Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 -- Ahhhhhhhhhh !

Chris Horton

I have a funny love / hate relationship with these beasts.
I have owned 4 different Stingray 5 bass guitars so far.

I am currently going through a quiet spell with regards to regular gigging. We have 2 kids and they are currently of an age that necessitates me to take a step back from regular gigging.

It has got me thinking ........ I spend a lot of time playing/practicing bass at home playing along to CD's etc.
I sold my Stingray 5's as I did not like the tone of the bass when I was noodling solo at home etc.

But , when I have played these bass guitars in a live band situation I have loved the tone and alway had great feedback from band members as the Stingray tone just seam to fit "in the pocket" with the rest of the band.

I have been a berk !
I need another Stingray 5 and I really regret selling my 2005 buttercream stingray 5 with maple neck !!

Please help , Am I right ?? Have I been a berk ??
Please Help me see the light !!

You definately need another Stingray mate! I LOVE mine!
There's a lovely one for sale here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193955-musicman-stingray-5-xmas-special-price/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193955-musicman-stingray-5-xmas-special-price/page__fromsearch__1[/url]
Please buy it so I don't have to :blush:

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1357079623' post='1917356']
Out of interest, what was it that you didn't like about the SR5 tone when playing at home?

CB
[/quote]

The tone from the bass was classic stingray :) loved it.
When playing bass unaccompanied at home I think that I liked a crisper / clearer tone.(mtd , Sadowsky)

There was nothing wrong with the stingray bass , the stingray tone was very creamy/ muddy in comparison when played solo.
The stingray really came alive when in a band situation.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357078620' post='1917331']
I have a funny love / hate relationship with these beasts.
I have owned 4 different Stingray 5 bass guitars so far.

I am currently going through a quiet spell with regards to regular gigging. We have 2 kids and they are currently of an age that necessitates me to take a step back from regular gigging.

It has got me thinking ........ I spend a lot of time playing/practicing bass at home playing along to CD's etc.
I sold my Stingray 5's as I did not like the tone of the bass when I was noodling solo at home etc.

But , when I have played these bass guitars in a live band situation I have loved the tone and alway had great feedback from band members as the Stingray tone just seam to fit "in the pocket" with the rest of the band.

I have been a berk !
I need another Stingray 5 and I really regret selling my 2005 buttercream stingray 5 with maple neck !!

Please help , Am I right ?? Have I been a berk ??
Please Help me see the light !!
[/quote]

I think you are being hard on yourself. Its all part of lifes rich tapestry. Every member of this forum probably can relate to the "post bass sale" regret feelings that you are currently going through. I also think I understand where you are coming from regarding the home rehearsal vs full volume band practise scenario...its a whole different dynamic. I have been there!

I have only ever owned a 4 string Stingray back in the 80's - it recorded beautifully and every engineer seemed to adore it. The 5 string version appears to me to be a bit of an industry benchmark. I love the look of them but have been told they are typically heavy...not good for my ruined back.

Bottom line?...buy another when you can afford it!

Chris, if you like a clear tone at home and an instrument which sounds well in a live situation, this is exactly what I get from my Bongo. There is a great range of tone at your disposal, and after a while the controls are easily manageable - in my opinion - as opposed to what some report. I've not ever tried a Bongo 5.

CB

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357080267' post='1917369']

I think you are being hard on yourself. Its all part of lifes rich tapestry. Every member of this forum probably can relate to the "post bass sale" regret feelings that you are currently going through. I also think I understand where you are coming from regarding the home rehearsal vs full volume band practise scenario...its a whole different dynamic. I have been there!

I have only ever owned a 4 string Stingray back in the 80's - it recorded beautifully and every engineer seemed to adore it. The 5 string version appears to me to be a bit of an industry benchmark. I love the look of them but have been told they are typically heavy...not good for my ruined back.

Bottom line?...buy another when you can afford it!
[/quote]

I think you are right.
Maybe I am being a little hard on myself , and I should have not sold "that" bass.
I bet there are a few BC members that feel the same way.

Edited by Chris Horton

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1357080650' post='1917377']
Chris, if you like a clear tone at home and an instrument which sounds well in a live situation, this is exactly what I get from my Bongo. There is a great range of tone at your disposal, and after a while the controls are easily manageable - in my opinion - as opposed to what some report. I've not ever tried a Bongo 5.

CB
[/quote]

Mmmmmm, maybe a bongo is one I should check out .....?
I have never played a bongo purely as the shape of the bass & headstock has put me off.

I love the shape of the stingray 5

There is no denying their great sound of the venerable Stingray 5 , but the tight string spacing , typical weight and the fact that the strings have a tendency to be very close to the edge of the fingerboard precluded me ever buying one myself . Looking at the basses you do have , I would say that yes a Stingray style sound is missing , but look at what you have got ! That Sadowsky M5 is one of the best 5s on the planet , with a spookily tight and focused low B and a very comfy 34 inch scale , and the MTD is up there too . Maybe you could get a used Stingray 5 at a bargain price if you wait for the right deal to come up .

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1357081231' post='1917390']
Might a Classic 5 with the 2 band eq get closer to the sound you crave Chris ?

Regards
Harry
[/quote]

I have never played or heard a Classic 5.
Are they tonally different to a stingray 5?

Do you have a classic 5 Harry ?

There are so any bass guitars that I have not played yet

Edited by Chris Horton

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357081712' post='1917394']
There is no denying their great sound of the venerable Stingray 5 , but the tight string spacing , typical weight and the fact that the strings have a tendency to be very close to the edge of the fingerboard precluded me ever buying one myself . Looking at the basses you do have , I would say that yes a Stingray style sound is missing , but look at what you have got ! That Sadowsky M5 is one of the best 5s on the planet , with a spookily tight and focused low B and a very comfy 34 inch scale , and the MTD is up there too . Maybe you could get a used Stingray 5 at a bargain price if you wait for the right deal to come up .
[/quote]

Yeah , I agree.
3 of my 4 stingray 5's were too heavy for me.
And I forgot about the G string being too close to the edge of the fingerboard :D you do kind of get used to it after a while.
Your right ...... I am very fortunate to have such a beautiful bunch of bass guitars. The Sadowsky in probably the best 5 string bass that I have ever played. Your right , The B string is incredible on that bass.

Why do we do it to our selves?
We never seam to be happy with what we have.

I shall now go and give myself a stern talking too

Alas I don't have a Classic 5 Chris, I have my home built fretless Blingray which has a 3 band MM pre from a SR5 and a Duncan SMB4a pickup
I know what you mean about the tone, but it's nice on a fretless
I got one of Tommo's 2 band Sabre pre's to go into a build and out of curiosity wired it up to the Blingray
It definitely sounded crisper, very impressive, so I'm shoving another one into a 5 string build with a Delano MM pickup on the sweet spot for a homemade Classic 5-ish !
There are some Classic 5 clips on YouTube, worth a look, I think they sound lush but I'm biased!
Good luck with your dilemma, and yes, we've all been there!

Harry

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357084400' post='1917428']
Can you explain the phrase "venerable Stingray 5" ?
Is it the design or tone etc that you are referring to ?
[/quote]

I mean that it is venerable in that it is accorded a degree of respect because of its distinct character and distinguished heritage - it's been around a long time doing a great job .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357081411' post='1917392']

I think you are right.
Maybe I am being a little hard on myself , and I should have not sold "that" bass.
I bet there are a few BC members that feel the same way.
[/quote]

Ive owned 3 mm stingray 5s and moved em on to try different basses. Combination of not havin the money to be able to get away from one out one in policy and grass looks (or sounds) greener over there. I wud say i regretted parting with each one as they were all good. Ive just maybe learnt not to beat myself up over it cuz i cant afford everything i want so move around on gear a bit. They are kinda like a benchmark of a sort. Id buy another and put a match to the GAS.
Im struggling at the minute over a four string buy. GAS never really in check.

Have you thought about other 5 strings that will do the Stingray thing but without some of the perceived drawbacks of the EBMM SR5 , Chris ? There are many on the market , and even basses like the EBMM 25TH Anniversary with the HH or single H configuration will arguably better the SR5 in certain respects . I have seen these cropping up at very reasonable prices on the used market recently . The Warwick basses with MM style humbuckers can also be had for fairly cheap and sound brilliant to me .

Edited by Dingus

In other news, I've been practicing solo with my Ray 5 HS for a long time. I've come to love the ergonomics.

Usually, its very clean and pristine through a Genz SMax 9.2...so barely any colour.

I used the same amp, flat EQ on the bass, with a VT Bass V2 pedal. Yowza. That pedal is something else. Instant Ampeg fat warm tones, or very grindy aggressive Flea tones, all the way to all out distortion.

My favourite setting was the bridge single coil solo'd with some grit. Very middy and aggressive!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357146706' post='1918169']
The Sterling 5 SHOULD be lighter overall...on average, but my Ray 5 HS and Sterling 5 HS are both stunningly light. I'm guessing the Ray 5 is less than 9lbs.
[/quote]

Oh no !!!
Don't get me started !!
I have had some really bad trapped GAS for a stingray 5 with the HS configuration for nearly 2 years now !!

How do the Sterling HS & Stingray HS compare tonally?

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357153641' post='1918318']
Oh no !!!
Don't get me started !!
I have had some really bad trapped GAS for a stingray 5 with the HS configuration for nearly 2 years now !!

How do the Sterling HS & Stingray HS compare tonally?
[/quote]

Easy to put into words, for once!

Sterling - HS and HH versions ALL in series mode. Pickups are ceramic. Both these elements mean the Sterling is one aggressive bass! Very middy and bitey, with the classic Musicman bottom end and treble snap. The pups seem hotter to me compared to a Ray 5 (the CURRENT Ray 5's) and the EQ seems to have more effect.

Stingray - HS and HH versions ALL in parallel. Pickups are alnico. Classic Stingray tone. The HS is now the ONLY Ray 5 you can get that will allow you to solo the single coil in the bridge pup.

Edited by Musicman20