Why become a member? ×

which idiot has broken his left wrist? :(

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1359417004' post='1954607']
Thanks mate, sir duke has been dropped for now from the set !
[/quote]

it's ok, it's just been added to mine so I'll keep it running :lol:

I will give it back as soon as you recover. Not if, but when ;)

sending you good vibes and stuff

Broke my wrist long time ago and was in plaster for 6 weeks ! When they took it off (apart from the smell) I was horrified to see the damage all that muscle atrophy had done.

Until then I'd virtually stopped playing - the fear that I'd never play again gave me a much needed kick in the ass.

IIRC took 3 months for the pain to go and 6 months for full strength to return. Get some foam stress balls to re-build your grip.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1359565215' post='1956754']
Cheers Milty, I am keeping up with your troubles too which are worse than mine but I tend not to post in off topic these days :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't say it was worse... just more deadly. I'm bloody grateful it doesn't affect my arms.

• 2 months later...

[b]Quick update[/b]- looks like my arm has reached as much movement as it will at about 50%! The solution, and this is not a joke, is to have my arm shortened :( Only by a few mm but cutting your arm in half is cutting you arm in half regardless of how much they remove isnt it? :(
Dont know for sure yet and will probably be a few months away so I am going to try and get on with things for now.

WHY ??? :rolleyes:

Only just picked up on this one mate and brilliant to see how you've progressed but i really need to know why you shoved your hand into a moving fan. ??
You kinda lost me with that thinking - :lol:

Its amazing how surgeons can patch us up after we do something slightly silly but we still carry on doing them.
Its also brilliant that you can laugh about it.

PS it definately looks like a bottle opener - :lol:
Are they gonna remove it later.

Could come in handy at parties - :)

All the very best
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1365447687' post='2039824']PS it definately looks like a bottle opener - :lol:
Are they gonna remove it later.[/quote]

I thought it more like an ice-scraper, which kinda explains the further operation(s)

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365445016' post='2039760']
[b]Quick update[/b]- looks like my arm has reached as much movement as it will at about 50%! The solution, and this is not a joke, is to have my arm shortened :( Only by a few mm but cutting your arm in half is cutting you arm in half regardless of how much they remove isnt it? :(
Dont know for sure yet and will probably be a few months away so I am going to try and get on with things for now.
[/quote]

Ok, so how much do they want to shorten it by? 5mm? 10mm? TBH, It's probably worth it in the long run. One arm will be slightly shorter, but surely it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it? If it was me, and shortening it a bit was going to double the mobility of it, I would go for it, and who knows, you could be back playing those lovely Ray's in no time :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1365596488' post='2041530']
I suppose it's not as scary as it sounds... :unsure:
If it gives you a better mobility, I guess it's worth it, plus think of the stories you can then tell down at the pub! :P

still... double ouch.
[/quote]

Like what? "I could open your beer with my wrist"? :D

• 1 month later...

I've just had my plaster taken off after 4 weeks and came on here for any advice on how much movement I can expect to regain.
After reading your post I should just be thankful for what I've got.
Hope all works out for you mate. I feel your pain!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368677131' post='2080076']
Hi chappers, mine is not too good still but hopefully if you didn't break into the joint like me you should be ok sooner, I'm not going to lie though mate its a slow process :(
[/quote]

How are things now anyway, Pete?

• 1 month later...

Sorry missed your post Milty.

Update then, good and bad news really, had some more x-rays done a couple of weeks ago and it turns out that the diagonal screw that holds the piece of bone on has gone right through and is now sticking out into the crease of my wrist joint which may go some way to explaining the pain at that point! So the good news is that rather than the full ulnar shortening op that would of put me back to day one bass wise and 3 months off work is not being done but the plate that was staying in for life is now coming back out in September, two weeks off work and I am hoping to be able to play bass within a few weeks too? Hopefully that will be the end of it after some more physio to see if they can get me some more strength and movement back as it has stalled completely now so I am not going back until after the op, if I am still having trouble after that then it might be back to the shortening op and from the pronounced lump on that side plus where the pain is coming from I can see that might still happen, if it does I will be up to at least two years from start to finish from the day of the break (nov 2012) to the last physio visit after op number three which would not be until next spring plus three months off and three months of physio again (after that op it will be cast again so it will be back to the start as if I have just broke it again!)

ahhhh :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977