Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super Jazz Bass Sunburst/Tortie/Passive SOLD

warwickhunt

Canadian made Dingwall, with lots of info available on-line or visit the Bass Direct site for quite a bit of info. It is very light, well balanced and resonant. Not sure if the fingerboard is morado or a nice piece of close grained rosewood. This is the 'passive' version and I have to say that although I generally play active basses and expected this to maybe not quite have some of the sparkle that an active bass can have it REALLY surprised me; it actually sounds as bright and tight as any active bass yet it does the whole passive vibe great.

The fanned frets... they are nowhere near as awkward or difficult to play as you imagine, in fact they aren't really any different at all. The litmus test is that Water-of-Tyne (died in the wool Fender head) tried this bass last week and he commented how easy it was to play (I won't use the word 'adapt' as you don't need to change your playing style). The only subtle changes you need to make are when you go up the dusty end but even then, the natural rotation of your wrist/hand means that the fanned frets actually help.

The bass is in excellent nick with no dings, dinks or worming and comes complete with the SKB/Dingwall hard case.

I don't 'think' that there's any trades I'd be interested in other than a vintage/Limited Warwick but you never know you can try me but ensure your trade has been accurately weighed and comes in under 9lb! ;)

[s]£1575[/s] [s]£1500[/s] £1400

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1357984996' post='1931270']
Just a quick question, do the fanned frets make it more difficult to play chords?
[/quote]
I don't play a lot of chords but the 11ths that I sometimes use are actually easier; when you think it through, chords further up the neck don't have as far a reach across the strings.
[quote name='BigJim' timestamp='1357989489' post='1931371']
Dude why can't this have an extra string! Best of luck bro, great basses
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#333333]Stick one of those new Hipshot 2 step D-tuners on it and you are only missing 1 semi-tone! ;)[/color][/size]

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1357984996' post='1931270']
Just a quick question, do the fanned frets make it more difficult to play chords?
[/quote]

I'd say no. There is a bit of readjustment required but I was comfortable with my Afterburner within 10 minutes, it's very intuitive really. Having played a Dingwall for some time I am a fan fret convert, it feels more comfortable, much more even feel & response across the strings & the whole thing just feels more "in tune". When I switch to a regular fretted bass now it sounds like the B,E & A are a different instrument to the D & G. If I had the money I would be all over this one.

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1357995849' post='1931527']
I'd say no. There is a bit of readjustment required but I was comfortable with my Afterburner within 10 minutes, it's very intuitive really. Having played a Dingwall for some time I am a fan fret convert, it feels more comfortable, much more even feel & response across the strings & the whole thing just feels more "in tune". When I switch to a regular fretted bass now it sounds like the B,E & A are a different instrument to the D & G. If I had the money I would be all over this one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the second opinion re. chords and you are right about the uniformity in tension and tone across the strings! ;)

Just to add that the E string is just over 34" and the G string slightly over 32" so there is no worries over longer stretches as you might think that you'd have on say a 36" scale.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but I 'think' that the 5 string is the only Super-J that has graphite rods, which are installed due to the longer scale and to stiffen the neck. However, if you're interested and it's a deciding factor I can contact Dingwall (Sheldon is registered on here so he may even be able to answer in person). ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...