Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce Fretless Tribute

Andyjr1515

Hi All again :D

Been off line for sometime for a couple of reasons:

First is that I was given an assignment which has involved at least 4 days a week in Belgium (apparently someone has to) where they told me it was only until Christmas - and yes, they didn't tell me WHICH Christmas :rolleyes: So, 15 months later...

Second is that I took on a bit of a mammoth build project for our old-git's-band's bassist, Pete. He wanted me to build him a tribute to the fabulous Warwick Thumb Jack Bruce Signature Fretless. Bit of a steep learning curve (never built a neck before , etc, etc) but I'm pleased with the result - and I suppose more to the point, so is Pete.

It's not a straight copy, the main difference being the way the neck is fitted, but most things are close to original - bubinga wood for body, amazaque (v similar to ovangkol) neck splice with mahogany, ebony fretboard and headstock, MEC active p/ups, Warwick hardware. The EQ is 3-part Seymour Duncan, hence the extra knob. It sounds fabulous :D

Hope you like it. If anyone's interested, I can add the build process in the Build Diaries section - just let me know...I've got plenty of build shots :)

Andy

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357425205' post='1922618']
As a fledgling maker I would love to see the build process if you would be happy to share
[/quote]
Hi
I will post the build - might need to wait until next weekend (yes - Belgium beckons again) but it won't be forgotten!
Andy

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1361656399' post='1989034']
Build Diary is finished in the other section if anyone's interested.

Thanks for the nice feedback

Andy
[/quote]

I recommend a look at the build diary. The finished product is even more impressive when you see the steps leading up to it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1363118125' post='2008886']
Beautiful looking bass. I have a Warwick Thumb BO 4 lefty and was contemplating a 5 string NT fretless.
Have you ever built a lefty? Is it the exact same process?
[/quote]
Hi
Although I've never built one, the process is identical. The nut would need to be popped on the other way round and the bridge would either need to be a lefty version or a bit of careful filing, etc and a bit of imagination with the control chamber cover, but the basic construction would be identical. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1365175987' post='2036413']
My god that is beautiful you clever clever person you .)
[/quote]
Flattery will get you absolutely everywhere :lol: Thanks.

It is being used in anger tomorrow by Pete, our old-gits-band's bassist, at his daughter's wedding where we are the evening act - no pressure, then... :unsure:

Andy