Why become a member? ×

smallish dilemma

Geek99

I have a mint 2011 US P bass that I cant shift as its a slow market for higher end stuff. (its in classifieds)

I'm toying with moving on instead my 1993 Jap jazz and Squier VMP and keeping the p bass although its much much better than I am. I rarely get time to play at home due to family commitments although I do know a singer songwriter who wants to jam when I get time. What would you do? COuld you justify keeping a £700+ mint instrument. ?

A quality instrument will always help your playing more than cheaper ones.

I remember a story of a young musician many years ago who entered a very prestigious music competition. He was very much able to win this competition, without being arrogant about it. He was quite surprised to find that he didn't win despite putting in a very good performance. The Judges called him aside after the end. They informed him that they were well aware he had the capability to win but his instrument let him down. As a special award they gave him £2000 towards the cost of a new instrument. That was in the 80s. The same again would have been added to that for the purchase. That person has had a very successful career as a musician ever since.

I'll let you take from that what you will.

So you have some basses.... and the dialema is get rid of the one that would be about £6-700 secondhand or the one that would be about £475-600 secondhand? Depending on condition the difference in price won't be as much as you think.

so I think you're asking the wrong question- I don't think it's about value at all..... say you're not going to play that much at the moment, just little bits (and maybe a bit more later in life, who knows) which bass of the 3 makes you want to pick it up and play it the most?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353963346' post='1880364']
which bass of the 3 makes you want to pick it up and play it the most?
[/quote]

Exactly. Plenty of people complain about instruments that are not good enough for them to play. You don't often hear that a guitar is "too good"!! In the current market, if you do sell the US P at all you might not get what you want/expect for it.

Keep the P and sell one or both of the others.

i think youre all right in that you have a piece of the puzzle each. I do have some deeper issues here too, I think

The US P is way better than I am right now. So is the Jazz,. One day I will get more time, I am assured.

Partner wants me to hang on to the USP till after Xmas to see if the market is better,

Well it`s a difficult one, but for me the answer would be, do I need an instrument of this value, or will it clear up some finances for me by selling? If there are no cash flow problems, keep it. Chance to clear some debt - well you`re not leaving yourself bass-less, so sell.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1354023359' post='1880929']
Partner wants me to hang on to the USP till after Xmas to see if the market is better,
[/quote]

Which implies that [i]she[/i] wants you to sell it. How you respond to that knowldge is up to you... ;)

If the P is not selling right now keep it, if you can sell the other stuff, and you want to sell it, then do. Think of it as an investment, not just in terms of the increase in value (this may take some time) but also having a quality gig-able instrument - from which you can earn money. No bass = no gig = no money.

I didn't play bass for quite a few years but kept my Sabre in its case and amp in the loft (far too valuable an instrument not to be played in my opinion). One day an opportunity came, at a moments notice, basically "can you play tonight?". I had all the gear already which was good because I had no money at all, I just had enough petrol to get to the gig. Anyway, the radio edit of a long story is, I still play with that band 3 years later... And the Sabre is still too good for them or me!

Even though I have played bass since the summer of 1976, and own more equipment (all paid for from gigging over the years) than most folks, playing is my avocation rather than my vocation. I will never be in a position to "outplay" any of my equipment.

That said, lesser equipment will always have niggles and compromises that will, in time, lead to frustration, and everyone knows it is lesser equipment. Keep the best equipment you own, and sell the others as necessary to raise cash. As your playing improves and you show up to gigs with a real American P-bass, you and your playing will always have that[i] je ne sais quoi[/i] that lends credibility. Bass playing is more attitude than faculty, and the confidence of good equipment will lend to that.

Do I [i]need[/i] my custom fanned fret P-style bass? No. Not in the sense that I could probably get by with any less expensive bass, if I could figure out a way to keep my left hand and arm from cramping. But I saved my money and paid for it to be built so that it fits me, like a bespoke Savile Row suit, and I can play without being concerned about any niggles of fit, finish, tone, ergonomics, etc. I just play, and people actually pay me to play on weekends, and because I am comfortable with my instrument, I can focus more on the music, my bandmates, and the audience, and deliver their money's worth.

Keep the USA P-bass.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1354112385' post='1882202']
If the P is not selling right now keep it, if you can sell the other stuff, and you want to sell it, then do. Think of it as an investment, not just in terms of the increase in value (this may take some time) but also having a quality gig-able instrument - from which you can earn money. No bass = no gig = no money.
[/quote]

That's a good reason to keep [i][b]a[/b][/i] bass, but surely the CIJ and even the Squier would fulfil the same criteria? They should be more than giggable. If money is tight it does make sense to sell your highest value bass (as long as you get a fair price for it).

It's unlikely that the US P will appreciate much in value for at least 15 years, possibly a lot more than that...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1354113901' post='1882217']
That said, lesser equipment will always have niggles and compromises that will, in time, lead to frustration, and everyone knows it is lesser equipment. Keep the best equipment you own[/quote]

Yes - there is that as well. :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353951267' post='1880166']
Do you need the money?

If you do then sell, otherwise keep it and make yourself improve your playing to its level.
[/quote]
[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1353944995' post='1880042']
A quality instrument will always help your playing more than cheaper ones.

I remember a story of a young musician many years ago who entered a very prestigious music competition. He was very much able to win this competition, without being arrogant about it. He was quite surprised to find that he didn't win despite putting in a very good performance. The Judges called him aside after the end. They informed him that they were well aware he had the capability to win but his instrument let him down. As a special award they gave him £2000 towards the cost of a new instrument. That was in the 80s. The same again would have been added to that for the purchase. That person has had a very successful career as a musician ever since.

I'll let you take from that what you will.
[/quote]
[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1353943650' post='1880017']
keeping the p bass although its much much better than I am.
[/quote]

All these comments are a bit backwards?
You are all quantifying 'talent' or 'skill' by how expensive someone's equipment is. I had o value for fender's, at all. I've had some and they have all been fine instruments, although none really spoke to me on a personal level that made me want to play them, more or even forever. And by that all those people that stand by they're fender, weather it MIA or MIA, even the famous musos have no talent or sjill rather.

Your instrument should be a personal thing to you, can you see yourself paying it in a year's time? 3 year's time? 5 years time? Does it make you want to play it, even when you don't have time or should be doing something a bit more productive, like ironing, or feeding the kids?

If the answer is no then move it on, bear the brunt of what money you may loose and maybe get something you feel a bit more positive about.

That's just me really. Everyone can give you a different answer of what you can do, but only you can know.

You may feel like holding onto it until the market gets better, but what if it doesn't? Put it on at a price you feel comfortable with and be patient. It took me a year nearly to sell a Jaguar Bass.