Why become a member? ×

'Isn't She Lovely' - Vic Wooten playing in a tent in the rain

urb

"Groan, not another VW video" I hear you say - well I enjoyed this and there's no slapping on it - actually I think it shows just how human and raw Vic's playing can be as he's reaching for stuff, and making mistakes, as if he's jamming alone at home - plus I think it's actually woth quoting the description to give you the context of where and why he's playing (from the uploader):

"Bass Clinic at MaKo Music, April 23, 2012. Filmed by Jason Werner, Audio by Scott Griffin
Victor put on this clinic at a local music school in Mechanicsville, Va. He and the school's owner had worked together at several of Victor's music camps, including one that was flooded by a storm which resulted in all kinds of mayhem! He decided to put on this free clinic at the school, and this is one song from that day. It should be pointed out that this was at 8am Sunday morning, and during a torrential downpour. Victor showed up, picked up the bass, and absolutely shredded for about 30 minutes straight. Then he answered some questions from the crowd, and was just a great guy all around. He also signed a bass I brought."

and if you listen on headphones you can hear the rain hammering against the tent - anyway it just made me feel good listenin to it - not for any other reason that it's played with such a great groove and feeling.... the bass line half way through is the best bit I think

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynnYLXW3Fo[/media]

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350936348' post='1845364']
"Groan, not another VW video" I hear you say - well I enjoyed this and there's no slapping on it - actually I think it shows just how human and raw Vic's playing can be as he's reaching for stuff, and making mistakes, as if he's jamming alone at home - plus I think it's actually woth quoting the description to give you the context of where and why he's playing (from the uploader):

"Bass Clinic at MaKo Music, April 23, 2012. Filmed by Jason Werner, Audio by Scott Griffin
Victor put on this clinic at a local music school in Mechanicsville, Va. He and the school's owner had worked together at several of Victor's music camps, including one that was flooded by a storm which resulted in all kinds of mayhem! He decided to put on this free clinic at the school, and this is one song from that day. It should be pointed out that this was at 8am Sunday morning, and during a torrential downpour. Victor showed up, picked up the bass, and absolutely shredded for about 30 minutes straight. Then he answered some questions from the crowd, and was just a great guy all around. He also signed a bass I brought."

and if you listen on headphones you can hear the rain hammering against the tent - anyway it just made me feel good listenin to it - not for any other reason that it's played with such a great groove and feeling.... the bass line half way through is the best bit I think

[media]http://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynnYLXW3Fo[/media]

[/quote]

Amazing! Victor is the man!

Was the first thing I saw this morning and made me feel good...
Wooten is just great.. I never have the feeling that he's digging out some old routine, he breathes and loves music..
He's also the bass player who brought out a lot of things and techniques in me, without him it wouldn't have been possible.
Not that I can play like him but he showed me doors which I could open and he broadened my horizon...
Every time I get stuck in a rut watching some stuff by him brings out good things in me...

Took me a long time to 'get' Victor's playing, and I still find some of his solo/improvisation stuff a bit of a bore as technically astounding as it is... But I really love the guy and his whole approach to music and the bass. He can groove like no other! His sense of time, rhythm and grasp on percussive playing means that he can construct whole pieces of music on just 4 strings without sounding like something is missing :)

There are plenty of lesson/lecture snippets of his on YouTube and I always feel like a better musician after listening to what he has to say.

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351377559' post='1850731']
That's nice. Boring question: Do you have to take the neck off to put a tight piece of elastic around the headstock like that? Seems it would be difficult to get around the headstock and tuners and still be effective on the strings when dragged over the nut.
[/quote]

Mate of mine uses a scrunchie and he cut it, put it round and restitched it

Edited by leschirons

Victor Wooten in a tent, aka VW Camper. :-)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351377559' post='1850731']
That's nice. Boring question: Do you have to take the neck off to put a tight piece of elastic around the headstock like that? Seems it would be difficult to get around the headstock and tuners and still be effective on the strings when dragged over the nut.
[/quote]

I would imagine that Mr Wooten's bass is a set neck, so taking it off would not be an option! I don't think it needs to be super tight, as it acts as a damper/mute rather than a capo.

Edited by Roland Rock