Why become a member? ×

What head and cabs to go for

andysleigh

So im in need of a new amp, my laney dp100 keep cutting out, and doesn't go quite loud enough.

Il mostly be playing my Gibbons RD artist, which i lvoe as it gives me the grunty top end i want.

A couple of heads i have been looking at are
Ampeg portaflex 500
Ashdown mag 600 [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid27142/cid685/ashdown-mag600-head-plus-mag410t-cab.asp"]http://www.andertons...mag410t-cab.asp[/url]
Aquilar tonehammer 350 or 500

Lightweight, larger, or valve?

then cabs might be best?
somthing 4x10

what do you folks think?
It doesnt have to be new, any secondhand ones i might look out for?

cheers!

Edited by andysleigh

Having tried just about every light weight head out there I decided on Tone Hammer 500 - has the right combination of clean power with the potential to warm up really quickly with some judicious use of the drive control :)

One of the biggest differentiators in terms of cab is going to be whether you want a more traditional ceramic magnet loaded one or a lighter weight neodymium.

I really like the Aguilar 4x10's but both the GS and DB are fairly weighty. They did make a light weight SL for a while but it's been discontinued. Guitar Guitar still have a couple though.

My personal favourite pairing with the TH500 is a pair of Aggie's SL 112's. having 2 matching cabs gives options for smaller / larger venues but its beginning to get expensive for this set up.

The only one of those listed I have experience of is the PF500, which is a great amp.

That said, in my - what seemed never-ending - search for the right set-up, I finally looked at amps which, instead of going by recommendation, I liked the sound of when watching other bands. And for me, the brand that I always liked above all others - surprisingly more than Ampeg - was Markbass.

I`ve had numerous amps over the last couple of years, buying this/that, then never really getting exactly what I wanted from them, although they were all good amps. It was fun, but the sensible side of me wishes I`d tried the above way from the start. It`s difficult to tell in isolation in a music shop, or from recommendations, if an amp is right for you in your band setting. Whereas if you see a band and think the bassists sound is great, chances are his kit will work for you.

Thanks dudes

I think thats a wise choice, to try some out.
Planned on going down to the local shop to try out some. Not a great selection but got some i like.

The aquilar cabs alone are about my budget for a whole setup!
Im sure they are great tho

Im in love with the tone here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0M9CUppC1Y
i believe hes using a svt 400. theres a fender BXR bass amp on the rig as well. but not sure if its being used.
mesa cabs.

Edited by andysleigh

I tried out a pf500 in andertons today.
I dno if it was the head or cabs, but something didnt sound right.
Frist through a tc electronic 410, which sounded a bit sterile.
then through an ampeg b 410, which sounded to honky, and middy.

tried the 350 through an ashdown 112. thats was pretty good.

also tried the micro cl, and that gave me nearer the sound i wanted!

Edited by andysleigh

What sounds good to us may not sound good to you. But as far as general advice is concerned Ashdown Mag 600 amps are very loud and have a decent sound but don't sound good through Ashdown Mag speakers (as they tend to fart out once the volume starts to build).
As far as speakers are concerned after owning a barefaced compact, an Ashdown Classic ABM 1x15 and a TC electronic 2x10 I've come to the conclusion that an Ampeg SVT 410HE beats them all for loudness and general rocktasticness.

Had to do a kit share with a guy using the Ampeg. He was worried about it's reliability and I have to say my markbass knocked into a cocked hat, sound-wise. I won't say what cab he ran it through just incase he's on here but it was the first time in a long time I struggled to get a sound I was happy with. I'd have the tone-hammer every time from your short list, and as I often say on here, a Hartke 410XL isn't a bad place to start for a 410. There's a lot said to bad mouth 410s on here but mine is great fun, tonal shortfalls accepted.

Must admit Scalpy, I prefer the Little Mark Tube like you`ve got to the PF500. My fave amp I`ve ever had - actually got rid of the PF500 for it, and I loved the PF. If I hadn`t needed a combo I`d have kept the LMT and had two of the Markbass NY121 cabs with it.

the tonehammer 500 is a lovely amp! its got the agro drive circit in there which is a lovely dirt sound if you want it! and they are loud! also the build quailty on aguilar is second to none! my old db750 was and is to date still the best amp ive ever had!!!

but i would honestly give the markbass lmt 500 a go, they really are amazing heads! and can be got secondhand for about 350? id probs still have mine if i hadnt seen a got gas for my headlite!

also i know you've not said about then but the hartke hydrive cabs are awesome!!! the 112 is such a portable cab and has a tweeter and is swtichable between 4 and 8 ohms so you can have one for small gigs and 2 for the larger and it 300w. id do this but i have fallen for the sound of one of these and a 15" hydrive together!

andy