Why become a member? ×

Zoom b9.1ut General discussion thread.

Shockwave

OK I'm getting annoyed with the Editor. I have a USB to MIDI cable. Set it correctly (out into in and in into out). Set the interface on the editor so it uses the USB adaptor. But I keep getting Device timedout everytime I try and send or receive data. The lights flash up on the adaptor.

Are there any specific setting I need to change on the pedal itself. I have had a look thru the manual but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Cheers in advance

Another hour spent on it this evening, think I've got the hang of it now. I've set four patches up ready for my next gig, then I'll see what else I might need.

1. Ampeg SVT clean
2. Ampeg SVT with high gain
3. Ampeg SVT clean with chorus and a slight reverb
4. Octave up with TSR distortion, blended 40%

I'm sure that probably all I need in this band so the pedal is overkill for my live needs, but great to have the EQ and everything set up for any amp/pa and the tuner, volume pedal, etc.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360441596' post='1970605']
I have one, and I can predict your future: you'll be thinking it would have been nice if it had been a bit smaller, but will be chuffed again when thinking about the price you paid for what's basically a nice bag.
It's not me. It's the stars that guide me.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Bingo! I wish it was a touch smaller, but for the price I paid its quite a nice bag!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1360777667' post='1976361']
Bingo!
[/quote]

I [b]knooow[/b]. Still people say bad things about the stars.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1360778234' post='1976376']
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-21x10x5-inches-Controllers-Effects/dp/B0002GL7ZO/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360778170&sr=1-2"]http://www.amazon.co...60778170&sr=1-2[/url]

This was the one I got, B9 fits perfectly :)
[/quote]

Ooooooh, that looks great! Better than ours, from the outset.

best,
bert

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1360777667' post='1976361']
Bingo! I wish it was a touch smaller, but for the price I paid its quite a nice bag!
[/quote]

In what way is it too big - internal dimensions? Seems to me that it's smaller than the Gator bag that Mudpup et al are using happily, or is it just the mahoosive looking pouch on the front that makes it seem bulky?

Just curious really - I think I'm leaning towards the smaller Gator 2110 at the mo'.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1360840725' post='1977159']
In what way is it too big - internal dimensions? Seems to me that it's smaller than the Gator bag that Mudpup et al are using happily, or is it just the mahoosive looking pouch on the front that makes it seem bulky?

Just curious really - I think I'm leaning towards the smaller Gator 2110 at the mo'.
[/quote]

To be fair, its only perhaps a couple of inches too deep, and the front pocket as huge! Which isnt really a bad thing I suppose, but in an ideal world it would be a tiny bit smaller for the internal size, and the front pouch would be just the right size for a couple of leads. I'm being overly picky though, it seems decent quality, and the extra pouch size will no doubt come in handy at some point!

Thanks - in that case, it could be just the job :)

I currently carry my B2 and various instrument/speaker/kettle leads, bits & bobs, PSUs etc in a holdall type bag that's not big enough for the B9. If I can get them all in the same bag as the B9, it'll still only be a single bag to carry.

cheers.

Haven't compared the bags' internal dimensions, but my Thomann bag is roughly like this:

width: the B9 plus slightly more than 1" on each side (good thing in my book)
depth: the B9 plus roughly 3" (also a good thing in my book)
height: the B9, in such a way that the lid, upon closed, will press the pedal all the way down to 11 (its most awesone feature).

[Dumb look] "... These close to 11."

b,
b

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I ended up going for the Gator 2110, and it's just the job!

It (the B9) seemed a bit daunting at first, but now that I've played around a bit it makes more sense, and I'm finding it dead easy to use.

And loving that pedal synth... :)

Hi All,

Just got one of these (and a Gator 2110...£20 from Amazon with free delivery...great choice...thanks to all those who suggested it!) and think I'm gonna be spending some quality time with it!!!

The only problem is that I can't get the Librarian software to work, and I think this will make setting up patches real easy, so I was wondering if any of you guys could help. Here's where I'm at...

...my laptop is Windows XP and I've checked that I've got .NET Framework 2.0 (I've also got 3.0!), I bought a MIDI/USB Adapter off the net; it's a cheap generic one but seemed to install fine, and the power light on the adapter illuminates. The Librarian software recognises that there's a 'USB Sound Device' in the MIDI drop-down menu, and it's online, but I keep getting the 'Device Inquiry Timeout' Windows message when I try to send or receive. Neither of the IN/OUT lights on the adapter illuminate at any time. I've tried switching the MIDI leads to make sure they weren't labelled wrong but it makes not a jot of difference to anything!

I appreciate that this kind of remote troubleshooting is a bit tricky but I was wondering if there's some kind of magic order to connecting things or switching things on, or if there's any settings in the Librarian software or on the B9 itself that I've missed.

Or is it just that I was a cheapskate and bought a rubbish lead?! If this is the case, can anyone recommend one that definitely works?

Your rewards for assistance will, unfortunately, only be spiritual, but greatly appreciated nonetheless!

JaseTheBass

Check back earlier in this thread. IIRC a couple of others had the same problem, while somebody bought an M-Audio lead that works...I think.

Not got around to hooking it up to my PC yet. The only real benefit to that AFAICS would be if I could store a backup copy of my patches that I could reload into the B9 if it decides to throw a wobbly and loses its memory. Could I do that?

I have an M-Audio MIDI interface that works fine.

Once it's all connected, start up Librarian and go to the MIDI drop down. Make sure that MIDI in and MIDI out are pointing to your MIDI interface (my MIDI out defaults to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth). On the main Librarian screen, press the Online button - it should turn yellow. At that point, all the other buttons become active and accessible and you should be good to go.

If none of that helps, my guess is that it's your Interface cable - maybe try and borrow one to check? My M-Audio Uno USB wasn't that expensive and, as mentioned above, just worked out the box.

I use Windows 7 64-bit but that shouldn't make any difference at all (other than Librarian crashes on exit which is known bug....sorry, undocumented feature. Just means I have to make sure I've saved everything and disconnect the B9 before I close the app).

I find Librarian useful a) as a backup tool as Barkin suggests and b ) for playing around while editing patches - it's a lot easier than keep bending down to squint myopically at the tiny screen on the B9. I stay vertical and squint myopically at my monitor instead. Much cooler.... ;)

HTH

Edited by Skinnyman

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1361888460' post='1992484']
Check back earlier in this thread. IIRC a couple of others had the same problem, while somebody bought an M-Audio lead that works...I think.
[/quote]

Yeah, a few people seem to have had the same problem, but they haven't said whether they sorted it out or just gave up!

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1361888460' post='1992484']
Not got around to hooking it up to my PC yet. The only real benefit to that AFAICS would be if I could store a backup copy of my patches that I could reload into the B9 if it decides to throw a wobbly and loses its memory. Could I do that?
[/quote]

From having a play with the software, it looks like it'll be much easier to create patches than using the B9 itself, and it definitely looks like you can backup patches.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1361889541' post='1992511']
I have an M-Audio MIDI interface that works fine.

Once it's all connected, start up Librarian and go to the MIDI drop down. Make sure that MIDI in and MIDI out are pointing to your MIDI interface (my MIDI out defaults to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth). On the main Librarian screen, press the Online button - it should turn yellow. At that point, all the other buttons become active and accessible and you should be good to go.

If none of that helps, my guess is that it's your Interface cable - maybe try and borrow one to check? My M-Audio Uno USB wasn't that expensive and, as mentioned above, just worked out the box.

I use Windows 7 64-bit but that shouldn't make any difference at all (other than Librarian crashes on exit which is known bug....sorry, undocumented feature. Just means I have to make sure I've saved everything and disconnect the B9 before I close the app).

I find Librarian useful a) as a backup tool as Barkin suggests and b ) for playing around while editing patches - it's a lot easier than keep bending down to squint myopically at the tiny screen on the B9. I stay vertical and squint myopically at my monitor instead. Much cooler.... ;)

HTH
[/quote]

Yeah, done all that so I'm not being a complete duffer then!

I guess it must be the lead. I saw that you've got it working with the Uno but was a bit concerned that my PC is still in the dark ages running XP, though just had a look at the M Audio website, and don't think this'll be a problem...

And yes, when I get it working, I think it will be much cooler!

Cheers,

Jase

Well, working on the basis that a cheap lead isn't very cheap if it doesn't work, I splashed out and bought one for just under a tenner today!

It's not branded, but has "model A03FK" printed on it. A quick Google suggests that it's probably the same as ones sold under the brand names Prosound & Mistar...and loads more I would think.

Worked straight off, no timeout errors etc (WinXP) so I'm a happy bunny.

Next to try - running the Librarian software under Wine...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1361983536' post='1994040']

[/quote]

Pretty much all the computer disasters I've had in a twenty year career have been while running under Wine (me, that is, not the computer)....

[quote name='jasetbass' timestamp='1361970826' post='1993776']
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Yeah, a few people seem to have had the same problem, but they haven't said whether they sorted it out or just gave up!

From having a play with the software, it looks like it'll be much easier to create patches than using the B9 itself, and it definitely looks like you can backup patches.

Yeah, done all that so I'm not being a complete duffer then!

I guess it must be the lead. I saw that you've got it working with the Uno but was a bit concerned that my PC is still in the dark ages running XP, though just had a look at the M Audio website, and don't think this'll be a problem...

And yes, when I get it working, I think it will be much cooler!

Cheers,

Jase
[/quote]
Good luck - let us know how you get on!

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1361983536' post='1994040']
Well, working on the basis that a cheap lead isn't very cheap if it doesn't work, I splashed out and bought one for just under a tenner today!

It's not branded, but has "model A03FK" printed on it. A quick Google suggests that it's probably the same as ones sold under the brand names Prosound & Mistar...and loads more I would think.

Worked straight off, no timeout errors etc (WinXP) so I'm a happy bunny.

[/quote]

Hey Barkin, sounds like you got the generic kind of lead that I got. Could I ask if you did anything different to what I described above? Did Windows automatically install the drivers? Did you need to do anything with the B9 unit itself (other than switching it on!)?

It just that, generally, most people seem to be having problems with these leads running on Windows 7 rather than XP, so I'm entertaining the idea that it might not be the lead that's the problem...

Cheers,

Jase

Laptop running - B9 turned off - Librarian not running.
Connect adaptor to PC & B9, and switch B9 on.
Let PC go through the "USB thingy detected" etc rigmarole.
Start the Librarian software. USB was already selected in the midi menu.

Hit 'read all' (or whatever it is - typing this from memory) and bingo!

Actually, the first time I did this I got a 'device timeouted' error as it read through the patches. The spelling suggests it's from the adaptor driver rather than a Windoze error message, but I hit 'read all' again and it worked fine and has done since.

[quote name='jasetbass' timestamp='1362058788' post='1995103']

It just that, generally, most people seem to be having problems with these leads running on Windows 7 rather than XP, so I'm entertaining the idea that it might not be the lead that's the problem...

Cheers,

Jase
[/quote]

Mine's running under Windows 7 and is fine. It might be the sequence of events that's the issue - Barkin seems to have it nailed....

• 2 weeks later...

Barkin/Skinnyman,

Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back in touch, but I couldn't get basschat to work! First Librarian then Basschat...was starting to get a complex!

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice, must've been a faulty lead, got an E-MU Xmidi 1x1, and it worked like a dream, no messin'...ok, it was £24 but it's worth it, I'm gonna make some wicked patches!!!

Thanks again.

Jase