Why become a member? ×

Some nice deals at Guitarcenter if you're traveling to the US...

tredders

I'm off to Dallas at the start of Jan with work, so just happened to be browsing the GuitarCenter website (as you do). Generally find time to pop in there and have a look around when I'm traveling over there, so thought I'd see if there were any offers on.

Seems like there are some cracking deals right now. For example: -

AV-62 Jazz for $1200 (£735)
AV-62 Precision for $1160 (£715)
Roadworn Jazz or Precision for $999 (£615)

Add on 8% sales tax, and they're still great deals for brand new basses.

Repeat after me "I don't need any more basses. I don't need any more basses" :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1355867421' post='1903933']
Don`t be silly!!!

When has that mantra "I don`t need any more basses" ever worked!! :D

It just goes to show, we really do get ripped off when it comes to the price of bass guitars compared to the old US.
[/quote]

To be fair, it looks as though GuitarCenter has a sale on at the moment. Those AV-62 deals are advertised as being $990 off, so their original price would have been a bit closer to what we pay (around £1300), although isn't RRP over here about £1700 these days?

I may have sent emails about 3 early 70's Telecaster basses in their used inventory.... :). Let's see if I get a reply.

Edited by tredders

Maybe I looked on the wrong web site as I didn't spot any vintage Telecaster basses but I did spot this [url="http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-1965-OLYMPIC-WHT-OHSC-07141-106771050-i2026453.gc"]65 Jazz[/url] in my fave colour combination :gas:

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355903903' post='1904118']
GuitarCenter will ship to the UK now as well---and last time I looked they claimed to deal with all the taxes etc up front so it should all be transparent and hassle free...
[/quote]

Problem is, it's a very small range that they are prepared to sell & ship to the UK. Unless their policy has changed recently, they only sell a handful of basses to International customers. No Fenders for starters, and none of their used stuff. I remember seeing that they were shipping to the UK earlier in the year and got quite excited about the prospect, until I checked it out. Shame really.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1355906599' post='1904145']
Maybe I looked on the wrong web site as I didn't spot any vintage Telecaster basses but I did spot this [url="http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-1965-OLYMPIC-WHT-OHSC-07141-106771050-i2026453.gc"]65 Jazz[/url] in my fave colour combination :gas:
[/quote]

There were 3 yesterday, and now only 1 today. Maybe my emails prompted them to realise that they'd already sold 2 of them! Had an email back on one of them though, and it looks lovely!

Edited to say: All 3 are still there - just seems as though the search system on their website is a bit random!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=fender+telecaster+bass&src=fender+telecaster+bass

Edited by tredders

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1355908225' post='1904163']
Problem is, it's a very small range that they are prepared to sell & ship to the UK. Unless their policy has changed recently, they only sell a handful of basses to International customers. No Fenders for starters, and none of their used stuff. I remember seeing that they were shipping to the UK earlier in the year and got quite excited about the prospect, until I checked it out. Shame really.
[/quote]

Hmm, thats a bit pants. I guess thats probably imposed on them by Fender---who probably don't want you bypassing their own European distributors/vendors.

There is a way around it that my mate used once to get a Custom Shop Strat, I'm not sure I'd do it but it worked for him, basically there are companies in the US that will forward on a purchase for you, you temporarily register your credit card billing address with them so the goods get dispatched to a US address, the company then send it on to you for a fee with whatever customs info you supply to them.

Tredders, take a case with you, with an old Squier/Encore etc in it. Buy whichever you think you can flog on here, when out there give the Squier/encore in p-ex (or even to a charity shop) buy said bass, bring it back - very unlikely if records show you going out there with a bass that they`ll check the exact bass & serial number - then sell it on at a profit to you, but still at a good price to someone else, bearing in mind it`s new.

I don`t need a new bass, but if I were after an AV 62 Precision, a new one (ok, owned by you for a week or so) for £1000 would be a steal for me, and you`d be making nearly £300. Speculate to accumulate.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355910833' post='1904208']
Tredders, take a case with you, with an old Squier/Encore etc in it. Buy whichever you think you can flog on here, when out there give the Squier/encore in p-ex (or even to a charity shop) buy said bass, bring it back - very unlikely if records show you going out there with a bass that they`ll check the exact bass & serial number - then sell it on at a profit to you, but still at a good price to someone else, bearing in mind it`s new.

I don`t need a new bass, but if I were after an AV 62 Precision, a new one (ok, owned by you for a week or so) for £1000 would be a steal for me, and you`d be making nearly £300. Speculate to accumulate.
[/quote]

I may (or may not, depending on whether anyone here works for customs & excise!) have walked through Heathrow with a new bass following previous visits to the US, and not been stopped. Although I like your thinking Lozz, to be honest, I wouldn't do it to make a profit, but I have to say that I'm sorely tempted to pickup one of the vintage Telecaster basses whilst I'm there. The one I'm particularly interested in is a '73 model, all original, with original hard case, and it works out to be around £1100. I figure that's a substantial saving (around £650 from looking around vintage guitar sellers) over what it would cost over here, so even if I get clobbered by duty, I'll still be better off. Guitar Center have said that they'll courier any of the Telecasters to the Dallas store for me to have a look at, so their customer service is pretty good too.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1355909449' post='1904185']
There is a way around it that my mate used once to get a Custom Shop Strat, I'm not sure I'd do it but it worked for him, basically there are companies in the US that will forward on a purchase for you, you temporarily register your credit card billing address with them so the goods get dispatched to a US address, the company then send it on to you for a fee with whatever customs info you supply to them.
[/quote]

Yeah... The thing that really puts me off ordering overseas is the hassle if you ever need to send it back under warranty. Add a third party into the mix and you're probably entering a world of pain...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355929996' post='1904616']
Yeah... The thing that really puts me off ordering overseas is the hassle if you ever need to send it back under warranty. Add a third party into the mix and you're probably entering a world of pain...
[/quote]

Bit of a gamble and there's nothing I need that desperately to take the risk. tredders has got the right idea of picking it up in person while work pick up the cost of the flights.

Or if you are in Manhattan and fancy a one owner 70s Ric 4001 in Azureglo!!

[url="http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1975-rickenbacker-4001/"]http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1975-rickenbacker-4001/[/url]

Great shop - always have fantastic used stuff and whenever I'm over (about every 3 years if I'm lucky - I'm not Richard Branson!) I try and look in.

Nice 70s natural finish jazz too : [url="http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1978-fender-jazz-bass/"]http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1978-fender-jazz-bass/[/url]

Put the credit cards away.............. now!

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1355935036' post='1904732']
Or if you are in Manhattan and fancy a one owner 70s Ric 4001 in Azureglo!!

[url="http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1975-rickenbacker-4001/"]http://umanovguitars...kenbacker-4001/[/url]

Great shop - always have fantastic used stuff and whenever I'm over (about every 3 years if I'm lucky - I'm not Richard Branson!) I try and look in.

Nice 70s natural finish jazz too : [url="http://umanovguitars.com/store/item/1978-fender-jazz-bass/"]http://umanovguitars...nder-jazz-bass/[/url]

Put the credit cards away.............. now!
[/quote]

That Ric is lovely, but is it just me or do the prices in that Manhattan store seem high, even by UK prices? $3000 (£1850) for an '82 fretless Precision?

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1355864402' post='1903889']
I'm off to Dallas at the start of Jan with work, so just happened to be browsing the GuitarCenter website (as you do). Generally find time to pop in there and have a look around when I'm traveling over there, so thought I'd see if there were any offers on.

Seems like there are some cracking deals right now. For example: -

AV-62 Jazz for $1200 (£735)
AV-62 Precision for $1160 (£715)
Roadworn Jazz or Precision for $999 (£615)

Add on 8% sales tax, and they're still great deals for brand new basses.

Repeat after me "I don't need any more basses. I don't need any more basses" :)
[/quote]

They ahve some nice old basses there if you wanna bring me one back?? Obviously I'll pay for it!! :D

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355957539' post='1905125']
They ahve some nice old basses there if you wanna bring me one back?? Obviously I'll pay for it!! :D
[/quote]

Well, if I change my mind about the Telecaster and don't plan on bringing anything back with me, I'll let you know :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1356016504' post='1905771']
Cool. Which Tele do you have your eye on, or aren't you saying?? ;)
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to be on the website any more. It's an all original '73 in blonde, with original case. Just got some pics through and it looks lovely.

Just got to work out the money now ;-) Might put my '62 AV Jazz up for sale...

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1356026348' post='1906010']
It's an all original '73 in blonde, with original case. Just got some pics through and it looks lovely.
[/quote]

I had one of those many years ago, BIG sound from those humbuckers. I always preferred the single coil's though, so it didnt stay with me long, px'd it at V&R when they were in Kenway St(?). Nice basses.