Why become a member? ×

Songwriting

mentalextra

After a long argument with my 14yr old daughter about the lack of Christmas songs from todays "talent" because they are too scared of ruining their reputation. Its the time of year for those old 'chestnuts' from Wizzard, Elton John, Wham etc for us to hum and whistle. But will we be humming the same tunes in another 30yrs or will one of these heavy weights of popular music attempt a Christmas song. Has anyone written a Christmas song. If not, why not! :D

Edited by mentalextra

My band The Tuesday Club have an Xmas single on its way. Think it`s a free download (we`ve a "real" single, plus album - on vinyl - on the way, so I get kind-of lost as to how they`re all going to materialise).

When it`s up/out, I`ll put the link up.

We (OH, 19yo daughter and 17yo son) had a great laugh after tea this evening. Mum and I were picking our best and worse songs from NOW That's what I call christmas. 17yo was disappointed there was no folk/viking metal christmas songs. The closest was (according to him) In Dulce Jubilo. OH was adamant that The Cranberries sang a christmas song about cranberries (until we demonstrated that the reference to cranberries was one phrase in Christmas Rapping by The Waitresses).

Time was - write a Christmas hit or have a Christmas No.1 and you'd be made for life - Slade, Mud, Pogues (god I hate that song), Jonah Lewie - best Christmas song ever <_< )

I was sitting in a Harvester with a lady friend and my daughter arguing about the Christmas songs that were being piped in. I asked by 14yr old daughter when they were going to play Justin Biebers new Christmas song! :D I said "I wonder if she will be sitting in a place like this when she's my age and still listening to mud, slade, Elton john, Roy Wood etc" I bet she will!

My daughter thinks that "slade" are a bunch of weirdo's, but she knows the christmas song like everyone on the planet. Will we be listening to Justin Bieber or Rhianna, or Dr Dre in 35yrs time, I wonder? :ph34r: What is so special about "those" Christmas songs. I can promise anyone that is going shopping this weekend, they will hear any of the above but none from the last 30yrs, it cant be just copyright can it?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1354229401' post='1884012']Time was - write a Christmas hit or have a Christmas No.1 and you'd be made for life - Slade, Mud, Pogues (god I hate that song), Jonah Lewie - best Christmas song ever <_< )
[/quote]

I wonder why no current artists want to make a shed load of money out of a Christmas song? I dont think Jusin Bieber has even brought out a Christmas song this year. Or are they scared it will upset the religious demographic. :rolleyes: