Why become a member? ×

Danny Thompson Signature Strings

bassadder

• 2 weeks later...

From a poster on TalkBass:

"As for what his strings sound and play like, I was one of Dannys "Secret shopper testers". He passed the prototype sets out to a good few of us to try and give feedback. I still have the prototypes on my main Bass. A basic overview: Similar to Spirocore (no surprises there) with that growly low end but a much more even and warmer top end. An easier tension and not as metallic sounding out of the packet, much better with the Bow than Spirocores and better than Helicores when bowed too. Very even sound across all strings bowed or plucked. I've used Spirocores and Helicores on both my Basses for years but I'll be using these from now on."

Just when I settle on Spirocore Weich as 'my strings' I read this - these sound great!!! :rolleyes: Obviously I would like to see some more reviews before jumping in though

Edited by Clarky

I have been using them since May and I really like them. They record very well and I have no hand fatigue on gigs. I'd say they are medium tension but maybe a fraction lighter than the Evahs mittel on my other bass. Sound wise somewhere between spirocore and Evah. Every hand and every bass will tell a different story, but I like them. Dunno when they are ready for official release but probably soon.

Edited by Rabbie

Best reply ever from customer relations at Rotosound:

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][font="Calibri"][size="3"]"I know nothing about these strings ….. Sorry" [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][font="Calibri"][size="3"] :blink: [/size][/font][/size][/font]

I'm also curious to hear any news about these. I've gone back to my old Spiro Mittels after experimenting with other strings, as nothing else really makes the sound I want for pizzicato, but mine are pretty old and I'll need a new set at some point. I'm hoping these might be a nice alternative along similar lines. It'd be great if they cost less than Spirocores too, but I don't know if that's likely.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1354188440' post='1883207']
Best reply ever from customer relations at Rotosound:

[font=Calibri][size=3][font=Calibri][size=3]"I know nothing about these strings ….. Sorry" [/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][font=Calibri][size=3] :blink: [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[/quote]
Are they actually made by Rotosound? The video says Rotosound in the title, but Danny calls them Elites. Maybe the Rotosound bit is in error...

[font=Tms Rmn][size=2][font=Tms Rmn][size=2][size=4][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Bass centre reply:[/font][/size]

[size=4]"The Danny Thompson Signature Series Set is indeed a Bass Centre Elites project that we have been working on for some considerable time . [/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][size=4][font=Tms Rmn][font=Tms Rmn]The packaging is being printed presently and [b]we anticipate the finished product to be available this coming week [/b]."[/font][/font][/size]

Edited by Clarky

I managed to get hold of a set of prototypes. First impressions are I like the tension of the D and G - slightly higher than my Spiro Weichs and with more volume. They will cut through nicely I think, I am a bit surprised the E and A are not very growly though as I associate that lovely buzzy growl with Danny's sound. Right now to be honest I prefer the Spiro E and A. That said these strings have only been on my bass less than 24 hours so I need to let them settle. If things don't change much, though, I can see me ending up with a half and half set of Spiro E/A and 'Danny' D/G or maybe just the Spiro E