Why become a member? ×

Mackie Thump 12a

BassBus

You will have to hear them, but I'd steer clear for a lot of reasons...
Clairty over volume is required IMO..as you can always add more volume.

We used a bass bin and outed it as quickly as we could...
They don't have the name they used to.

If you want decent P.A vox, the minimum standard ..IMO should be RCF.

Thanks for that. I should perhaps have put in a bit more info. We are unfortunately on a budget, around £500, otherwise the RCFs would be great. I'm in a jazz band and we only really need the PA for vocals. I was recommended the Thump speakers in a music store. We need something that will cope with lots of talking while we are playing. I had looked at the Samson 308i but was told that would struggle. I have another store to go to for a second opinion before I buy.

Assume that budget is for active..??
That is a tough ask, IMO.

If you are serious about the Mackies, get a demo to see whether they have clarity with your mixer.

My problem with a lot of companies making the cheaper end is where have they cut to the bone.
Ask about replacement horn parts... and what is the warranty like.

Ideally I'd like a much better PA too but a budget is a budget and buying second hand can be difficult.

For my two-pence worth try having a look at db Technologies - they're owned by RCF and have a reasonable reputation. I've got a pair of the Opera 405s that have had a lot of use and abuse over the years. The other budget line to look at is Studiospares' "Fortissimo" range. I've got one of their 12" actives that I use for monitoring. Spares support is good too - Studiospares stock the bass drivers, horns and amp modules.

For vocal use I've read comments that 10" or 12" drivers tend to have better mid-range response and are better for vocals.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357387921' post='1921903']
Assume that budget is for active..??
That is a tough ask, IMO.

If you are serious about the Mackies, get a demo to see whether they have clarity with your mixer.

My problem with a lot of companies making the cheaper end is where have they cut to the bone.
Ask about replacement horn parts... and what is the warranty like.
[/quote]

I hadn't really considered active until this week when I saw the Thumps. They are made in China like a lot of budget ranges. I'm looking at anything that might be useful.

If you are on a budget, take a look at the (active) Wharefdale Titans. I've used a pair as vocal monitors and FOH on smallish gigs (light rock band so should be a breeze for other less full sounding bands) and they do as good a job as more expensive makes; in fact they do a better job when compared to a pair of recent Mackie speakers (not sure if it was the Thumps).

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Ict-300-Passive-Pa-Speakers-with-amp-flightcase-/120917255601?nma=true&si=fZpkQaoOkbkVsj8EbHkM8du8AKc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Ict-300-Passive-Pa-Speakers-with-amp-flightcase-/120917255601?nma=true&si=fZpkQaoOkbkVsj8EbHkM8du8AKc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

Ok, they've sold, but this sort of thing would be a STEAL

Pickep up some 500's with controller ...which is always desirable for the BEST results. for under your budget
and we have spent £2k replacing them ...and come up short IMO.

Having previously used and gigged with active Mackie SRM's, i can vouch for them. We used the 450's and they were exceptional, clear and punchy, though now it appears there's a V2, and ours were the original version.

They're selling some V2 B Stock in the link below with free delivery, a little bit over your budget, but they're worth it

[url="http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/mackie-srm450v2-version-2-active-black.htm"]http://www.whybuynew...ctive-black.htm[/url]

Edited by fleabag

We're really happy with our Mackie Thumps - both 15 and 12. We put vox, acoustic guitar, mandolin and sometimes DI lead guitar (mainly for monitoring). We're not a loud band but they've always done everything we've asked of them and never had them turned up past halfway.

Brilliant to carry about as well!

Every time I hear bands using the Mackie's the sound seems incredibly harsh. Either I've never come across a band that can eq properly, or there's an issue with the Mackies. As mentioned by Warwickhunt the Wharfedale Titans are a decent buy for the money. I think the Martin stuff is OK but wildly overpriced when new although JTUK's link seemed like a reasonable price.
I know you're reluctant to buy used but with your budget I think used will give you something that sounds great. Anything new at that budget will be pretty low end.

All the help here is very useful. Used is an option we could go for but choice in that direction is not great. We are all based about 60 miles from the nearest big cities of Edinburgh and Newcastle. I wouldn't want to buy used unless I could try it out first. So new might be all there is as those can be easily tested. I'm going to take a trip to Soundslive in Newcastle soon and see what they can advise. They've always given me good service in the past.

Just be cautious taking advice from a shop as there's always an ulterior motive. That said my experience with Soundlive has always been very positive so they're worth a look. Not sure how swiftly you need to buy but if it were me I'd hold out for something used to show up. If anyone won't let youhear them first then walk away.

The Thumps are not as loud as the SRM450's and that is where the compromise has been made to produce them at the price. They would probably be plenty for a Jazz band though. I've only heard one band using the Thumps (the 15's) and they sounded pretty good, three female vocalists and acoustic guitar. The guy on the desk seemed to know what he was doing though and that definitely counts.

At the budget end it might be worth looking at the Alto Tourmaxes and the LD system speakers

If you don't mind passive speakers these would be good, you have 8 hours left http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261147456633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I'd happily pay £250 for them except I have a pair