Why become a member? ×

Elixir new stainless steel nanoweb coated - anyone tried them?

tonyclaret

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1352329405' post='1861926']
Oh, here! http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-12/reviews-(1)/elixir-coated-stainless-steel-and-coated-nickel-plated-strings/ there's a video in the mag too.
[/quote]

Couldn't get link to work? Sounds like just the review I was looking for.

Edited by tonyclaret

[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-12/reviews-(1)/elixir-coated-stainless-steel-and-coated-nickel-plated-strings/"]http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-12/reviews-(1)/elixir-coated-stainless-steel-and-coated-nickel-plated-strings/[/url]

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1352329927' post='1861935']
[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-12/reviews-(1)/elixir-coated-stainless-steel-and-coated-nickel-plated-strings/"]http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-12/reviews-(1)/elixir-coated-stainless-steel-and-coated-nickel-plated-strings/[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you! :)

I've also been using the originals for years; for me they feel brilliant and literally last 6 months at least. Couldn't be happier but also want to try the new ones just out of curiosity. Thanks for the link.

I'd be interested to hear how you get in with yours

ped

Anyone want these? Elixir stainless, taken off after a month.

Couldnt get on with them. You need a 2 a side headstock - wont fit a Fender style.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190079-fs-%3B-elixir-stainless-bass-string-set-l17-taken-off-a-spector-euro-after-1-months-use/page__fromsearch__1

Ped, i owe you a favour re a Peavey footswitch from a while ago. PM me if they'll fit your bass.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1352334928' post='1861993']
Anyone want these?

Couldnt get on with them. You need a 2 a side headstock - wont fit a Fender style.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190079-fs-%3B-elixir-stainless-bass-string-set-l17-taken-off-a-spector-euro-after-1-months-use/page__fromsearch__1
[/quote]

Too thick for me, I'm a .40-.95 man. That reminds me, actually - I had a quick look earlier and I couldn't actually see my preferred gauge in stainless, but could for the nickels. maybe that was because the retailer didn't have any but not sure.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1352361253' post='1862056']
Madness! I can imagine with steels though you get an awesome clank with plenty of overtones :D
[/quote]

Actually I play so lightly that fret buzz and clank are only there if I wish, and when I do, I can dig in a little and bring it in. I do like a little clank as it gives the notes a sort of 'bottom' that I find quite satisfying.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1352366821' post='1862125']
Actually I play so lightly that fret buzz and clank are only there if I wish, and when I do, I can dig in a little and bring it in. I do like a little clank as it gives the notes a sort of 'bottom' that I find quite satisfying.
[/quote]

Sounds wicked! I don't have that sort of self control :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1352397933' post='1862598']

Sounds wicked! I don't have that sort of self control :lol:
[/quote]

Lol well I haven't changed my action for 6 years so I'm really happy with it. I remember when I first played this bass and it was really satisfying because it was the sound I had in my head. I've tried other strings but I guess I'm too weak to slap them properly! It's got to the point where I get flustered when someone hands me a bass with thick strings and a high action, it feels like my hands are numb. When I was at TC Electronic I played one of their lakland jazz basses and I'm afraid I sounded horrible!

I have been waiting for Elixir to bring out stainless strings for ages! Just ordered 5 sets. I find the nickel plated strings to be quite bright compared to other brands anyway. Not quite bright enough for me, so it has been a bit of a trade off due to the primary benefits of long life and silky feel. I do like my string tone to be bright (like DR, D'Addario). I am sure these new stainless strings are going to be very lively...just the way I like normally em!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1352399053' post='1862612']
I have been waiting for Elixir to bring out stainless strings for ages! Just ordered 5 sets. I find the nickel plated strings to be quite bright compared to other brands anyway. Not quite bright enough for me, so it has been a bit of a trade off due to the primary benefits of long life and silky feel. I do like my string tone to be bright (like DR, D'Addario). I am sure these new stainless strings are going to be very lively...just the way I like normally em!
[/quote]

Nice, check back and tell us how they compare. I find the nickels bright enough for me, but it's always interesting to experiment! Can they be bought with a .40-.95 gauge?

{edit, now I'm at my computer} Ah, no you can't. Well, that rules them out for me.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1352399618' post='1862622']
Nice, check back and tell us how they compare. I find the nickels bright enough for me, but it's always interesting to experiment! Can they be bought with a .40-.95 gauge?
[/quote]

I have been buying the .45-.105 gauge set and a single .130 low B for donkeys now, so I just went straight for them. I just checked the Elixir website and it looks like the stainless gauges start from .45 (the lightest set being .45-.100). They will probably launch a super light gauge into the market if punters nag them for it.

Edited by shizznit

Were/Are the originals Nickel wrapped, then?
I really can't see the point in taking steels, Nickel plating them and [i]then[/i] coating them!
I don't like them on anything with phenolic fretboards (so that's 3 basses out for me!), but they sound great on "woody" sounding instruments.
They are on two of my three Warwicks. I use DR Fatbeams and Sunbeams on everything else.
I'll have a look at the reviews, though!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1352398608' post='1862609']
Lol well I haven't changed my action for 6 years so I'm really happy with it. I remember when I first played this bass and it was really satisfying because it was the sound I had in my head. I've tried other strings but I guess I'm too weak to slap them properly! It's got to the point where I get flustered when someone hands me a bass with thick strings and a high action, it feels like my hands are numb. When I was at TC Electronic I played one of their lakland jazz basses and I'm afraid I sounded horrible!
[/quote]

I live for the clank! And I like the strings to have some resistance because of my aggressive attack... But I've been tempted to try lighter gauges so that I don't have to play super hard all the time, and to make fast twiddly bits less of a chore!