Why become a member? ×

Gumtree Scam

Chrismanbass

Hi guys just found out that i was nearly scammed by this advert on gumtree

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mackie-srm350-v2-black-active-powered-pa-speakers-3/1002227910"]http://www.gumtree.c...rs-3/1002227910[/url]

the price was a little too good to be true anyway however i decided to pursue it a bit further to see where it lead

the seller claimed that "unfortunately i've been called into work for the rest of this week however i can send them via courier free from work"

so i agreed as no money had changed hands yet i then got a nice official looking email from parcelforce worldwide with a tracking number and asking me to put £280 on a ukash voucher so that the courier driver could make the transfer of funds once i had recieved the goods

at this point i was very sceptical and so i called parcel force to run the tracking number by them and was told for definate at this point it was a scam what they do is take the voucher numbers from the confirmation email you send them and redeem the money and you never see your items

this ones new to me so i thought a heads up was in order

Edited by Chrismanbass

Lazy scammers, they just ripped the pics & description from this ebay ad [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mackie-SRM350-V2-BLACK-Active-Powered-PA-Speakers-3-/170927378969?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item27cc10d219&nma=true&si=4qSG5f%2B%2BY3Kr4MxgZ6nlXDBh7aA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

Edited by MrTaff

Had a run in with (probably) the same person a few weeks ago over an advert for a Gibbo Les Paul Traditional. Seller contacted me via an internet SMS with no phone number attached, quoting an email address to use for communicaion. I was suspicious and googled the email address which turned up a forum thread. Turns out this person has had all kinds advertised, not just music gear, and had rinsed a number of people for hundreds of quid after reeling off crap excuses for not meeting in person and asking payment through UKASH.

I've had a fair few good experiences on Gumtree, including buying stuff via Paypal and getting it delivered. The scammers are usually easy to spot and ignore so long as you've got your wits about you.

I had a similar thing a few weeks ago. I saw ad for a tele at a silly price with a mobile number attached. - Called it and left a message and I got this a text and then email through a day later:

[b]Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so
couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting
my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :) .

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance
to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad
surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on 07973=425=052 low signal strength area :( but check
emails regularly.
Ta,
Stacey.
P.S. Will take cash only.[/b]

I then tried to arrange to meet up locally but the seller never confirmed, I then got this message:

[b]Unfortunately I've just got called into the office (i get sent countrywide with less than 24hrs notice) so very busy till next week. Back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge :) company benefits :) .

I asked around and it seems you can pay cash upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment with no extra charge.

If that's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and also date&time suitable for the delivery.
Working long hours so If you want to pop in and pick it up you'll have to wait till next week or so when hopefully I'll get my head around :)
Let me know either way.
Stacey.[/b]

The english is well written and fairly believable but is definitely a scam. Around half of all the adverts I see on gumtree are clearly scams or turn out to be fake. There are some genuine sellers out there but ALWAYS call the person and speak to them to get a feel for whether they are trying to rip you off and ideally meet them to examine the goods in person.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1351709931' post='1854511']
If it turns out to be a scam, give them the run around as much as you can, if everyone does that, it will become not worth the time for them.
[/quote]
If you are going to do this, use a separate email address because you will attract a blizzard of spam!

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1351709546' post='1854506']
I had a similar thing a few weeks ago. I saw ad for a tele at a silly price with a mobile number attached. - Called it and left a message and I got this a text and then email through a day later:

[b]Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so
couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting
my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :) .

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance
to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad
surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on 07973=425=052 low signal strength area :( but check
emails regularly.
Ta,
Stacey.
P.S. Will take cash only.[/b]

I then tried to arrange to meet up locally but the seller never confirmed, I then got this message:

[b]Unfortunately I've just got called into the office (i get sent countrywide with less than 24hrs notice) so very busy till next week. Back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge :) company benefits :) .

I asked around and it seems you can pay cash upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment with no extra charge.

If that's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and also date&time suitable for the delivery.
Working long hours so If you want to pop in and pick it up you'll have to wait till next week or so when hopefully I'll get my head around :)
Let me know either way.
Stacey.[/b]

The english is well written and fairly believable but is definitely a scam. Around half of all the adverts I see on gumtree are clearly scams or turn out to be fake. There are some genuine sellers out there but ALWAYS call the person and speak to them to get a feel for whether they are trying to rip you off and ideally meet them to examine the goods in person.
[/quote]

yeh thats the exact same transcript as i got more or less might give them the run around for a little while just for a laugh

I am almost embarrassed to admit that this exact type of Scam happened to me and I bought it 'hook line and sinker'.
It was for an AKG 414 mic. The price was too good to be true. Normally I'd be awake to this sort of scam but I was at a Wedding reception when I was conducting the transaction so I was a bit distracted and had a beer or two or three. I kept all the receipts including the UKash and all the emails and messages and sent them to Gumtree but to no avail. If you do buy from Gumtree best to meet the person you are dealing with. Lesson learnt! Thanks for sharing this post.

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1351731572' post='1854845']
I am almost embarrassed to admit that this exact type of Scam happened to me and I bought it 'hook line and sinker'.
It was for an AKG 414 mic. The price was too good to be true. Normally I'd be awake to this sort of scam but I was at a Wedding reception when I was conducting the transaction so I was a bit distracted and had a beer or two or three. I kept all the receipts including the UKash and all the emails and messages and sent them to Gumtree but to no avail. If you do buy from Gumtree best to meet the person you are dealing with. Lesson learnt! Thanks for sharing this post.
[/quote]

dont worry mate if it was't for a friends intuition i would've probably done the same thing

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1351691624' post='1854233']
Hi guys just found out that i was nearly scammed by this advert on gumtree

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mackie-srm350-v2-black-active-powered-pa-speakers-3/1002227910"]http://www.gumtree.c...rs-3/1002227910[/url]

the price was a little too good to be true anyway however i decided to pursue it a bit further to see where it lead

the seller claimed that "unfortunately i've been called into work for the rest of this week however i can send them via courier free from work"

so i agreed as no money had changed hands yet i then got a nice official looking email from parcelforce worldwide with a tracking number and asking me to put £280 on a ukash voucher so that the courier driver could make the transfer of funds once i had recieved the goods

at this point i was very sceptical and so i called parcel force to run the tracking number by them and was told for definate at this point it was a scam what they do is take the voucher numbers from the confirmation email you send them and redeem the money and you never see your items

this ones new to me so i thought a heads up was in order
[/quote]

My wife works on a fraud helpline - apparently this is quite a common occurrence. Fraudsters target Gumtree/Ebay/Autotrader etc - basically anywhere that items can be bought or sold. UKash can only be redeemed on specific sites that have registered with UKash.
The best thing to do is to advise the sites (Gumtree etc) about the advert being fraudulent and then call Action Fraud on 0300 2342040 or look on the website... www.actionfraud.police.uk
... they'll take a report so all the data can be collated and sent to the relevant authority (they can't help you get money back though). Just give them as much detail as you can - eg reference numbers for the advert etc.