Why become a member? ×

Mid 80s MIJ Squiers? - now got my one - some questions?

Paul S

The massed brains of Basschat will know this.

MIJ Squiers, mid 80s. JV, SQ, Silver Series and E series. What is (are) the difference(s)? Apart from the letters that the serial numbers start with, obviously. They seem to command different price levels - why?

I just bought an E Series Jazz for not very much and wondered why? Just luck or are they really not worth much?

Thanks!

Edited by Paul S

JV = japanese vintage. Fender japan's attempt at a vintage reissue of the old 50's and 60's basses. The early ones especially are very good. Tend to command the highest price.

SQ = not a vintage reissue and modeled on slightly later instruments. Not as high end in fender japan's range

E series = the first lot they made that wasn't JV and SQ - basically made much the same time as some of the other series. Slightly different spec I would guess.

Silver series = early 90's, last squiers made in japan. Sometimes great, sometimes cheap, odd dimensions on the necks and stuff.

I think with all of them what you get is a great neck. Like really great. So if you have a E series with a great neck and it sounds good then you've a great bass. If I wanted something collectable and a bit special I would look for a 1st edition squier series JV. Otherwise, to be honest they all are pretty good- why did you get it for not much? Cos people look at the bit that say Squier and think that it's rubbish - ignoring the fact that a good one, and a good fender japan neck will be on a par with a new USA std one (IMO etc)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1358604821' post='1942064']
Although this deals with MIJ 80s Squier Stratocasters it's a fascinating read:

[url="http://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/truth-about-1980s-squier-strats.html"]http://planetbotch.b...ier-strats.html[/url]

Hope it helps.
[/quote]

Wow, complicated stuff. I just skimmed it but even so the convoluted variety seems endless.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358605396' post='1942078']
So if you have a E series with a great neck and it sounds good then you've a great bass. If I wanted something collectable and a bit special I would look for a 1st edition squier series JV. Otherwise, to be honest they all are pretty good- why did you get it for not much? Cos people look at the bit that say Squier and think that it's rubbish - ignoring the fact that a good one, and a good fender japan neck will be on a par with a new USA std one (IMO etc)
[/quote]

I will be collecting it on Tuesday, so hopefully in a position to know whether or not is is just a bargain, or an absolute steal :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1358606669' post='1942101']
Wow, complicated stuff. I just skimmed it but even so the convoluted variety seems endless.
[/quote]
Yes it is! I found that website when i was looking for a Squier Strat and had to read it a few times to work it all out. But it is a fascinating read.
If you think that's complicated have a look at the article on Korean Squiers on that website!

P.S. I had an E series Squier Strat many years ago and it was great. Really amazing value for the money. Wish i still had it!

Edited by BetaFunk

I remember seeing an equinox tv special in 1987 about the electric guitar and they interview Francis Dunnery (then from It Bites) and he reckons his cheap 100 quid squier is better than his "considerably more expensive" fender . I know this refers to his Stratocaster, but the same applies across the range to basses too. Check it out here : http://youtu.be/wI5QCem2fx4

George Harrison used a Silver Series Stratocaster when they first came out. I have a Jazz Bass Silver Series. I had two proper Fender Jazzes at the time I bought it but fell in love with the Squier and sold the other two. Neck is thicker at nut ( 40mm ) and pickups are much beefier sounding.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358605396' post='1942078']
JV = japanese vintage. Fender japan's attempt at a vintage reissue of the old 50's and 60's basses. The early ones especially are very good. Tend to command the highest price.

SQ = not a vintage reissue and modeled on slightly later instruments. Not as high end in fender japan's range

E series = the first lot they made that wasn't JV and SQ - basically made much the same time as some of the other series. Slightly different spec I would guess.

Silver series = early 90's, last squiers made in japan. Sometimes great, sometimes cheap, odd dimensions on the necks and stuff.

I think with all of them what you get is a great neck. Like really great. So if you have a E series with a great neck and it sounds good then you've a great bass. If I wanted something collectable and a bit special I would look for a 1st edition squier series JV. Otherwise, to be honest they all are pretty good- why did you get it for not much? Cos people look at the bit that say Squier and think that it's rubbish - ignoring the fact that a good one, and a good fender japan neck will be on a par with a new USA std one (IMO etc)
[/quote]

I had an E series telecaster, and it was the nicest telecaster I have ever tried.
I sold it in a moment of madness when I thought I was going to move to Canada and needed to reduce clutter extensively.

This is all rather encouraging! The serial number I was given equates to mid 80s Fuji-Gen. I have two other basses of similar provenance that are really nice so I'm really looking forward to picking it up on Tuesday. I just hope it isn't too heavy!!

Picked it up this evening. E 6 figure serial number, MIJ Squier Jazz bass. Filthy dirty with a bowed neck (E string was tuned to about B!!) tone pot doesn't seem to work. Apart from that I think I may have struck lucky. Weighs a touch over 9lbs, so on my limit for comfort. Feels nice to wear, though. I'll give it a good clean and take some pics over the next few days.

It is in extremely good, unplayed condition - hardly any fret wear or buckle rash, just a few dings but it is 25-ish years old. Nicely built. Neck stamp says Z JB 355, if that means anything. Braided brass strap from bridge pup to bridge and some holes where a pup guard would have been fitted once. Metal plate inside the control cavity. Nice little touch was the neck plate (unmarked) has a plastic washer so it doesn't stick straight into the wood. There are pics on the 'net of similar looking basses that were called a 60s re-issue or something - anyone know anything about these? Are there any particular things I should be looking for?