Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500

Guest MoJo

I've just taken delivery of a second hand LH500, bought here on basschat and it has possibly the least number of controls I've ever seen on an amp. Four control knobs marked 'Volume', 'Bass', 'Mid' and 'Treble' and that's it. Am I right in my assumption that the 'Volume' control attenuates the amount of signal from my bass passing into the preamp and then onto the power amp?

Most amps I've used in the past have had an input gain control, which attenuates the amount of signal going into the preamp and then a volume control which attenuates the amount of signal passing from the preamp to the power amp.

Interestingly, I recently watched a an 'AmpegTV' video on YouTube which demonstrated how to set the levels on an SVT-CL. To get a loud, clean tone, they recommend you wind the ouput volume level control all the way up then control the volume with the input level control. On the LH500, it looks as though they've decided to remove the 'wide open' volume control and allow the user to control the volume by varying the input gain.

I may be way off the mark but I'd be interested to hear other, more informed BC'ers thoughts

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1350036800' post='1833749']
I actually think that thats the master volume i think?

Andy
[/quote]

You're right. This is how Hartke suggest setting the volume:

[quote][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"]Set the output of your bass to maximum and then, while playing, slowly turn[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"]the VOLUME control up until the desired level is achieved. If you hear distortion[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"]even at low amplifier VOLUME control, back off the output of your bass (or check[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"]for a faulty cable).[/quote][/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="3"]How strange. I've never had to back off the volume of my bass before[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1350038615' post='1833795']
I have an LH500, and I've never once had any sort of grind from it at all. Its easily the cleanest amp I've ever used.
[/quote]

True dat, if you've got some distortion then plug your bass into the 'active' socket (assuming that you don't want distortion, that is), occasionally on board Pre's can overdrive the tube in the preamp stage, but only very rarely.

One curious thing about these amps is that the EQ section has a 'built in' mid scoop with all three knobs set to 12 o'clock. I think to get a (nearly) transparent sound from the amp the bass has to be at 10 o'clock, mid on full and treble all the way off IIRC.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1350033296' post='1833685']
I've just taken delivery of a second hand LH500, bought here on basschat and it has possibly the least number of controls I've ever seen on an amp. Four control knobs marked 'Volume', 'Bass', 'Mid' and 'Treble' and that's it. Am I right in my assumption that the 'Volume' control attenuates the amount of signal from my bass passing into the preamp and then onto the power amp?

Most amps I've used in the past have had an input gain control, which attenuates the amount of signal going into the preamp and then a volume control which attenuates the amount of signal passing from the preamp to the power amp.

Interestingly, I recently watched a an 'AmpegTV' video on YouTube which demonstrated how to set the levels on an SVT-CL. To get a loud, clean tone, they recommend you wind the ouput volume level control all the way up then control the volume with the input level control. On the LH500, it looks as though they've decided to remove the 'wide open' volume control and allow the user to control the volume by varying the input gain.

I may be way off the mark but I'd be interested to hear other, more informed BC'ers thoughts
[/quote]

This is correct, the volume control is actually the gain control for the preamp. The preamp is wired directly to the power amplifier with no master volume control. As you say, it's like the master is all the way up.

I've had a few Hartke amps..I still have two and the LH is the cleanest, punchiest amp I've owned. (lH1000) highly recommended.

I have one too, when I first got it I had a bit of bother getting the sound I wanted. Indoors it just seemed really boomy, then an outdoor gig I just couldn't hear it and it wasn't cutting through. But some advice on here soon sorted it out. Bass down,mids right up and treble rolled off. Does the job lovely. I'm now using a 2x10 as well as the 15 and its got some proper welly. I would like to be able to afford some nice cabs but there is always something else to pay for first.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1350045644' post='1833947']
I use one of these heads and love the simplicity of it.

I recommend swapping the pre amp valve out for a JJ ECC803S
[/quote]

Another "me too" - love my LH500, and the "lack" of controls suits me just fine. Less temptation to dick around to the nth degree, instead of just getting on with playing and enjoying its lovely clean, warm punchy sound.

I'm interested in the change of preamp valve though, more out of curiosity than any dissatisfaction with the stock item (Sovtek 12AX7 in mine - I'm guessing they're all the same ?)

What does the change to a JJ ECC803S do for the sound ?

Been reading the blurb on the Watford Valves website, where it says that valve "is very microphonic for use in guitar amplifiers" and that the ECC83-S is a better choice. ( http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=2429 )

Any thoughts ?

I'm currently using a Fender TB-600 which costs more secondhand than the LH500 does new. It has so many features on it that, as Barkin says, I'm always 'dicking around' with the controls . I'm hoping that the LH500 will be a simpler solution. I've got the chance to try it on Thursday so I'll be reporting back

Edited by MoJo

While the EQ etc is pretty simple, I found it takes a bit of getting used to. Some things you might want to bear in mind:

With the volume up to 12 o'clock, I initially thought "hey, this thing's supposed to be loud!" but wind it round past that, and it's like the turbo's kicked in.
If you feel like you've run out of mids, just back the bass & treble off and crank the volume.
It seems to me that there's an interaction between the EQ controls that seems a bit odd when you first use it, if you've not come across this arrangement before. I think I've read somewhere that, electrically, the bass feeds into the mid, and the mid into the treble...or something. Whatever, the result is that the EQ knobs can have a very different effect on the tone (and overall volume), depending on how the other controls are set.

At least, that's how it seems to me :)

have fun...