Why become a member? ×

Polish

Jimryan

Evening all,

Not an overly interesting topic I know, but...

Can anyone recommend a decent polish/de-greaser?

For years I've used the Kyser "dr stringfellow" polish. It's ok, but I'm after something that'll not only make my bass look new, but something that helps get some of the grease and oil off and that doesn't just smear. I remember this stuff being pretty good and now it's rubbish.

Any recommendations?

James

I've used Fender Polishing Kit for years, and its been great. (Not sure if its discontinued now though?)
[url="http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1277_fender-instrument-repair-kit.html"]http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1277_fender-instrument-repair-kit.html[/url]

Usually just use a Planet Waves microfibre polishing cloth dry - no need for polish! When restoring a "wreck" before, I have used a bit of Auto Glym I have knocking about.... did the job just fine! (although I wouldn't use it on a nitro finish!)

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1358245802' post='1935316']
and if you are quick (before it dries) you can set fire to your bass for extra rock and roll points.
[/quote]:) Definately. I must add though. I use lghter fluid all the time doing what I do but I dont work with paint jobs very often and there may be side affects for certain finishes as with any product. Bit of a disclaimer :) I do reccommend it though and it is industry standard for degreasing. We have to find cheaper alternatives for this sort of thing. I stand by the fact that if it has a logo (such as fender) written on the tin you will be paying way over the odds for a product that is available at a much lower cost by another name. They dont advertise the fact that the product is actually just 'tap water' for a reason. :)

I use Gibson polish which a mate in the US sends to me cost they don't (last time I checked) sell it here now. Simlar to the pump spray one but without the lemon in it. I once used that, ignored the instructions, & just sprayed it straight onto the bass, it put a bloody big scorch mark in the finsh which took ages to polish out.
The US one has a lot of wax content & smells just like the first tin of it I bought in 1979.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1358189746' post='1934590']
The best degreaser is naptha (lighter fluid).
[/quote]

You could've warned me how difficult to find it is. For one I didn't realise supermarkets had been told to stop selling lighter fluid (just as well I don't smoke/use my zippo anymore).

So, after reading online that naphtha can also be bought from painting and decorating stores, I thought I'd try that route. Homebase no good. One builders merchant, nothing. Second builders merchant, had heard of it, was quite helpful, but didn't stock it. Brewers painting and decorating place, never heard of it, doesn't exist.

So much for doing that today.

I'll try again at the weekend.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358422965' post='1938774']
You could've warned me how difficult to find it is. For one I didn't realise supermarkets had been told to stop selling lighter fluid (just as well I don't smoke/use my zippo anymore).

So, after reading online that naphtha can also be bought from painting and decorating stores, I thought I'd try that route. Homebase no good. One builders merchant, nothing. Second builders merchant, had heard of it, was quite helpful, but didn't stock it. Brewers painting and decorating place, never heard of it, doesn't exist.

[/quote]

First of all "naphtha" is a USA term for methylated spirit AFAIK. Next time you are in a DIY shop ask for this
and you should have more luck.

Having said that, I'd be very careful about using this on the body of the bass.
If you wish to try it out, try it on a tiny portion of the bass where it cant be seen.

IMO methylated spirit is too severe to be used on the body of a bass.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358422965' post='1938774']

[/quote]

There's one newsagent near me that sells it- or did - I bought the last of his stock of 6 tins of Swan fuel after having the same problems as you.

Try your nearest Timpson's shoe repairs, many of them stock Zippo's and the fuel to go with them, but you pay a lot more for the Zippo logo.