much bottom end on mine, but not much thump. For thump I use a p bass.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1363531385' post='2013685']
[/quote]

I agree with you about the necks, but I disagree that they "don't have much bottom end". My Streamer can rock it PHAAAT ... and hold it tight. Your perspective comes from the fact that you're a P-bass player, right? As LukeFRC says above, if it's the thump thing you're talking about then that's something else all together. There's nothing lacking in the sound of a Warwick. I've found those basses to be incredibly versatile. Such strong and present tone. What's not to like?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1363562993' post='2014253']
I agree with you about the necks, but I disagree that they "don't have much bottom end". My Streamer can rock it PHAAAT ... and hold it tight. Your perspective comes from the fact that you're a P-bass player, right? As LukeFRC says above, if it's the thump thing you're talking about then that's something else all together. There's nothing lacking in the sound of a Warwick. I've found those basses to be incredibly versatile. Such strong and present tone. What's not to like?
[/quote]

Yeah, maybe. I'm a Precision player. I have owned a Fortress One and a Streamer and borrowed a $$ thing for a couple of weeks. To me all of them had great fast necks. They were very slim, of course, compared to the tree trunk Precisions I favour. I just couldn't get the sound that I wanted out of any of them. They actually look high quality things when you see them and feel them ...... but I just couldn't get a clank and rumble out of them. I did try to like 'em, but they're not for me.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363612993' post='2014697']
They're not intended to sound like precision basses. Neither is the Jazz Bass - are you going to tell us that they're all useless too?
[/quote]

I don't mean to be rude. Maybe you're misunderstanding what I am saying? If you ignore my flippant initial comment about "nobody needs..." etc - then I say this.

As a Precision player (since forever) I dabbled in Warwicks a couple of times as lots of people said they were good. I think they probably are good - they certainly seem to be screwed together well.

They just don't do it for me sound-wise. They seem, to me, not to fill out the sound in a band anywhere like I can do with a Precision. I didn't expect them to sound like a Precision, but, nevertheless, didn't like the less substantial sound that I made with one (or three in my case).

I would correct you though. A Jazz can sound very similar to a Precision in certain circumstances. In fact I CAN get the sound I want out of a Fender Jazz bass. Lots of bottom end there - and I like the growl. From time-to-time, I buy the odd USA Black Jazz bass on a whim. They are good.

To me, personally, a thumping hard pick playing Precision player who plays in a band with the bass high and obvious in the mix, I could never get a Warwick to do it for me. I think the necks are great, but I personally think they lack a bit in the sound department.

I'm happy that you seem to like them though.

Edited by The Dark Lord