Why become a member? ×

P with J neck ? Fender/Squier vs Warwick vs G&L vs ???

hamfist

OK, "if" you were looking for a P sound from a bass but with a 1.5" nut width, intermediate cost (lets say £400-£700), what would you buy and why ? New and/or used. Passive or active is fine.

What I've found so far (new) ......

Fender blacktop Jazz (P pickup a bit nearer neck than the trad P placement)
Fender P deluxe and FSR sea foam green P
Warwick Fortress rockbass
Warwick STreamer LX 4 rockbass
G & L SB2 tribute.

If it has a J pickup at the bridge that is a nice little bonus but not essential for me.

Obviously also in that price range are also MIA P deluxes and German Warwick streamer LX 4's and older Fortresses.

Just hit me with thoughts and ideas.

Fender Duff McKagan Signature Precision. P/J config, plus a TBX (treble boost) control.

I`d have had one of these in a snap if it had a P size neck.

Edit - this looks like it would fit the bill nicely:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196215-fender-bass-power-jazz-special/

Edited by Lozz196

I'd have no hesitation is going for the SB2. The only possible draw back (it is for some people anyway)
is that there is no tone knob, just two volume knobs. A small upgrade will fix that though.

Great basses for the money.....and that split coil pick up is a monster !! ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1358355766' post='1937698']
I'd have no hesitation is going for the SB2. The only possible draw back (it is for some people anyway)
is that there is no tone knob, just two volume knobs. A small upgrade will fix that though.

Great basses for the money.....and that split coil pick up is a monster !! ;)
[/quote]

Another vote for the SB1 here .

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358355765' post='1937697']
Fender Duff McKagan Signature Precision. P/J config, plus a TBX (treble boost) control.

I`d have had one of these in a snap if it had a P size neck.
[/quote]

Yowser, thats a lot of money for a MIM PJ Lozz. What makes it so special for you ?

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1358355544' post='1937690']
<<<<<< Standard MIM P with Allparts Jazz neck, as in avatar.
[/quote]

SOunds like a good option. However, I'd be nervous about swapping necks. Are they all the same size heel etc ? I'd have no idea about shimming. So I'd probably have to pay someone to do it.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358356451' post='1937727']
Yowser, thats a lot of money for a MIM PJ Lozz. What makes it so special for you ?
[/quote]

This is the bass its based on, made in Japan. Not bad for the money although the look is an acquired taste IMO.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196215-fender-bass-power-jazz-special/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196215-fender-bass-power-jazz-special/[/url]

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358356643' post='1937738']
These seem to be universally recommended, but as common as rocking horse sh1t. If you've got one to offer, I'm interested !
[/quote]

If i had one id be keeping shouting about it. They do come up every now and then though. Fantastic basses, ive had 3.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358356451' post='1937727']
[/quote]

It`s Fender, it`s white, and it`s Duff McKagan. All three add up to mucho cool for me - except the skinny neck.

[quote name='Ambassador' timestamp='1358356698' post='1937740']
I have a Warwick Fortress One which holds up pretty well against my MIM p bass for that particular tone and has the j pickup at the neck for more versatility :)
[/quote]
INteresting. Do you know if the Warwick "P" pickup is the same exact size and shape as the Fender ones ? ie. are they interchangeable with std aftermarket P pickups ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358357016' post='1937746']
INteresting. Do you know if the Warwick "P" pickup is the same exact size and shape as the Fender ones ? ie. are they interchangeable with std aftermarket P pickups ?
[/quote]

Well I just had a quick measure with a ruler lying about and the measurements seemed to match up to me but I would check yourself or with someone reliable beforehand

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358357016' post='1937746']

[/quote]
I've put a MEC (Warwick) P pickup in my Squier CV P, so yes, they are interchangeable.

Probably nothing to worry about but I found a Wizard Thumper (P pup) wouldn't fit my Squier as it was very slightly too long and wide. It was supposed to be a standard P pup but I had to file down both pick guards that I've had on that bass.
Just thought I'd point that out.

A few randomn thoughts - this has become my favourite configuration now, too.

Swapping necks is easy and the absolute sure-fire way of getting a P-Bass with a Jazz neck.. I bought a MIJ P Bass that had a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on it, albeit with tinted laquer. I swapped with someone for a clear laquer and it went on with no problem. It has become my favourite bass at the moment, especially with a P-Retro on board.

Fender Jazz Bass Special and/or Power Jazz Bass Special (this is the active version). They are P shaped, P/J pups and a J neck. Nice. But I wouldn't necessarily say they sound P-Bass-like. My Power Jazz Bass Special is more aggressive, although that might be because it has a SPB-3 in it, which I am not entirely sure about.

Thinking outside the box, as they look nothing like a P- Bass - a Hohner B-Bass or a Hohner Jack Bass or a B2A cricket bat can all manage to sound exactly like a woody old P bass and have skinny (ish) necks. you get a lot of bass for your money with those, too.

A Westone Thunder (or similar) fitted with a decent P-Pickup - say a Wizard Trad - will sound like a P-Bass but have one of those lovely Westone/Matsumoku necks that are nearer Jazz sized.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1358370070' post='1938130']
A few randomn thoughts - this has become my favourite configuration now, too.

Swapping necks is easy and the absolute sure-fire way of getting a P-Bass with a Jazz neck.. I bought a MIJ P Bass that had a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on it, albeit with tinted laquer. I swapped with someone for a clear laquer and it went on with no problem. It has become my favourite bass at the moment, especially with a P-Retro on board.

Fender Jazz Bass Special and/or Power Jazz Bass Special (this is the active version). They are P shaped, P/J pups and a J neck. Nice. But I wouldn't necessarily say they sound P-Bass-like. My Power Jazz Bass Special is more aggressive, although that might be because it has a SPB-3 in it, which I am not entirely sure about.

Thinking outside the box, as they look nothing like a P- Bass - a Hohner B-Bass or a Hohner Jack Bass or a B2A cricket bat can all manage to sound exactly like a woody old P bass and have skinny (ish) necks. you get a lot of bass for your money with those, too.

A Westone Thunder (or similar) fitted with a decent P-Pickup - say a Wizard Trad - will sound like a P-Bass but have one of those lovely Westone/Matsumoku necks that are nearer Jazz sized.
[/quote]

Thanks Paul, some decent, and well articulated ideas there. If I bought a Fender std P, would any std Fender Jazz neck fit on it. Are they all std sized heels and body sockets ? ie. everything interchangable, so long as I stick with Fender.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1358376890' post='1938342']
You say rock bass but I reckon you would get a proper streamer for about 700 second hand.

Actually -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188958-warwick-streamer-neck-thru-1988-wenge-emg-750-gbp-nownew-pics-and-price/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

There one is!!
[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware that a used Streamer LX is bordering on the top of my price range. However, having never played one, and being unlikely to do so, unless I actually commit to buying it, I have no way of knowing how "precision-like" the Warwicks with a P-type pipckup are. That is probably one of the bigger things holding me back.
I used to own a German STreamer $$ and found it very playable, and the build quality was superb. If I could get a bass like that, actually sounding genuinely like a P, I'd be thrilled.
And yes the bass you refer to will be well known to most on here, and does have an "issue".

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358370676' post='1938152']
Thanks Paul, some decent, and well articulated ideas there. If I bought a Fender std P, would any std Fender Jazz neck fit on it. Are they all std sized heels and body sockets ? ie. everything interchangable, so long as I stick with Fender.
[/quote]

That I don't know, I am afraid. I suspect Life isn't quite that straightforward, but the Mighty Mite neck is good value and was a direct fit into my P-Body. I am sure many folks on here will have a handle on the broader picture.