Why become a member? ×

mid life crisis!

chuggs

Hi, New on here!

Unlike many of my contemporaries my mid life crisis has has lead me down the road of playing Bass rather than purchasing a ludicrously quick motorbike, or Fanny magnet 2 seater sports car (Which i would only wrap around a tree anyway!)

Having played in my late teens and early twenties i have re-connected with my old bass playing self after a break of 20 years, and hooked up with fellow musicians with a similar outlook and tastes.
We play mainly Rock, Guns n Roses, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC etc etc. We throw in some newer stuff aswell, Killers, Kings of Leon etc.

As the band is going quite well i feel that i need a new bass rig that will compliment our style and offer me more of a pro sound.

I currently play a Rick 4003 (My main bass) and a Fender (USA Built) precision through a "Laney G300" Head coupled with a matching
2 x 10 Cab sitting on top of a 1 x 15 cab. The rig is an ebay special and i reckon is 18 years old. It is in great condition for its age and their is absolutely nothing wrong with it; however i am in the market to take my sound up a notch and have been contemplating the following:

Ampeg SVT 450H and 6x 10
Ashdown abm 500 and 6x10
TC electronic RH450 and matching 4 x 10

Has anyone on here any experience of the above three?
all the best Chuggs

Hey Chuggs,

Welcome!
You may find BC to be a nice place, so give it a chance and see.

Sorry, can't answer the question, as I have no experience with those. Others will surelt chime in and advise. If not, ask again in the Amps and Cabs section.

Enjoy your new life!

best,
bert

[quote name='chuggs' timestamp='1357674105' post='1926559']
Hi, New on here!

Unlike many of my contemporaries my mid life crisis has has lead me down the road of playing Bass rather than purchasing a ludicrously quick motorbike, or Fanny magnet 2 seater sports car (Which i would only wrap around a tree anyway!)

Having played in my late teens and early twenties i have re-connected with my old bass playing self after a break of 20 years, and hooked up with fellow musicians with a similar outlook and tastes.
We play mainly Rock, Guns n Roses, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC etc etc. We throw in some newer stuff aswell, Killers, Kings of Leon etc.

As the band is going quite well i feel that i need a new bass rig that will compliment our style and offer me more of a pro sound.

I currently play a Rick 4003 (My main bass) and a Fender (USA Built) precision through a "Laney G300" Head coupled with a matching
2 x 10 Cab sitting on top of a 1 x 15 cab. The rig is an ebay special and i reckon is 18 years old. It is in great condition for its age and their is absolutely nothing wrong with it; however i am in the market to take my sound up a notch and have been contemplating the following:

Ampeg SVT 450H and 6x 10
Ashdown abm 500 and 6x10
TC electronic RH450 and matching 4 x 10

Has anyone on here any experience of the above three?
all the best Chuggs
[/quote]

Welcome.

Speaking from experience Ampeg are good for the rockier side of things. Their valve amps and SVT classic 410 cabs are fantastic. TC Electronic are very loud (personally I could never get the sound I wanted with mine) but make sure you go for the higher range cabinet the RS 410 as the cheaper BC range seems to have difficulty dealing with lots of watts. I do like Ashdown as they provide me with the sound I hear in my head. Very loud and easy to dial in a full, bluesy, rocky tone. I've had 3 of their amps (including the ABM 500),so you could say I'm a bit of a fan.