Why become a member? ×

About "naming and shaming" - my thread as well as in general

BassTractor

Folks,

Recently I started a name and shame thread about a Munich company called ProMusicTools. This naming and shaming was based on an error, and ProMusicTools became innocent victims.
Allow me some obvious thoughts on this.

First, if you haven't seen the thread:
They offered a "new old stock" Music Man bass.
I checked the serial number with Ernie Ball, and got a private message from Ernie Ball stating the instrument in question was definitely used, and that I would get no warranty if I proceeded with the purchase.
Long story short: after a lot of to and fro, Ernie Ball have now written to me stating they made a mistake, that the bass was NOS indeed, and legitimately exported from the US, and that ProMusicTools not only were in their right, but also are a very highly appreciated, hard working company who represent Ernie Ball very well [NB: this is my condensate from all the mail].

Sceptics might say the messages from Ernie Ball are corporate blabber. However, reading all the messages with scrutiny, what translates to me is the liberating lack of corporate blabber.
I received honest and direct responses to my concerns, and Ernie Ball were active in following up both me and ProMusicTools - who were quite taken aback by the whole situation.

I am now proceeding with this purchase, and have also ordered another bass from ProMusicTools.

I originally climbed in my fountain pen after reading the words "definitely used", and similar expressions, and in hindsight must admit that I reacted prematurely - before the process was complete and over.

In a larger context, this appears to me to be a good example about how one must show the utmost restraint in naming and shaming - and really have all the facts straight.
Don't do it like me, boys and girls ... and dinos!

best,
bert

Naming and shaming seems fine to me IF the full facts have been aired, tested and proven.

An analogy might the gutter press stirring up a sh*tstorm against someone who is accused of something heinous versus a report of a criminal trial where due process has been followed.

It's also wise to give an offending company every opportunity to resolve matters when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes - it's how they handle things afterwards that is the really important thing. If fact, as has been previously noted many times, a company cock-up is usually the ideal opportunity to really discover how seriously they really take customer service.

I've certainly been on the receiving end of poor quality goods where the supplier has juped through hoops to get resolved and left me feeling better about then than I did before the problem!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1358264438' post='1935913']
Go on, tell us you've ordered a Bongo now as well...
[/quote]

Yup! Will be with me in just four months! Special order, see.

I'm getting me a case as well! :lol: :D :ph34r:

best,
bert

PS, it's indeed a Bongo.
But you may have guessed.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1358264753' post='1935926']
Naming and shaming seems fine to me IF the full facts have been aired, tested and proven.

An analogy might the gutter press stirring up a sh*tstorm against someone who is accused of something heinous versus a report of a criminal trial where due process has been followed.

It's also wise to give an offending company every opportunity to resolve matters when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes - it's how they handle things afterwards that is the really important thing. If fact, as has been previously noted many times, a company cock-up is usually the ideal opportunity to really discover how seriously they really take customer service.

I've certainly been on the receiving end of poor quality goods where the supplier has juped through hoops to get resolved and left me feeling better about then than I did before the problem!
[/quote]

One thing to remember about name and shame threads is that if Basschat have any reason to believe that the facts are NOT correct and therefore the site is at risk, the threads will be removed.

While we do try to be fair in these situations the integrity of the site must come first.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1358265636' post='1935950']
or Big Bopper, hopper, shopper or whatever his name is is on your case within a millisecond of you posting it.
[/quote]

Sorry, John, but that's not fair.
It may take BigPoppa upto several minutes in some cases.
Happily though, his lackeys (sp?) will be in before him in those instances. :P

best,
bert

Editt: speling

Edited by BassTractor

Mod hat off

Oh, and don't whatever you do highlight and issue with a Musicman bass on the EBMM site, or Big Bopper, hopper, shopper or whatever his name is is on your case within a millisecond of you posting it.

Mod hat on!
[/quote]

What's that you say?

Actually if I ordered something (not necessarily a bass or even music related) and it turned up and was genually a woeful example compared to what it should be I'd relish the prospect of getting into a dialogue with the MD of the company in person on a forum to seek a resolution. Music manufacturers may be unusual in their accessibility in this respect. What would be the chances of personally getting in touch with the MD of a major car manufacturer if you ended up with a real dog off the assembly line?

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1358265442' post='1935945']
One thing to remember about name and shame threads is that if Basschat have any reason to believe that the facts are NOT correct and therefore the site is at risk, the threads will be removed.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Interesting. ;)

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1358265442' post='1935945']

While we do try to be fair in these situations the integrity of the site must come first.
[/quote]

Can't see any problem with that. I'd expect nothing less.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1358266271' post='1935963']
So have Ernie Ball apologised publically to ProMusicTools for the damage their mistake caused?
[/quote]

Not publically. What would the forum for that be?

But they've surely aplogised to me, and I expect to ProMusicTools as well. Both parties were very interested in speaking to each other, and both parties have everything to gain on good communication.

Two things went wrong: I started distrusting a good company, and Ernie Ball were too quick on the condemnation trigger. ProMusicTools however stayed calm and wanted to find out about every detail before drawing a conclusion.
Ironic, eh?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358283763' post='1936453']
I don't get it.. what *is* it about Bongos that makes them so controversial?

<looks confused>
[/quote]

Lots of posts about that, so apparently the Bongo doesn't leave people cold.
WHat I personally don't get is that the P gets both love and hate. It's the thing we've seen all our lives and are sooo used to that I thought it would never even be mentioned in a "prettiest" or "ugliest" thread.

There can only be one conclusion: we must get our facts straight before naming and shaming bass guitar designs. :)

best,
bert

Mod hat off

Oh, and don't whatever you do highlight an issue with a Musicman bass on the EBMM site, or Big Bopper, hopper, shopper or whatever his name is is on your case within a millisecond of you posting it.

Mod hat on!
[/quote]
Lol very true !

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1358325356' post='1936865']
I reckon EBMM should be named and shamed for being so inept. Also they should apologise to all parties for getting their facts so fundamentally wrong - information that is owned and managed by themselves.
[/quote]

Nah. This was just one employee with a little blackout. Happens everywhere. And he did rectify.

best,
bert