Why become a member? ×

Cheap fiver?

FleadomFighter

Evening all,

I'm thinking of getting a 5 string and likely stringing it with a High C rather than a low B for now, since most of my playing is soloey stuff for YT rather than in a band setting at the moment (boo!). I don't really want to splash out too much having just started new job and life outside of the family home in general. I've got my eye on a GSR205 which is only £240 [url="http://tinyurl.com/cmh3ckf"]online[/url], but can anyone give any other suggestions/advice on what to look for in a fiver?

Thanks!

Edited by FleadomFighter

I would keep an eye out for a Yamaha BB605, BBG5S, BBN5, etc, etc. They're awesome basses and they can go for about the same or less than the Ibanez you've been looking at! I picked up a BB605 several months ago for less than that, and it's just an incredible instrument, I prefer it to basses I've had costing many times more. There's always RBX375's going for next to nothing on ebay too, although personally I don't like them as much as the BB's mentioned above.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1358462594' post='1939875']
I would keep an eye out for a Yamaha BB605, BBG5S, BBN5, etc, etc. They're awesome basses and they can go for about the same or less than the Ibanez you've been looking at! I picked up a BB605 several months ago for less than that, and it's just an incredible instrument, I prefer it to basses I've had costing many times more. There's always RBX375's going for next to nothing on ebay too, although personally I don't like them as much as the BB's mentioned above.
[/quote]

+1 - can't go wrong with a Yammy! Great build quality, great sound too.

Another Yamaha fan here, I've had a TRB for a few years that I picked up for next to nothing considering how nice it is. As Dingus mentioned though, the BB series are 34" scale so you'll probably be better off looking for one of those if you're going to use a high C instead of a low B. Yamaha basses come and go on the for sale section here all the time.