Why become a member? ×

Betcha can't play this!

pietruszka

My bro in law showed me this and it just had me in stitches. For those not in the know, the guitarists in this video are outstanding players, not my thing admittedly but still excellent. The are all playing opposite handed guitars, right handers are playing left and vice versa.

http://youtu.be/q9nis0mMgCE

Dan

Edited by pietruszka

There was a guitar tutor at my music course years ago who would take a left handed guitar into the room and attempt to play it.
He did this if there were any students who felt embarrassed to play in front of him, he'd put them at easy by showing that he too couldn't even play a note once.
By making a fool of himself they would be more at easy.
Amazing how confused you get when trying this. Your brain just doesn't work, you'll be lucky if you can even get your hands to move, let alone play a note.

I had a new bass student over last night. He was left handed but plays violin right handed. After a lesson analysing his technique and lots of questions about what he found easiest, we concluded that his playing was stronger playing a *right* handed bass!

When I were a lot younger a mate of mine was pretty damned good at all that shredding nonsense, but he became so paranoid that he might damage his hands (he also enjoyed a lot of martial arts) that he learnt to do it all left handed as well, both on a left handed guitar and an upside down right handed guitar :blink:. That made for some very very cool showboating tricks. Then all of a sudden no one was interested in that sort of thing and he came to realise he'd lead a wasted youth couped up in a room learning something totally useless.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1353663754' post='1877045']
I had a new bass student over last night. He was left handed but plays violin right handed. After a lesson analysing his technique and lots of questions about what he found easiest, we concluded that his playing was stronger playing a *right* handed bass!
[/quote]

Ha! That's the same for me to, left handed but play right handed, it's just what feels right. Strangely I can't play a left handed guitar in the slightest! Oddly our violin player in the High Tides is a lefty and plays right handed, and so does our singer!

Dan

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1353639252' post='1876930']
There was a guitar tutor at my music course years ago who would take a left handed guitar into the room and attempt to play it.
He did this if there were any students who felt embarrassed to play in front of him, he'd put them at easy by showing that he too couldn't even play a note once.
By making a fool of himself they would be more at easy.
Amazing how confused you get when trying this. Your brain just doesn't work, you'll be lucky if you can even get your hands to move, let alone play a note.
[/quote]

Lol, in fact i did this last night too! I often use these kinda 'demonstrations' in my lessons for the same reason. Lots of laughs usually follow!

What's the point of learning to play in a different configuration? After loads of time and effort you'll still only be able to play what you could before in your preferred style, so what have you gained?

Better, surely, to spend all that time and effort improving your existing playing skills?

I actually begun as a leftie for about 12 months on a nylon classical guitar. I broke a string and I had no idea how to change the strings, so my dad took them all off, put a new set on upside down and I freaked out. He had no idea I was playing the guitar leftie and encouraged me to play righty as he convinced me that left handed guitars were more expensive and not as available as right hand guitars when I got to the stage of buying an electric. Kinda sucked anyway because I had to spend another year learning how to play right handed.