Why become a member? ×

Hey im new

Tjboltonw

Hi i am tom, i am 16 years old and turning 17 next month . I have 4 basses. My first ever bass i bought as a kit second hand for 70 quid and was an encore bass. My second bass i got was for my birthday and christmas with an amp. it was an epiphone sb something and a Marshall 35 watt amp.
for two years i have been saving up for a bass, and during that time i bought a acoustic bass. It was 130 quid of amazon. i would recommend if you where going to by an acoustic bass that you should spend for 200ish quid range but that just my personal opinion.
3 months ago i bought my baby of ebay, an ernie ball music man stringray made in america. All in black and lovely. it cost me 570 quid with a hard case and leather strap , lovely :D
Now i am saving up for a nice amp to play with my friends and possibly gig. I have been looking portable loud but nice sounding amp Gallien Krueger MB115 Bass Combo im looking at the moment. Sorry if this isnt great im not great at writing , in general. If you have any suggestions of amps then just write or whatever you do on this website and if you want to know more about the sterling then just ask. As i know some people haven't heard of sterlings made in america but hey what do i know
Cheer Tom

Welcome. You have come to the right place for making friends, sharing and learning.
I tried a forum here in the States but did not like it so signed up here and have not regretted a single minute.
Just wish someone could help an old man figure out how to turn on spell check.

I will try not to be too envious of your MM Sting Ray and will start by saying well done young man, well done.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1357161671' post='1918540']
Welcome to the site Tom! You're doing well mate, when I was 16 I only owned one bass and it cost me £50 :D Enjoy your journey!
[/quote]

Hi! :hi: ... There's an echo in here - Oops it's me! Welcome to Basschat Tom!! :crigon_04:

I bought my first bass, with my first weeks wages £100 at age 17.. (Aria Pro II + 50W practice amp).. I'm almost 40 now.. still noodling.. and still learning!!

Edited by SimonEdward

Welcome Tom!

You have some nice gear!

I don't know what sort of amps would sound good with a stingray, but flea has used GK amps since RHCP formed, and i really admire his tone. Although it seems quite bright and trebly, even a bit cold to a degree i think. I have an ashdown head, and it's just full of bass and warmth. I'm sure there are 100 people who could direct you to a decent amp here if you told them what sort of sound you were going for.

When i was 16, i was still pretending i could play instruments. Now i'm 20, and i'm still pretending :D (although i have actually bought a real bass since then). My advice would be to avoid the really cheap basses, they aren't normally worth it i have found (i have tried to prove myself wrong about 15 times now, and i'm only playing 2 years :D)

Keep rocking, Tom! By the time you are my age, you will be an awesome bassist!