Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Info

Musicman20

Yet another Sandberg thread!

Can anyone comment on the upgrade to a 3 band EQ? I am very much a fan of having control of mids, so to me the 3 band seems a no brainer.

Does anyone own a Sandberg with the 3 EQ system? I am considering a VM4 or VM5 at the moment, and I have the colour/fretboard decisions out the way, but I need to consider the EQ section.

Agreed, i loved using my 2 band Musicman for years, but as soon as i got a bass with a 3 band eq i wondered how i ever mangaged without the mid control, it makes a big difference to your sound options. Im also fancying a Sandberg but the lack of mid control is making me give it more thought. Incidently im considering putting a John East pre in my MM get the sound control i prefer.

To further explain the subject i must add this, i had a Stingray5 and i HAD to definetly change the EQ because it pumped too many lows muddying the stage sound and drowning the rest of the band. Since i got the TRB i never touched the thing gain, all tone came out of the pickup mix with the pan together with the right hand attack placement. Having owned the Sandberg for a few days i still haven't found an excuse to fiddle with the EQ exept only to boost a bit of the low end while fooling around at home, in the band i won't be doing that or i'll risk ruining the band's mix ;)

There is no excuse to not be able to change some tone with technique, I agree, but I don't see any harm with dropping the treble and boosting the mids...that is what it is there for...to change things a little.

Having small changes to your onboard bass EQ won't make a massive difference unless you crank the bass...the crowd/etc won't notice a thing.

The Sandberg EQ has got a lot to live upto for me because I personally think the Musicman EQ is the best onboard EQ I've used. Simple and effective, even on the 4 band versions.

If it works for you then go ahead. :)
From my experience with MM i must admit that i hate their preamps on the stingrays, IMHO is the only (and a major) flaw on those basses (that and the weight but we all know that tone must come with a price...), i just found them very useless and i've tried a few different MM with 2 and 3 knob EQ. the only ones i liked was on a Bongo and on a Sabre.

Sorry to hijack the thread but didnt want to start another. Has anyone any experience of the delano xtenders used in the custom model? Cant decide between a ken taylor or custom 5er. If anyone can shed light on how the xtenders perform vs the double bucks in terms of the low end/bass it would be great.

Don't get me wrong I love my Basic (which has a 3 band) to pieces, but I don't really rate the preamp personally. the treble and bass controls have a very wide range, which isn't really for me, more for suitble changes I guess than total tone change.

If I ever had the cash I'd swap it out to the John East stingray preamp, with the added mid control, a much better system.

Well, having owned a California, a couple of Basics, and a Basic Ken Taylor, I think I would probably always plump for the 3-band. That said, I never felt like I was missing anything on the Cali, and the passive tone control was a useful feature. It seems that most people like the Glocks but some don't, I think probably because they are very transparent and natural sounding, so it depends what basses you had experienced previously, but I think some people just feel like the pre isn't "doing" enough or isn't colouring the sound enough. I found the same when I got my first Basic (now residing with Primebass!). I thought that it sounded great, but wasn't "bassy" enough, or full enough sounding, so I cranked the bass up a fair bit. At the first gig with it I had several friends tell me to back the bass off a bit because it was booming through the place and overpowering everything! I adjusted accordingly, and at the end of the night had various people tell me that it sounded incredible, and was the best bass sound I'd ever had! The controls on the Glock preamps interact to a great extent, so you need to use all three in conjunction with each other. It's a very intuitive control system and seems to accomodate a greater and more subtle variation of tones, rather than feeling like you're just boosting or cutting specific frequency bands. In my experience, subtlety is the key with a Sandberg bass, and you just need to let the natural tone and response of the bass and quality of the build and components shine through. I tend to run mine with the blend biased slightly toward the neck pup, treble flat, Mid boosted a little, and bass boosted a little more. One thing I've found with all of these basses is that they sit in a band mix really well, are nice and clear, defined and punchy without being too imposing.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1351249232' post='1849186']
There is no excuse to not be able to change some tone with technique, I agree, but I don't see any harm with dropping the treble and boosting the mids...that is what it is there for...to change things a little.

Having small changes to your onboard bass EQ won't make a massive difference unless you crank the bass...the crowd/etc won't notice a thing.

The Sandberg EQ has got a lot to live upto for me because I personally think the Musicman EQ is the best onboard EQ I've used. Simple and effective, even on the 4 band versions.
[/quote]
+1
I add a touch of bass on my Stingray's EQ but except that mids are my main use. I play in 90's alternative rock and grunge covers band so if I need to play RATM, Chilli Peppers or Tool I boost the mids but then for Smashing Pumpkins or Incubus I need to turn mids down for the softer sounds. EQ on the amp does not do the same.
As for Sandbergs - 3 band EQ cost extra. I read alot about them in last few days and love to play one (California VM) but no one stock them in London :(

• 4 weeks later...

I just spotted a light blue Sandberg TM4 in relic format today. It was in GuitarGuitar.

Firstly, the build quality was pretty spot on. Nice chunky bridge, and the usual areas neck pocket etc were spot on.

I only played it unplugged, but I found it quite heavy and a bit 'clunky'...

This was quite heavily relic'd, and after seeing pictures, I was a bit shocked to find it looking very artificial. It looked like a chisel had been used on it, then left. Not sure if its my thing at all.

I didn't get chance to plug it in as it was lunch time, but the first few moments with it didn't feel quite right.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353686415' post='1877489']
This was quite heavily relic'd, and after seeing pictures, I was a bit shocked to find it looking very artificial. It looked like a chisel had been used on it, then left. Not sure if its my thing at all.
[/quote]

Is it this one on the website?

If it is I have to say the aged process doesn't look anything as well done as my new VT5.

Yep, that is the one. I'm probably a bit difficulty to please with any relic as its not really my thing, but something didn't feel right when I picked it up. Then again, I said that about the Jazz neck on Fender's at first.

I did see a small seletion of Laklands and wasn't impressed by them.

Weirdly, the most impressive thing I saw was a 2012 AS Fender P bass in Charcoal Frost. The fit and finished were excellent and the colour was really cool under the shop lights.

I'll be honest I can't recommend a VM5 enough. Easily the most comfortable 5 string I've ever played. Unfortunately I can't comment on the EQ issue because I have the 2 band version, however I honestly feel once you've played one you'll be sold on it. It's the best bass I've ever owned - sounds phenomenal through my set up both live and in the studio (all IMHO of course :) ) and is a joy to play.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1353695826' post='1877639']
I'm not normally a fan of relicing, but that does look good!

That blue thing is dog-ugly though.
[/quote]

I tried one in that finish (with added) with a maple fingerboard. I must say it looked great in the flesh (and sounded great). For some reason though, that same finish with rosewood board does nothing for me.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1353695826' post='1877639']

That blue thing is dog-ugly though.
[/quote]I don't mind relicing and have owned a Fender P roadworn which was quite sympathetically done. Walbassist's burst looks really good but I have to agree that that blue jazz looks like an amateur effort. This surprises me as, having owned a Sandberg, every part of their build process, from shaping to finish, is normally top notch.