Why become a member? ×

What would be more powerful / give most volume?

Walker

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1354482566' post='1886559']
Heck. I thought to would be a simple answer. I didn't expect to provide variables mr foxen!

Normal pub gig stage?
[/quote][quote name='Walker' timestamp='1354483194' post='1886569']
I've read that cabs can be pretty much anywhere in the room ( for smallish rooms anyway) as the waves Aren't particularly directional? Or is that more Internet nonsense?!!
[/quote]
if you didn't expect to give variables and get a simple answer......well it's probably gonna get interesting round here!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1354483194' post='1886569']
I've read that cabs can be pretty much anywhere in the room ( for smallish rooms anyway) as the waves Aren't particularly directional? Or is that more Internet nonsense?!!
[/quote]

For purposes of low end, together is better, not because they are directional, but apart you end up with a mess of cancellations. Far enough apart it OK, but stacked can't go wrong. For the mids and higher, does mean they are all coming from one place stacked, so splitting gives coverage, but in a small pub, all in one place, ideally backed into a corner is best.

I would imagine the volume would be the same.

But it's not about volume. When cabs are placed apart they can interfere with each others sound.

Anyway bass is omnidirectional so the sound at the back of the room will be fine if the cabs are stacked.

The radiation of bass frequencies is more or less omnidirectional until the frequency is such that the wavelength is the same as the diameter of the speaker. Multiple speakers behave like a bigger speaker so think of a 4x10 as being like a 20" speaker in theis respect.

Being omnidirectional is only about direction though. The sound still gets quieter the further you are from the speaker, It drops off at 6dB as you double your distance from the speaker. With the speakers either side of the stage the sound will be much louder from the nearest speaker than the further one If you were in the front row, you could be 1m from one speaker and 10m from the other. Further out you will hear sound from both speakers. If both speakers are together on the left of the stage then someone sitting in the front will hear more bass if they are sitting that side than they will on the right. Further back it will make less difference ans right at the back most of the bass you hear will be reflected off walls ceilings and floors.

I guess this mainly happens when your bass goes through the PA rather than coming directly from a bass stack or whatever. You won't get any difference in total sound produced though.