Why become a member? ×

My '12 Jazz, 2 Board Alder Body

gsgbass

I just picked up this 2012 Fender Am. Std. Jazz. I looked it over pretty well at the store, but I didn't notice until I got it home, and saw it was a two board Alder body. The resonance on this Jazz is incredible. The Rosewood fretboard has some nice grain going through too. The CS 60's sound great.

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/DSC_2177-1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1358614429' post='1942253']
Thats a very lovely example - congratulations. When Fender are on their game they make some fabulous basses
[/quote]

Thank you, Clarky. I had to lucky one time at least. Fender did do a nice job on this one. I named her Mabel. The D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound strings are a great sound, and fit.

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/6601H.jpg[/IMG]

I guess he means two-piece body, which you can tell by looking at the grain. Fender (and most other manufacturers) usually use two or three pieces for their bodies. If they are well matched it's very hard to see the join.

Edited by dannybuoy

They choose nicer bits of wood for natural and a lot burst finishes, often with two and, from Musicman, in a single piece.

With the three piece the neck connection and bridge are on the same piece of wood (the two wings just adding shape).

Not sure what is 'better' - paint it with an opaque finish and you could challenge anyone to hear any difference.

From what I've told in the past, an Alder wood body won't have a one piece body, because the diameter of the tree isn't large enough to make up for a solid blank board. So two, three, or more pieces in some cases makes up the Alder body. Other woods are large enough to do a solid body blank board. Ash, walnut, etc. They did do a nice job on the Rosewood for the fretboard on this Jazz, as well.

Thanks for the kind comments on my Jazz. I was lucky to find this one.

Edited by gsgbass