Why become a member? ×

Does anyone use a Mac / Ipad for effects?

Chambo

I have Peavey Ampkit for my iPad, and have both the available bass amps - Ashdown ABM 900 and Trace Elliot 1215.
I don't have any problems with latency whatsoever, but I do find it a bit noisy, especially when you add some dirt. It does have a noise gate which does a decent job.

I've never used it live, but often use it to practice. It's a bit more appropriate at midnight than 300 watts....

There's a large choice of effects to choose from - they're typically modelled on well known pedals. They only cost a couple of quid each too. For example, the Octapuss (Boss OC-2) is £2.99. At the very least, it lets you demo effects for the price of a happy meal!

I'd also recommend the free version of the app ahead of the paid version. The only difference is that some amps and pedals are bundled - but seems guitar rather than bass oriented. Better spending your cash buying the amp models and effects you actually want.

If you already have an iPad, it's worth spending £20-£30 on the guitar interface plus £4 for the Ashdown amp model and whatever effects you want.

The guitarist in my band uses one of the Digitech imac pedalboards..[url="http://www.digitech.com/en/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard"]http://www.digitech.com/en/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard[/url]. Just have to download a free app and theres loads of pedals to choose from and sounds spot on too. I hear they might be doing a bass version as well.

I've played around with Loopy, which is by far the best looper app on the Ipad, issues come when to really use it well you need an Alesis IODock and a decent midi footswitch, I used the Behringer FCB1010 which is fine but then found the Line 6 M9 will work just as well, but if you've got that your looping needs might be covered.

Effectively there is no decent way to loop if you don't have foot control to start and stop recording,

I'd like to tag on to this thread by asking also which is the better of the ipad interfaces out there? I'm leaning towards the Line 6 Mobile In interface, though i know the Apogee Jam is also good, yet doesn't come with the likes of Line 6's 'pod-like' software.

I have an Apogee GIO which interfaces seamlessly with Mainstage (£20 download). Mainstage gives you access to all the logic gubbins and plugins. £120-£160 on ebay. I'm sure I could make another footpedal do similar things but I really CBA with ffaff any more.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1352397238' post='1862579']
I'd like to tag on to this thread by asking also which is the better of the ipad interfaces out there? I'm leaning towards the Line 6 Mobile In interface, though i know the Apogee Jam is also good, yet doesn't come with the likes of Line 6's 'pod-like' software.
[/quote]

Depends if your going to need midi and audio, the apogee jam is awesome if you just need audio, I needed audio and midi so the only option is the alesis iodock and its ok, but its designed for the iPad 1 and getting the 3 in is a bit of a faff unless it ships with the correct adaptor now

I use iRig with Amplitube on my iPad for practice and love it. £20 for the iRig (maybe a bit over, can't remember), £11 for the "full" Amplitube, plus I spent £2 on a compressor and £10.50 on the 8 track recorder. Awesome app, bit expensive but worth it for me.

Edited by Evil Undead