Why become a member? ×

Bass, postmen and tired cranky babies don't mix :(

Greggo

So the new bass I bought I've not had much chance to play because band practice seems to get cancelled weekly for one reason or another. With having a 3 month old son who is starting to be very alert and needs a lot of attention finding any time to play of an evening is difficult with our routine with him. After a busy afternoon of keeping him occupied/sorting house we finally get him down for his afternoon snooze in his cot. Great! My partner and I can get a well deserved rest, so as good a time as any I get my bass Plugged in to amp (headphones on) play about three notes and KNOCK KNOCK! The postman with a parcel. The house isnt that big and sound travels so this instantly wakes baby crying and he became wide awake! Oh ffs! I pack up bass and amp and then resign myself that it may be some time before I next get to properly play.

Oh to be young again :) you've got the rest of your life to play bass, enjoy your little'n while you can :D

If it's any consolation, I'm 61, was married for 25 years, been divorced 12 years, retired 11 years, kids left home long time since, there's just me, the 'mistress!', the cat & the fish :lol:

Guess what - there's still not enough hours in a day to settle down with a bass uninterrupted for an hour - even 5 minutes sometimes :P :rolleyes: :huh:

I've said this to so many friends who become parents; last time was two days ago & he'd never thought about it but agreed immediately.
No matter what point in their life your kids are at; for one reason or another "that" immediate point is the best one. As you grow older every new highlight becomes the best one.
You'll find time for bass - or come back to it - I did. But there are few finer things you can do for your kids than to nurture a musical talent; I tried but my son became a drummer ;). As well as the birth, first steps, first day at school pic etc. I have one of him on Xmas morning when he was 5 & had his first drum kit, a toy one, three drums, one cymbal with Mickey Mouse pics painted on it. By 10 years old the Xmas pic is of a Philips electric kit.
I was at his first gig at school when he was 14 & stood at the back while tears of "That's my boy!" trickled down my cheek. At 21 I bought him a silver Pearl kit and the next year took him to meet Don Powell of Slade & listened to them compare notes on Pearl kits.
By then he was gigging so I was roadie, tech, manager, agent & minder for many of them until he left home. He's still playing in Edinburgh now, got a gig in Newcastle this w/e.
Bass can wait - but you'll be there grinning ear to ear at whatever they do - and choose to do. Only down side is that it's rare to be able to sell old gear on - they'll always have a use for it.

Yeah definitely I bet thats amazing. Me and missus have this ongoing joke about whether he'll play piano (she plays it) or guitar/bass. I hope he will embrace any musical venture as its been a passion of both of us playing music and be great for him to take up an instrument when hes older. I love spending time with my boy, hes growing up so fast and developing new skills daily (grabbing his feet is latest!) But there definitely isnt enough hours in the day to do it all as he comes first. Still, I did grumble to myself about postman! The parcel wasnt even for me ;)

Sleep when your dead. My daughters mum and I had her when I was 22, still rehearsed and gigged and toured for years while she was growing up. 2 things I missed was big chunks of seeing her develop and a regular comfy bed.

If you really want to play, you will. But not getting enough sleep is grim. It's that long ago that I've forgotten about how it must have felt surviving on 2-3 hours kip a day.

Get off Basschat and get yer head down. Good luck. :)

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1349539689' post='1827524']
Yeah definitely I bet thats amazing. Me and missus have this ongoing joke about whether he'll play piano (she plays it) or guitar/bass. I hope he will embrace any musical venture as its been a passion of both of us playing music and be great for him to take up an instrument when hes older. I love spending time with my boy, hes growing up so fast and developing new skills daily (grabbing his feet is latest!) But there definitely isnt enough hours in the day to do it all as he comes first. Still, I did grumble to myself about postman! The parcel wasnt even for me ;)
[/quote]
This is so spooky - my three year old loves instruments and we spent ages trying to work out what one she actually likes. I have a pic of her at 18 months plugging in my jazz bass. I think it will be drums . Partner keeps saying "it will get easier, you'll get more time to practice" but it does not seem to happen. However nursery tires them out more so you do get at least some earlier bedtimes
Still waiting for a full nights sleep - was getting by in 3 broken hours a night at one point

Edited by Geek99

I had to give up playing in bands when my daughter (now three) arrived as I just couldn't balance it with work and home and, ultimately, it's by far the lowest of those priorities.

However, I've still been able to find time to practice (you do start to get time eventually) and (I think) I've improved my technique a little as a result.

The other thing I've done, which is admittedly quite sad, is to record songs with my daughter - mostly funk stuff with silly lyrics. I actually prefer this to recording 'serious' songs, because I'm less concerned about the results. It's also a nice alternative way to record them as they're growing up.

Finally, I'd recommend getting your little one into Yo Gabba Gabba - their album 'Music is Awesome' is actually pretty listenable to on long journeys - it's got a brilliant song by The Roots on it.

Number 2 is on its way in the next few weeks, so I'll be sharing your pain again!

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1349558592' post='1827828']The other thing I've done, which is admittedly quite sad, is to record songs with my daughter - mostly funk stuff with silly lyrics. I actually prefer this to recording 'serious' songs, because I'm less concerned about the results. It's also a nice alternative way to record them as they're growing up.[/quote]

You'll find that the song "Five Currant Buns In The Baker's Shop" works quite well with the riff to the Motorhead version of "Leaving Here" ..... erm ...... erm ........... or so I'm told. :unsure: :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1349559627' post='1827835']
You'll find that the song "Five Currant Buns In The Baker's Shop" works quite well with the riff to the Motorhead version of "Leaving Here" ..... erm ...... erm ........... or so I'm told. :unsure: :lol:
[/quote]

I can well imagine. Is there an unreported musical subculture here? Perhaps it is best left that way!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1349535500' post='1827478']
Oh to be young again :) you've got the rest of your life to play bass, enjoy your little'n while you can :D

If it's any consolation, I'm 61, was married for 25 years, been divorced 12 years, retired 11 years, kids left home long time since, there's just me, the 'mistress!', the cat & the fish :lol:

Think you should write a song about this )
Guess what - there's still not enough hours in a day to settle down with a bass uninterrupted for an hour - even 5 minutes sometimes :P :rolleyes: :huh:
[/quote]