Why become a member? ×

Gig Offer Sounds Dodgy

Hobbayne

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1349855942' post='1831244']
Think of it as an "as live" rehearsal where you don't have to pay for the rehearsal room.

If you're not bringing your own crowd, and you're a new band so no one has heard of you, what's the logic in a landlord promising to pay you £200 even if there's no one in the venue?

Sounds to me like the promoter is being more open than most about how the deal is going to work. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
[/quote]

Quite right, you get better as a band much quicker at gigs than at rehearsal.

OK, It seems that we will do it. it will be nice to see how we go down.I suppose I was aware of playing for free being a taboo subject oh here.
I will post more details in the upcoming gigs section, in case any London B/Cers want to come along.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349884853' post='1831815']
OK, It seems that we will do it. it will be nice to see how we go down.I suppose I was aware of playing for free being a taboo subject oh here.
I will post more details in the upcoming gigs section, in case any London B/Cers want to come along.
[/quote]

Go for and have fun! Let us know how it goes.

I think its fair enough when someone is making a nice wad out of a band playing to pay the band for doing so. If they're not going to make anything its a bit difficult to demand any.

I also think there is certainly a principal of not paying to play. Not had to do that yet. Both my lads play in bands, both have had occasions when they have been given a bunch of tickets to sell and have been asked for the money for any unsold. In the future they have learned to take none or a few they know they will sell or play elsewhere. Older lad's band now gets invited to play by venues and other bands as they know they will sell out.

Had to start somewhere.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1349855942' post='1831244']
Think of it as an "as live" rehearsal where you don't have to pay for the rehearsal room.
[/quote]
I've never liked this attitude. Once you hit the stage you should be performing,not rehearsing.If you are
treating a gig as a rehearsal (I often hear the phrase 'paid rehearsal') then you shouldn't be on the gig,because
you have completely the wrong attitude towards the gig.

Since when should new bands play for little or nothing just to get out there? I've never done this,ever. Like I said
in the 'playing for free' thread,I once booked my old bands first gigs and got over a grand for 2 nights (plus accommodation).

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1349854921' post='1831238']
An extremely good point, however a promoter my band has played for couldn't even get a crowd at Europes largest travelling fair. Really, full car parks everywhere and there was about 10 people at the stage. Each gig we've done for him, no one has been there. And we don't even get £5 of expenses.

Dan
[/quote]

You've done more than one?

Why?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349888539' post='1831872']
I've never liked this attitude. Once you hit the stage you should be performing,not rehearsing.If you are
treating a gig as a rehearsal (I often hear the phrase 'paid rehearsal') then you shouldn't be on the gig,because

Since when should new bands play for little or nothing just to get out there? I've never done this,ever. Like I said
in the 'playing for free' thread,I once booked my old bands first gigs and got over a grand for 2 nights (plus accommodation).
[/quote]Come now Doddy, it's just semantics. Maybe the term "warm up gig" would be more acceptable. ;)
Almost every band in the world worth their salt does them. Most likely a set, or an aspect of the set, will be changed after a "warm up gig".
I'm sure the OP's band will do their utmost to put on a show and perform to the best of their ability.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1349890677' post='1831904']Maybe the term "warm up gig" would be more acceptable. ;)[/quote]

"Some" bands release their warm-up gigs..........

One of my fave albums of theirs of all time, especially "Not Fade Away".

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349888539' post='1831872']

[/quote]

As ever, Doddy, I am in awe of your professional approach.

Me, I'm an amateur, maybe I could call myself semi-pro if I was feeling pompous.

I've never booked a first-ever gig and got offered a grand, nor does it seem likely. Can't say I'm losing much sleep over it.

When I play a gig, I play. I try to rehearse like I'm playing a gig anyway, so treating playing a gig to an empty room as if it's a more realistic rehearsal doesn't strike me as a particularly awful attitude.

YMMV. In fact, it clearly does. ;)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1349890458' post='1831896']
You've done more than one?

Why?
[/quote]

I have asked myself that many times! Believe it or not, it's the only promoter prepared to give us gigs, however, we're now saying no to them as they aren't worth it. Each gig has little to no crowd in, and as such it's a cheek he calls himself a promoter. If you're just booking bands then you're an agent, if you're a promoter then promote the bloody thing.

Dan

[i]This happens a lot with lotsabands playing for less than zero , just to play.I like to play gigs , but like to get enough so as not to be out of pocket![/i]
[i] We had a very similar situation when we were looking to get a support slot. The promoter stated that tro get the support slot had to take /pay for something like 50 tickets - if you didn't sell them tough - you lost out. [/i]

[i]The name of the band, drumroll please ...... DODGY! Boomtish. [/i]