Why become a member? ×

Thanks to Basschat

Huge Hands

I just wanted, especially in the light of the recent threads on atmosphere, to say thanks to all at Basschat.

After about 2 months off sick recovering from 4 operations, I finally went back to work yesterday, and back to our band's regular Tuesday night practice afterwards.

It was great to get back with the guys, and try out my new flatwounds through a big amp.

I joined Basschat at the start of my problem, and watching the forum has been great help in keeping me sane and staving off the boredom! I would especially like to thank my old mate chardbass for introducing me to here in the first place after I fell in love with his Lakland JO5. I have had a lot of gas since then, but have had to come to the realisation that the wife and the cats come first, so I'll have to just keep dreaming..!

Last night's rehearsal was just in time. We have a gig on Saturday at Jazz After Dark in Soho. It's smaller than most people's bedrooms, and hence is a pain to get into, but if you fancy a laugh watching us all fumble through songs that we can't remember how to play and probably didn't know properly in the first place, then by all means stop by. I'm afraid I can't do any guest list sort of thing because any more than 10 people and the venue will be full!

Anyway, here is our myspace: www.myspace.com/thewangdangdoodles. We do this for a laugh, so no harm done if you think it's s**t!

By the way, our profile may have the word jazz on it, and the venue may be called Jazz After Dark, but we don't claim to be jazzers (sorry Bilbo, we're just not that good). We tend to play blues/soul/r&b, and try to keep a little bit off the beaten track with our set list.

Thanks again, and please keep up the good atmosphere. It's been a great help.

P.S. Mrs T - is it my turn at Scrabulous?

Stew

S'alright, HH, no need to apologise. Most jazz out there isn't jazz, most jazz venues don't put jazz on very much and most aftershaves don't swing. Most jazz festivals are chock full of stuff that isn't jazz and most jazz bins in record shops are not full of jazz cds.

And most owners of Fender Jazz basses STILL don't play jazz on them (despite my campaign). :huh:

Have a good one. :)

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='193698' date='May 7 2008, 10:59 AM']hello Huge Hands, that's great to hear mate - hope your problems are behind you. Was that Jo5 a candy apple red one with a J Retro in it? If it was, twas mine before chardbass - lovely bass.[/quote]

Thanks. That does sound like it. I think he said he has changed the pup(s), but I'm sure he'll be along to correct me soon. He lives miles away from me now, and I have never actually seen it in the flesh, only through some pics of him I saw. Fell in love at first sight, although not sure the colour would be my choice.

Just wish I had the cash to blow on one!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='193698' date='May 7 2008, 10:59 AM']hello Huge Hands, that's great to hear mate - hope your problems are behind you. Was that Jo5 a candy apple red one with a J Retro in it? If it was, twas mine before chardbass - lovely bass.[/quote]

Hey Alan, hey Stu,

Alan- tis the same bass- and I still haven't got over the embarrassment of leaving you waiting in your car for hours when we did the exchange- I think I was still asleep when I gave you the money (it was 4k wasn't it?) :)

Still have the bass but I agree with what most say about these basses- much better passive.
swapping the Fralins back in as I had tried some Nords.
Might try a Sad pre as I'm finding the J retro has almost too many options and may be a bit more of a match for the bass.

Stu- glad your back on the mend. Your tech knowledge on all things 'sound' has been a great help on the forum- not that I've been stalking you or anything.
Good luck for the gig.
And good luck with the GAS- stop making excuses. I've got a wife and cats too!

[quote name='chardbass' post='193708' date='May 7 2008, 11:31 AM']Your tech knowledge on all things 'sound' has been a great help on the forum- not that I've been stalking you or anything.[/quote]

Ha ha,

My technical terminology certainly improved after meeting you - your descriptions of how badly the mics smelled will stay with me forever, and have been copied on several occasions!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='193691' date='May 7 2008, 10:40 AM']S'alright, HH, no need to apologise. Most jazz out there isn't jazz, most jazz venues don't put jazz on very much and most aftershaves don't swing. Most jazz festivals are chock full of stuff that isn't jazz and most jazz bins in record shops are not full of jazz cds.

And most owners of Fender Jazz basses STILL don't play jazz on them (despite my campaign). ;)

Have a good one. :)[/quote]
Yes, the Jazz Cafe in Camden is the best of the lot. I think they have one jazz artist per year, and when they do I miss it, even though I'm just round the corner :huh:

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='193763' date='May 7 2008, 12:17 PM']Ha ha,

My technical terminology certainly improved after meeting you - your descriptions of how badly the mics smelled will stay with me forever, and have been copied on several occasions![/quote]

Ah yes - you know you've been sound engineer for the same band for too long when you can indentify which mic belongs to who simply by smell alone.....

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='193944' date='May 7 2008, 03:33 PM']Is that supposed to be funny cheddatom?[/quote]

Maybe it's meant to be erotic?

Jazz After Dark is a great place to gig. Everything is against you and so if you can pull off a good gig, it's because it all came from you. One gig there is worth 20 rehearsals. Good luck with it. I won't be able to make it along unfortunately.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='193944' date='May 7 2008, 03:33 PM']Is that supposed to be funny cheddatom?[/quote]

"group hug" represents the general atmosphere of this thread. I'm enjoying it.

The state of undress of the men in the picture I thought would be funny, yes. Do you not agree? Never mind, you can still join in the group hug :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='193984' date='May 7 2008, 04:17 PM']I wasn't talking about the top picture.[/quote]

Ahh, I made a thread in OT about sigs which you are welcome to comment in on mine. Shouldn't really hi-jack this thread any longer!

[quote name='The Funk' post='193963' date='May 7 2008, 03:57 PM']Jazz After Dark is a great place to gig. Everything is against you and so if you can pull off a good gig, it's because it all came from you. One gig there is worth 20 rehearsals.[/quote]

I completely agree. We play there a lot, and it's great bumping your head on the mirrorball and trying to get through the throng between sets.

Apart from the occasional groups of rowdy Norwegian drunkards that seem to get in there, it's usually a great atmosphere.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='193991' date='May 7 2008, 04:22 PM']I completely agree. We play there a lot, and it's great bumping your head on the mirrorball and trying to get through the throng between sets.

Apart from the occasional groups of rowdy Norwegian drunkards that seem to get in there, it's usually a great atmosphere.[/quote]

That mirrorball plucked out so many hairs from my head, I blame it for the small bald patch that is beginning to emerge. I haven't played there in a couple of years but I keep planning on going back.

[quote name='paul, the' post='194139' date='May 7 2008, 07:19 PM']Just listened to your band's myspace tracks. Great stuff! Nice feel on the busier Tell Papa in the verses, too.[/quote]

Thanks. Not bad for a rough mix onto minidisc from a rehearsal studio (using their room's mixer and mics). Just a shame my rusty old PC added a load of noise to them when trying to edit etc.

Ha ha, I claim it's all part of the vintage atmosphere, and manages to hide some, but not all of the duff notes!