Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz Bass pickups?

Dolando

Hi,

I currently have a set of Tonerider jazz pickups in an ash fretless jazz with ebony fingerboard. I'm on the lookout for a different set of pickups. They just seem a bit lifeless on a fretless. I'm using rotosound jazz bass strings, so could be the string choice or even both...

Any ideas on pickups (or strings for that matter) for a jazz bass fretless for a more modern rounded fretless sound with a hint of jaco mwah?

Or, would a pre amp help with this?

Ah help wood be great thanks,

Adam

I've just put a pair of these http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html in my fretless. it's a maple neck, alder (i think) body with a cheap Artec SE2a pre on board and I could not be happier with the sound - it's still warm but with lots of presence. It's got the potential for a really cutting lead bass sound too.

For a jaco or even just a half decent fretless sound you're better off getting a set of Roto swingbass, and setting the action nice and low. Personally I absolutely hate the sound of flats on a fretless, so it's roundwound all the way, especially for the fabled 'mwahh' factor... pickups shouldn't make too much of a difference if everything else is set up right, a bass with 'mwahh' has it whether plugged in or not B)

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1354757082' post='1890165']
I did look to the swing bass stings. I heard that they wmeat up your fingerboard quite a bit. Do you know if thats the case?

[/quote]

Over time they do mark the fingerboard, but it'll be purely cosmetic and won't be a problem for a good long while unless you're gigging four nights a week or something. I've always found it a sacrifice well worth making for the improvement in tone... thats to my ears though, someone else might say the exact opposite.

I've yet to hear a single bad thing about wizard pickups, if you're going to change yours out they sound like the way to go! Still not convinced they'll affect the fretless tone much compared to a decent setup and some rounds.

Have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups yet? I hated the sound when I first upgraded the ones in my MIM Precision for a set of Dimarzios, but a later height adjustment changed the tone quite a bit, for the better.

Thanks for the info, it's helped loads.

People talk about it like it happens really fast. But that sounds fine with me. So before pickups my first port of call is to get some rounds, and raise the pickups and give it another setup. And we'll see where I go from there.

The jazz bass strings sound nice, just not what km after. For what I've got, I feel like I should have a better tone than I have. So will get on the case and let you know how it goes.

If anyone has any other ideas then feel free to let me know. :)

Thanks again,

Adam

For strings, DR Sunbeams are very nice, and are a pretty gentle on the fingerboard. Pickups - I've had loads over the years and my choice would be EMG's (with the tone rolled down a fair bit...they can be very trebly) or the old DiMarzio's humbuckers in a jazz sized case. Wire them in series for the strongest sound. Not a true single coil sound but it works very well on a fretless, and doesn't hum.

I have Wizard Hammers in my J fretless. It's not a Fender, but it's a well-made copy and it sounds and plays great. Despite being a lifelong devotee of roundwound strings, I have LaBella flats on this bass - 49-109, which interestingly they call [i]medium[/i] gauge!! Lovely full, warm but punchy tone. Good sustain and nice to play. Highly recommended!

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1354757082' post='1890165']
I did look to the swing bass stings. I heard that they wmeat up your fingerboard quite a bit. Do you know if thats the case?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "wmeat"... :D But yes, rounds will cause finger board damage over time. How much damage and how much time depends on several factors like how hard you fret, the type of strings (nickel are softer than steel) and the wood that the board is made from. Fortunately, in your case, ebony is one of the hardest woods. So if you go down the roundwound route you will have less bother than someone with a rosewood board - especially if you choose nickel strings like DR sunbeams.

Thanks for all the replies, I Wasn't sure where to start with this....here goes.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1354785398' post='1890254']
For strings, DR Sunbeams are very nice, and are a pretty gentle on the fingerboard. [/quote]

I hear good things about these strings, just don't think i want to splash out on £30 on a set of strings. Im not an aggressive player and for how much ill use it i don't think the swing bass will be a concern.

I have nearly got a J-Retro on many occasions, so might be something i buy in the near future, but i did think a simple 2 band would be quite nice.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1354792134' post='1890356']
I have Wizard Hammers in my J fretless. [/quote]

I did look at these and was very intrigued by them, so if i were to swap out my pickups, i would be very tempted by these, sound like what I'm after. But my current pickups might be ok with a height adjust...we'll see.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1354792553' post='1890362']
Not sure what you mean by "wmeat"... :D [/quote]

Its a new word, didn't you know!? HA was obviously meant to be 'eat'. :) I think i have some experiments to do. Im pretty sure i'm sold on rounds though! So as i said, my first experiment is raiding the pickups, and getitng a set of swing bass srtings and see how that goes. :)

Thought i'd also attach a picture of the bass in question that was my first build and was finished and built myself. its the same now, I've just added a babicz bridge.

Really appreciate the help! :)

Thought I'd drop by and let you know that I got a set of rotosound swing bass strings and raised my pickups a little and wow, my bass has come alive! I'll just deal with the damage if/when it comes. It's exactly what I was after. The jazz bass strings were actually quite nice after I raised the pickups but you just don't get the bite you get with the swing bass strings. I've been playing it all day! I may still add a two band preamp some day but for now im very happy with it.

Thanks for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...