Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz bass "strat type" toggle switch

mentalextra

According to the Fender web site the switch on the Tony Franklin bass is just a 3-position giving each pickup on its own and both together in the centre position..

I have a bass with 2 J-type pickups and 4-way rotary switch to give each pickup on its own and both pickups together wired either in parallel or series.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1353595040' post='1876396']
I have a bass with 2 J-type pickups and 4-way rotary switch to give each pickup on its own and both pickups together wired either in parallel or series.
[/quote]

That's quite a nice idea, as long as you don't want to blend the pick-ups. Hopefully the series setting is buffered in some way to stop the output being too much higher than the parallel or single coil settings.(The EBMM Ray 5 has this, as well as a phantom coil to suppress hum in single coil mode)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1353593866' post='1876389']
I have a 5 position rotary on my main Jazz (in place of the second vol. control) the 'in-between' positions have a pre-set variable resistor in to turn down one of the pickups. After setting the blends where I want them, now I can recall the sound exactly every time![/quote]

I like that idea! I did the same thing on the neck pickup of a couple of guitars to get them to balance with a master volume, and Rickenbacker guitars have the famous 5th knob for the same thing as well. Good show!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1353595040' post='1876396']
According to the Fender web site the switch on the Tony Franklin bass is just a 3-position giving each pickup on its own and both together in the centre position.[/quote]

As I suspected: Tele wiring.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353601760' post='1876483']
I like that idea! I did the same thing on the neck pickup of a couple of guitars to get them to balance with a master volume, and Rickenbacker guitars have the famous 5th knob for the same thing as well. Good show!
[/quote]
Yes it works very well on a gig, no messing about plucking notes to check I've got the balance right, just click and go :)
I also have an S-1 switch on the volume control that puts both pickups in series, just in case I need that extra boost!