Why become a member? ×

Levinson Blade B4 ?

petetexas

Hi Guys,

Just bought a secondhand Levinson Blade. I believe it is a B4, pics to follow.

Does anyone know anything about these.

Been on the web site, seems the B4 is no longer made. Got the info regarding the three "trim" pots inside ( high, mid

and low ) and the toggle switch.

Ebony fingerboard, ash body ( see through purple ), gold hardware etc.

Any info would be received with thanks.

Pete

Edited by petetexas

I've owned 2. They are fab basses, high quality Japanese build, excellent components and the best necks, with beautiful ebony boards.

The tonal options with the trim pots are far ranging.

They are seriously underrated (unknown) and underpriced IMHO.

If they had a passive option on the preamp and were a little lighter, I'd still have them.

Good purchase!

Also Gary Levinson is really helpful if you want any info on your bass.

Edited by oldslapper

Hi,

Thanks for info..............I bought it as a second bass to my American jazz, but now I feel as thought the Jazz is going to take a back seat !

Any info regarding the headstock shape, this one has the fender shape, but from bits of info that I have gained, it was stopped by Fender ?

Pete

Lovely instruments - their Strats are far superior to any Fender I've ever tried. As for the basses, I only had a quick try of the B1 which is the current cheaper version, I think yours has been replaced by the B2. They do seem to have a thing about see through purple - perhaps it's a Swiss thing! Great second hand buy, as with all these lessr known brands, they don't hold their value as they don't have a recognisable name on the headstock. Congrats on getting such a nice bass!

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1357988633' post='1931352']
Hi,

Thanks for info..............I bought it as a second bass to my American jazz, but now I feel as thought the Jazz is going to take a back seat !

Any info regarding the headstock shape, this one has the fender shape, but from bits of info that I have gained, it was stopped by Fender ?

Pete
[/quote]

Yeah Pete, fender took exception to the headstock, so the later Blades have a slightly different headstock shape.
The last one I owned had Ernie Ball cobalt strings on. Really seemed to suit the ebony board and really showed off the preamp.

Enjoy!

Hi Guys,

Just had a e-mail from Levinson confirming from the serial number that it is a B4 - made early 1991.

They also confirmed that the headstock shape was changed 2004 ( because of Fender complaining ! )

Also sent me a pic of the advert for a B3 and B4, with a copy of the settings for the internal eq trim pots - WHAT A

COMPANY !

Pete

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1357981871' post='1931216']
I've owned 2. They are fab basses, high quality Japanese build, excellent components and the best necks, with beautiful ebony boards.
[/quote]

If this was bought from Musical Express it is is the one you sold me John. Very nice bass but I wasn't playing it and it was too nice to sit around a work for lunch breaks.
Congratulations on your new bass Pete, it certainly is a thing of beauty.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1358272188' post='1936104']

If this was bought from Musical Express it is is the one you sold me John. Very nice bass but I wasn't playing it and it was too nice to sit around a work for lunch breaks.
Congratulations on your new bass Pete, it certainly is a thing of beauty.
[/quote]

LOL!
You're right Ed, it needs to be played in anger.

Hi Pinball,

Yep its yours from Music Express ( I was the Guitar Tech showing you the controls on the Sandberg ! )

When I took it in the workshop for a set up ( more of a tweek really - it was pretty well set up anyhow ) I fell in love with it !

Used it last night at full blown rehearsal, great sound, but must find out how to set the hum pots . Had a very loud " hum " when near

the amp ( old school GB750 Head with massive transformer - NOT digital power supply )

Anyone know how ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

AAh cool, I didn't recognize you from your picture.:)

If you can find hum pot settings your doing well :)

I did tweak settings until I got something that I really liked but no in depth knowledge here I'm afraid. A PM to Oldslapper should do it as he knows them better.

Thanks for the tips, you can report back that I'm very happy with it. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Hi,

Was having "hum" from amp, when close by with Bass.

Now I believe I have set the hum trim pots correctly...............( no hum )

I set up as though I were playing live ( full rig at gig volume ) leads connected etc.

Removed backplate from Bass ( locate the two hum trim pots - NOT the EQ trim pots )

Stood as close to amp as possible to get the "hum"

Turned the p/up blend control to the neck p/up,

Turned the neck p/up trim pot clockwise and anti - clockwise untill the sweet spot was found with no "hum"

Turned the p/up blend to the bridge p/up

Turned the bridge p/up trim pot clockwise and anti-clockwise to find the sweet spot with no "hum"

Hey presto - solved !

I`m not saying this is the correct way, but it worked for my B4

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem

Pete

Edited by petetexas