Why become a member? ×

Hofner Verythin or Hagstrom Viking

BetaFunk

If I had the dosh out of those two I'd go for the Hofner. I think the modern Hagstroms are now made in Korea or somewhere these days.

I just got an Ibanez Artcore, mine's the older full scale one, but the new ones are short scale. In terms of playability, its a pretty fine bass actually - I usually don't like Ibanez etc. but this one is lovely - if you can get over the design on the headstock ;)

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1349107523' post='1821901']
I have an original Verithin and it is a brilliant little bass. lovely big sound, weighs the same as a pea and a great comfy neck.
[/quote]
Thanks very much for the info but i'm really looking to compare the current re-issues of the Hofner and Hagstrom. I agree with your comments though as i have a 60s Hofner Senator bass which is light and fun to play.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1349107918' post='1821908']
If I had the dosh out of those two I'd go for the Hofner. I think the modern Hagstroms are now made in Korea or somewhere these days.

I just got an Ibanez Artcore, mine's the older full scale one, but the new ones are short scale. In terms of playability, its a pretty fine bass actually - I usually don't like Ibanez etc. but this one is lovely - if you can get over the design on the headstock ;)
[/quote]
Thanks for that. I totally forgot about the Ibanez. I'll change my question to "Has anyone played the [u]current[/u] Hofner Verythin, Hagstrom Viking or Ibanez Artcore [u]Short Scale[/u] Basses, and which do you think is the best?"

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1349109147' post='1821938']
I tried a Hagstrom. The fit and finish was not that amazing, especially given that it commands a MIM Fender price. Two things really concerned me.

1) The 6-way rotary switch is a non-standard part and felt a little flimsy. I would be worried about both sourcing a replacement and then fishing it through the f-holes with its funky wiring loom and getting it right down the end of the horn where the hole is.

2) The bridge. Apparently the strings connect to metal teeth which can bend or snap under string tension. Having not studied the bridge up close I cannot comment. However if you cannot wrap the string around itself or something then I guess you would need to try and source a replacement bridge... another non-standard part you might be hunting a while to find.

In my opinion the Aria TAB-66 might be the best shout...
[/quote]
I did think or the Aria but unfortunately (AFAIK) it's not short scale which is what i'm looking for.

Good evening, BetaFunk (or may I call you Beta..?)...

I haven't played any of the models you're looking at myself (mine is a vintage Verithin...), but I have handled and played several Hofner CT models (guitars and basses...) and I don't think you'd be disappointed, neither with the build quality nor the sound. They are cheaper than the German-built models because of Chinese manufacture, but the Far-East factory is set up and controlled by Hofner (it's not simply a sub-contractor...). This enables them to maintain constant quality control. I suppose they exist, but for my part I've never seen a 'duff' modern Hofner. As far as I am aware, they have a good reputation in their category (after all, they've been making instruments for 125 years; they should be getting the hang of it by now...).
Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps; meanwhile...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1349113410' post='1822022']
Good evening, BetaFunk (or may I call you Beta..?)...

I haven't played any of the models you're looking at myself (mine is a vintage Verithin...), but I have handled and played several Hofner CT models (guitars and basses...) and I don't think you'd be disappointed, neither with the build quality nor the sound. They are cheaper than the German-built models because of Chinese manufacture, but the Far-East factory is set up and controlled by Hofner (it's not simply a sub-contractor...). This enables them to maintain constant quality control. I suppose they exist, but for my part I've never seen a 'duff' modern Hofner. As far as I am aware, they have a good reputation in their category (after all, they've been making instruments for 125 years; they should be getting the hang of it by now...).
Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps; meanwhile...
[/quote]
You may indeed call me Beta kind sir!

It certainly does help thanks. I think i'll have a wander around a few shops this week and have a look at a few Hofners.

I've just had one of the new gretsch short scale basses delivered to the shop I work at, and It's impressed me.

I miss my Jack Casdady (long scale - Not your thing) and have always fancied another hollow/semi hollow bass.

But now I've seen the Gibson Midtown, i'm hanging fire.

The Gretsch is £800 ish, which is a bit rich for MIK, but it's bloody lovely.

The Verythin looks lovely, had a do on one at the Frankfurt MusikMesse, and it felt great.

Never tried the Hagstrom, but I really like the 'Pawn Shop' vibe of it, I liked the guitars when we stocked them, but that was about 5 years ago when they did a big relaunch - And were maybe trying to impress with the initial models. Shame to hear the standard has maybe slipped as I liked the look of the Viking Baritone.

I play a Hofner Reissue Verythin bass exclusively now & have done for a while. I've owned vintage Fenders, Rickenbacker and pretty much every bass you can imagine and the Hofner is my new spirtual home. I've sold off all the other basses now (ok 2 Fenders left but they'll go when I get around to it). Just a great bass, tonally and looks wise. Everyone who plays my bass comments on how nice it is. I can't compare it to the old verithin as I've never played one. The current crop of Hofner CT series basses are really good. Those Hagstrom Viking basses do look good but I've not tried one. Sorry.

My only bugbear with the Verythin is that since I've got mine they now no longer come with the pickguard and that (to my tastes) is missing a trick.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1349284375' post='1824320']
I play a Hofner Reissue Verythin bass exclusively now & have done for a while. I've owned vintage Fenders, Rickenbacker and pretty much every bass you can imagine and the Hofner is my new spirtual home. I've sold off all the other basses now (ok 2 Fenders left but they'll go when I get around to it). Just a great bass, tonally and looks wise. Everyone who plays my bass comments on how nice it is. I can't compare it to the old verithin as I've never played one. The current crop of Hofner CT series basses are really good. Those Hagstrom Viking basses do look good but I've not tried one. Sorry.

My only bugbear with the Verythin is that since I've got mine they now no longer come with the pickguard and that (to my tastes) is missing a trick.

[/quote]Ooooh that's nice. I think you've just convinced me!!!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1349269155' post='1824021']
There's an old DeArmond Starfire bass on Ebay at the moment, BIN £400. I used to have one and bitterly regret selling it, it was a very special bass.
[/quote]

+1
Recently picked up a lovely red Starfire reissue off here. Love it, a cracking bass & surprisingly versatile.

How would you compare the Jack Casady to the Gretsch Andy ... I fancied the JC but ive seen the Gretsch now. How would you compare the Gibson to the Gretsch for about £250 extra?
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1349206060' post='1823356']
I've just had one of the new gretsch short scale basses delivered to the shop I work at, and It's impressed me.

I miss my Jack Casdady (long scale - Not your thing) and have always fancied another hollow/semi hollow bass.

But now I've seen the Gibson Midtown, i'm hanging fire.

The Gretsch is £800 ish, which is a bit rich for MIK, but it's bloody lovely.

The Verythin looks lovely, had a do on one at the Frankfurt MusikMesse, and it felt great.

Never tried the Hagstrom, but I really like the 'Pawn Shop' vibe of it, I liked the guitars when we stocked them, but that was about 5 years ago when they did a big relaunch - And were maybe trying to impress with the initial models. Shame to hear the standard has maybe slipped as I liked the look of the Viking Baritone.
[/quote]