Why become a member? ×

Tec Amp? Tech Soundsystems?

acidbass

Simple really!

What's the difference between these two companies?

There are two seperate websites, two seperate brand logos, and yet all the cabinets are similar, and with similar brand names. The contact address for both companies is also exactly the same.

I know we have users of both brands on this forum, so can anyone fill me in?

Cheers!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='20522' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:57 PM']Simple really!

What's the difference between these two companies?

There are two seperate websites, two seperate brand logos, and yet all the cabinets are similar, and with similar brand names. The contact address for both companies is also exactly the same.

I know we have users of both brands on this forum, so can anyone fill me in?

Cheers!

Danny[/quote]

IIRC Tech Soundsystems were just re-launced / re-branded as Tech Amp. Don't know why, perhaps a marketing ploy?

Hamster

...they just haven't taken down the old website...

Either way they're mighty cabs. Bloody light too - my 4x12 is a pretty easy one person carry (although I'm 6ft/15 stone).You thinking of a replacement for your ampeg rig danny?

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='20563' date='Jun 20 2007, 07:25 AM']...they just haven't taken down the old website...

Either way they're mighty cabs. Bloody light too - my 4x12 is a pretty easy one person carry (although I'm 6ft/15 stone).You thinking of a replacement for your ampeg rig danny?[/quote]

I'm 5'11" and 10 stone and I find my 4x12 manageable, though abit awkward sometimes especially when it comes to doors. The only problem I have with tech/tecamp cabs is that much of the portability and lightness is undone by the fact they fit possibly the worst carry handles to their cabs.

They were Tech Soundsystems then Tecamp, name change is apparently because the company owner likes to keep moving with the times. Same drivers and construction just a different aesthetic. I kind of agree with the comment about the handles but it's a small price to pay if it saves weight and you get used to them, they aren't completely rubbish!

The same company also make a pro quality guitar amp which has again changed names at about the same time.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='20563' date='Jun 20 2007, 07:25 AM']You thinking of a replacement for your ampeg rig danny?[/quote]

Yes, indeed I am! I'm going for the one cab setup, full range with either 10's or 12's. I'm thinking the 4x12 or the 6x10, I've heard great reviews of both so it's really hard to decide without trying them out!

I'm looking for warmth and bass as much as punch - I may have to use the cab to hold down the low end for some gigs where I won't go through the PA, so low end is a must. The cabs definitely have impressive ratings for both RMS wattage and frequency spectrum though.

Cheers for all the advice guys, it's cleared up things a bit for me! Now - to the bank!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='20935' date='Jun 20 2007, 06:11 PM']Yes, indeed I am! I'm going for the one cab setup, full range with either 10's or 12's. I'm thinking the 4x12 or the 6x10, I've heard great reviews of both so it's really hard to decide without trying them out!

I'm looking for warmth and bass as much as punch - I may have to use the cab to hold down the low end for some gigs where I won't go through the PA, so low end is a must. The cabs definitely have impressive ratings for both RMS wattage and frequency spectrum though.

Cheers for all the advice guys, it's cleared up things a bit for me! Now - to the bank!

Danny[/quote]

I also reckon that a big partof the name change had to do with them constantly being mistaken for Tech 21.

If it wereme, I'd go for the 6 x 10 for the simple reason that it's a much narrower cab than the 4 x 12, which really aids portability. I wsh Tech/TecAmp had designed a taller 4 x 12 with the same dimensions as the 6 x 10. Likewise, I wish they'd produced a 1 x 12 with the same width as the 2 x 12.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='fede162162' post='363212' date='Dec 25 2008, 02:58 AM']does somebody know anything about tech soundsystemp heads?
i'm going to buy the graphic 625 head by tech ss...but i can't find NOTHING on the web!!![/quote]

I don't, but I know a man who does............... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19345&hl=625"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19345&hl=625[/url]

The 625 head is very different to the later Tech SS and current Tecamp amp range. I think that amp was introduced when Tech SS were still making cabs with the non neo aluminium coned drivers.
I used some years ago and liked it, although too long ago to give a review.