Why become a member? ×

1973 Telecaster Bass

Looks like a nice, blonde 1973 Telecaster bass. Might be of interest to someone looking for a vintage bass that's a little more unusual :

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140232212060&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004"]1973 Telecaster Bass[/url]

Andy :)

It *could* have been the best bass I ever had...

It was incredibly light & resonant, and the gorgeous birdseye neck was extremely comfortable. It was a joy to play acoustically.

However...

Those Seth Lover humbuckers are monsters. It mashed the preamp of vitrually all amps I tried into submission, and when I did find a pre that could cope the tone was a subterranean rumble.

Now I'm an old-skool-lo-fi kinda guy, but this was a tone that was only detectable by earthworms. No note definition at all, just thmmmb, thmmmmb. thmmmmmb...

From my research, I know this was common to MK2 Teles, but I didn't realise to what degree. I tried a mod which involves removing two of the four poles from the pup which made it marginally better, but... not enough to make it useable.

If I still had it now, I'd put a DarkStar in it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='197113' date='May 12 2008, 01:10 PM']It *could* have been the best bass I ever had...

It was incredibly light & resonant, and the gorgeous birdseye neck was extremely comfortable. It was a joy to play acoustically.

However...

Those Seth Lover humbuckers are monsters. It mashed the preamp of vitrually all amps I tried into submission, and when I did find a pre that could cope the tone was a subterranean rumble.

Now I'm an old-skool-lo-fi kinda guy, but this was a tone that was only detectable by earthworms. No note definition at all, just thmmmb, thmmmmb. thmmmmmb...

From my research, I know this was common to MK2 Teles, but I didn't realise to what degree. I tried a mod which involves removing two of the four poles from the pup which made it marginally better, but... not enough to make it useable.

If I still had it now, I'd put a DarkStar in it.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly - I tweaked and poked around with my 72 for years trying to get more definition. So much so my best option in the end was to split it for parts.
The pup alone made nearly 300 brick - that's the world we live in though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='197113' date='May 12 2008, 01:10 PM']It *could* have been the best bass I ever had...

However...

If I still had it now, I'd put a DarkStar in it.[/quote]

People are always saying how good these are (in ebay listings mostly) but I've never heard a top player rave about one, and have never seen contemporary players - at least those who could perhaps afford to do so - choose one over a Precision or Jazz. If they were so good, I'm sure they wouldn't have been dropped like a lead balloon by Fender.

Interestingly, I had a conversation about the Telebass with a friend and he was saying that he'd seen loads of really top bands using them. Turned out he'd seen these 'top' bands on an OGWT DVD and it was apparently the BBC house bass at the time, i.e., they were all playing the same instrument (I'm guessing there were issues with musos turning up without their instruments in the early '70s :))
Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='198472' date='May 14 2008, 07:30 AM']£1500 so far with AGES to go. Do these people know what they're buying? Can the tell the difference between this one and the single-coil version?

I hope they do...[/quote]

Totally agree. I had one of these offered to me 3 or 4 years back, and I was curious as I'd never tried one. The bass was in very nice nick, which had me interested, and it played reasonably well, so all things looked good. Then I plugged it in, and the sound was bloody awful. I'm the first to admit, I'm mainly a collector these days, so sound shouldn't matter a great deal, but I just couldn't live with owning something that I had no interest in sonically.

I guess it must come down to the whole "vintage = good" thing that's so strong these days. Thing is though, for the money it's at at present, it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to find a Precision from around the same era, and that would be a million times more usable.

Edited by bassaussie

I really like mine - but only on certain songs that require a HUGE BASS sound. They will happily knock holes through walls.
Great for a big throbbing dub sound.... and certainly not for 'twiddling' about on.
As for current 'top players' that use them?
Well the great Daryl Johnson uses one live when he plays with Daniel Lanois (who is also a big fan of them in the studio) & gets a fantastic tone - and then at the other end of the spectrum the guy from The Hives plays one too!
I paid £1K for mine not that long ago - so I'd better review my insurance as this one looks like it's going to get well over the £2K mark!

[attachment=8688:74_tele2_front.jpg]

[quote name='99ster' post='199746' date='May 15 2008, 04:54 PM']I really like mine - but only on certain songs that require a HUGE BASS sound. They will happily knock holes through walls.
Great for a big throbbing dub sound.... and certainly not for 'twiddling' about on.
As for current 'top players' that use them?
Well the great Daryl Johnson uses one live when he plays with Daniel Lanois (who is also a big fan of them in the studio) & gets a fantastic tone - and then at the other end of the spectrum the guy from The Hives plays one too!
I paid £1K for mine not that long ago - so I'd better review my insurance as this one looks like it's going to get well over the £2K mark!

[attachment=8688:74_tele2_front.jpg][/quote]

sexy...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='200070' date='May 16 2008, 12:24 AM']sexy...[/quote]

Thanks mr.sibs!
:)
I was really pleased to get a hold of black one - they seem to be pretty rare.
Definitely one of the coolest looking basses I have....