Why become a member? ×

Bassgear visit

JTUK

My first visit to Phil's shop, Bassgear, in Twyford after being notified by molan that what I have been after for a while, was living there,
and that it would be rude not to pop by and get aquainted.

At this point, I should warn readers that Phil has so many exotic pieces of bass kit that you should prepare for a minimum of 2 hours for the visit....and make sure your CC is working..!!

I can't list..OR recall it all, so apologies here, but expect basses from Ritter, Fodera, F bass, AC, AV, Alembic ...and many ,many others....Godin, Fender, Zon, MM etc etc... it is a veritable Alladins cave...!!!!

I went for an amp... and had a great time... a good few cups of coffee, and we gassed LOADS.

Oh... and the pick of the basses that I tried..baring in mind, I took my own for the amp purchase... was a absolutely memorable 5 str Overwater
acoustic fretless. Now, I am not in the market for either...just nowhere near my radar, but this thing is jaw-droppingly good and I knew I had to get out quick and not dwell ( I had already been there nigh on 3 hrs so I had my excuse )...otherwise I could have been in trouble, ditto, my card.

So, just to say, Thanks, Phil, awesome shop, and thanks to Barrie and Paul as well, for piecing it all together.
Will keep you posted on my purchase...going to gig it tonight.

Recomend a visit to this bass heaven pronto....and I'll be back sometime soon.

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1352596347' post='1865108']
It's a fantastic shop with fantastic people, well worth the trip!
[/quote]

+1

Now bought a cab and a head from Phil and Vic - brilliant service and will be my first choice for anything else I need.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1353063321' post='1871080']
What amp did you go for?
[/quote]

I went for a DB750. It is a loud drummer slayer as I can make his stomach turn over ha ha ..
I used it in a pub but that isn't the place I will want to use it...it was bought for a stage rig.

The previous owner and I agree that this is a modern day SVT ll type amp. Simple but right THERE in terms of its power and clout.
You don't need much tone shaping control.. just tune it on and turn it up.
I am loving it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1353062223' post='1871061']
I was there a couple of months ago and found myself playing [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/bass-guitars1/ritter-royal-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear....oyal-pre-owned/[/url]

Not an every-day experience, in so many ways. :lol:

Great shop, great guy, and let's not forget the great dog.
[/quote]

Agree..,

this is the bass that could get me into a lot of trouble ...

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/bass-guitars1/overwater-expression-custom-fretless-5-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/bass-guitars1/overwater-expression-custom-fretless-5-pre-owned/[/url]

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' timestamp='1353061667' post='1871054']
Thanks John (and everyone else's kind words)

...and thank you very much for the box of goodies received in the post from you!

Next time you come, there's a little 'thank you' waiting for you <_<

Phil
[/quote]

No problem Phil... let me know if you need any more.

Ohh... goodies..? best not leave it too long to pop back up then. :lol:

I might pop up to see a local gig at some point as well. Hopefully Barrie or yourself will keep me posted.

I always find it a shame that the majority of bass stores are based down south. I understand they probably need to be there to get the 'London' area, but it'd be great to have one closer up NARTTTHHH.

I await the 'drive down'/'get a train'...but city centre living means I sold my car as it was just rusting away sucking up money. Plus I work long hours in the week so the weekend is spent getting on with other things. Argh. Such is life.

I'd love to get to Bass Gear. Some great gear in stock.

I also keep thinking about ordering a set of DB112s...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353066634' post='1871129']
I always find it a shame that the majority of bass stores are based down south. I understand they probably need to be there to get the 'London' area, but it'd be great to have one closer up NARTTTHHH.

I await the 'drive down'/'get a train'...but city centre living means I sold my car as it was just rusting away sucking up money. Plus I work long hours in the week so the weekend is spent getting on with other things. Argh. Such is life.

I'd love to get to Bass Gear. Some great gear in stock.

I also keep thinking about ordering a set of DB112s...
[/quote]

Location, location etc etc .. very easy for the train and very near London without all the probelms of being IN London, IMV.
I guess it is all about your client base..

I am currently doing the same for a DB212
Hmm, G..go for the DB112's and then I swap my AE112's :lol: