Why become a member? ×

I did something stupid. Have I killed my amp?

Jesso

I was doing a bit of A/B ing between a GK mb 200 and my power amp / tone hammer pedal setup.
I thought it would be nice and handy to hook both amps up to the same cab, so I could A/B more easily.
Silly me.
Although I never had both amps on at the same time, I didn't realize that even if it's not on, connecting an amp to the same binding post as another is a terrible idea.
Anyway, the GK died. Luckily it's not a terribly expensive bit of kit..... but will I be able to get it fixed?
Also, it may be my imagination, but the inuke is not sounding quite as good as it used to. Could I have damaged that too? And is there any way to find out for sure.
Thoughts?
(Other than "You total and utter spanner")

Spanner for sure.
But, I really thought I couldn't do any damage so long as I had the 2nd amp off.
Silly silly me. Lesson learned.
How do you check to see if a power amp has lost some of it's function? Or .... does it even work like that? Can a class D amp kind of half die, but still sound pretty ok?

Others surely are better at this, but fwiw:
Besides the output transistors themselves, loads of other components can have died or have been damaged, so there's no saying that fixing it is easy or hard.
As to the other amp, yes, you may have damaged components behind the output transistors in such a way that the sound stays but changes.

Depending on architecture, one can measure components, but it's hardly economic these days.

I hope you get a better reply from someone else tomorrow.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352159007' post='1859629']

Besides the output transistors themselves, loads of other components can have died or have been damaged, so there's no saying that fixing it is easy or hard.
As to the other amp, yes, you may have damaged components behind the output transistors in such a way that the sound stays but changes.

[/quote]

So good news then....
I have a feeling that I've done something to the inuke. It definitely sounded off at the weekend. Luckily, they don't cost the earth.... but still a nasty little episode.

not sure the cab would have gotten off scot free either...

i would have thought the output stage of the amp/amps would be damaged..but you need to tell the story to the repair guys ..and when they have stopped tut-tuting, they should be able to put it right, amp-wise.

Have you checked the cab..?

Cab seems fine thankfully.... barefaced midgets don't come cheap y'know!
Still not sure about the inuke.
I'm going to try it driving a full range PA with recorded music at high volume, that way I should be able to hear easily enough if something is off.
Lesson learned x 10000!!!!
Hopefully this will prevent at least one other person doing something spannery in the future too.
At least the amps were both modestly priced jobbys. I'd hate to do something like this to an expensive aggie / ampeg etc.

I nearly did the same thing a while back. This is the thread I posted here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174033-two-heads-sharing-one-cab-possible/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174033-two-heads-sharing-one-cab-possible/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I realise its not much use to you now..............

Basschat saved a vintage Hiwatt from going up in smoke.........

Jas