Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's Your Neck Size?

Mr Bassman

Over the years I've owned at least [s]17[/s] 18 different uprights, both acoustic and EUB's, no two have had the same neck profile or fingerboard.

As you may have seen in the for sale section I've got a mates bass which has a beefy neck that I'm liking.

So just out of interest I thought I'd measure around the F on the E string and compare it with others I have around.

I found the best way was to cut a 3/4" strip of A4 paper, slide it under the strings and wrap it round marking the point of overlap and then measure it with a ruler, if that makes sense.

German Flatback - 6 1/8"

Slb100 - 5 13/16"

Hungarian - 5 3/4"

SLB200 - 5 9/16"

French - 5 1/2"

Eminence - 5 3/16'

How do yours measure up?

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1350548270' post='1840246']
I've got to go looking for my other two but right now the Bryant and Upton are 5 3/4 and the Kolstein Travel is 5 3/8.
[/quote]

I'm surprised that the Kolstein is 5 3/8 when the Eminence feels thicker at 5 3/16

Jayne has a V neck - albeit slightly rounded after some sanding to take out a couple of dents. I quite like it, and prefer it to my Eminence neck. But then I have small paws and find those big chunky D profiles far to much hard work.

I'll get the tape out after work and measure up.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1350549853' post='1840274']
I'm surprised that the Kolstein is 5 3/8 when the Eminence feels thicker at 5 3/16
[/quote]

Yup, remeasured at 5 3/8" Profile could differ up the neck, I suppose.

Edited by bassace

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1350561372' post='1840478']
Er, I'm using a tailor's measure but having trouble with imperial... At the low C, the neck of my NXT5 measures 5 inches and 2 whatever-they-ares (apologies, I'm serioulsy useless!), which in "real" measurements (LOOOL) is a circumference of 13.5cm :D
[/quote]

That's slim for a 5 :)

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1350562291' post='1840500']
That's slim for a 5 :)
[/quote]

Absolutely. The nut width at the low C is exactly the same as that of my 5-string Rockbasses, although obviously I've had to get used to width and string spacing substantially increasing towards the bridge. The NXT5 is so easy to play it almost feels like a bass guitar stood on end, at least until you start moving away from the first positions and going up the neck (which I still do only rarely).

I'm still gassing for a real DB, though, but that's out of the question for the moment.

Edited by bluejay

German Blonde Bertha here is 15.4 cm (6.06 inches) at the F on the E string but I also measured at the G position on the E string - 13.3 cm (5.24 inches) because at the F position, the curve up to the headstock makes the dimension bigger there, confusing the issue I think.