Why become a member? ×

Manchester bass shops

funkyhobbit

Dawsons, just outside of Picadilly Gardens is my favourite. Chase (Just up the road from Afflecks Palace, again just outside Picadilly Gardens) is good but it's mostly Shine brand stuff and the occasional cheapo Stingray copy or Jackson, quite a small shop but a lot of guitars and basses. There's also Forsyths on Deansgate, although their bass selection is minimal (from what i remember) but it's good to look at all the guitars i can never afford.

Those are the 3 i visit, mostly Dawsons though. There's PMT in Salford as well but i've not been myself. Others on here will have though.

Liam

PMT has a reasonable amount of stuff in it. There's alao Jonny Roadhouse but I've never been there.

For basses the Manchester Bass Longe is interesting (pre-owned stuff). Give Drew a ring and arrange a visit but I'd leave your wallet in the car!

Edited by ead

For a pot luck worth a try effort Johnny Roadhouse up Oxford Road, past the BBC on the same side, is worth a look.

They had a Jazz (ex-Bonehead one of the staff is a mate of his) for months recently, usually some old stuff part-ex's etc.
Worth a phone call first.

PMT Salford has a fair selection, Fender, Yamaha, Musicman etc, and plenty of amps. Sounds Great in Heald Green is a great shop, but expensive, and geared more for guitarists. My new fave is Promenade up in Morecambe, an hour north.

For quality basses, the best selection will be Drew's place in Worsley, he's got a detailed website (www.manchesterbasslounge.com), and he's always worth a call. Nobody else will make you a coffee when you visit. You'll need to ring him first, though.

PMT have a bit of a random selection, but have plenty of Fenders, Peavey, Yamaha, Ibanez, Ashdown and Ampeg stuff, a few secondhand ones too. Dawsons have a few basses, but not many, all new stuff. Johnny Roadhouse is again worth a ring before you go, as it's all secondhand.

Toneworld's a new place in Ancoats, looks nice but I can't see any basses :(

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1357736556' post='1927444']
Toneworld's a new place in Ancoats, looks nice but I can't see any basses :(
[/quote]

Nope - I believe Toneworld is all guitars - tossers!

There are plenty of Cash Convertors around if you can find a Wal for £50.

There aren't really any decent places in Manchester now (Acadamy of Sound used to be good but it shut. PMT are probably the best retail outlet at the moment but the Manchester Bass Lounge looks a better bet depending upon your needs. I believe you need to book an appointment with them.

Another vote for Promenade music up in Morecambe or if you have your passport handy, Electromusic in Doncaster. You would have to travel to get to either of these though.

2.5 hours south gets you to Bass Direct!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1357734305' post='1927373']For a pot luck worth a try effort Johnny Roadhouse up Oxford Road, past the BBC on the same side, is worth a look.[/quote]

Ditto! Can be hit and miss in terms of what they have in stock, but worth a look and something of a Manchester institution in itself.

That and Dawsons are my own favourite haunts. I think one of the people at Dawsons is a Basschat member.... can't remember who but they might pop up in this thread.

[quote name='funkyhobbit' timestamp='1357753680' post='1927905']
Thanks for all your replys.. I have made an appointment with Drew for Friday. In the meantime i will check out dawsons and pmt.
Best regards, mark
[/quote]

....and....what happened next, I think we should be told.