Why become a member? ×

FT Status Streamline 4

martthebass

A very very long shot this but here goes.
I've recently found myself in a 60s type band and the singers keys are making quite a bit of the set list a struggle on a 4 string. Now I generally hate 5 strings, have tried and failed to adapt 3 times.....but I've decided to try again for the sake of this project.

My main go to bass for this stuff is my trusty Status Streamline (the 6th one ever made!), I've loved this bass ever since acquiring it about 3 years ago. It's in excellent condition with no dings, scraps or scratches and maybe against my better judgement this is the bass I'm looking to trade against a very specific 5. Because I hold the Streamline in such high esteem my fiver of choice is no surprise a Streamline 5. At a push I'd also look at a Status Stealth 5. Both these basses are as rare as hens teeth so no major expectation of success but hey ho. Pics available on request.
Oh, nearly forgot, in accordance with the new rules I'm putting a trade value of £1000 on the Streamline 4.

Before you sell such a fine instrument why not investigate Scott Devine's technique for making a four string play like a five. He used an EBS octave pedal. The low octave is full on and the natural sound is off completely. Just play the notes a bit further up the neck. He's a four string player too and it works for him.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1349023635' post='1820791']
Before you sell such a fine instrument why not investigate Scott Devine's technique for making a four string play like a five. He used an EBS octave pedal. The low octave is full on and the natural sound is off completely. Just play the notes a bit further up the neck. He's a four string player too and it works for him.
[/quote]

I hadn't thought of that! Just picked up an IRig Stomp so could try this out.

Martin! long time no hear.....yes I always said this would go to the grave with me.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1349035776' post='1821001']
I hadn't thought of that! Just picked up an IRig Stomp so could try this out.

[/quote]

I have 2 octave pedals on my board - a MXR Bass Octave Deluxe which is an Analogue pedal - tracks quite well, but is very sensitive to where you pluck the strings and can be glitchy and squealchy - perfect for 1970s funk or for use into an Envelope filter... but when I want it super clean and accurate I use a Micro POG. That compresses the tone a bit so not as good before any type of playing sensitive filter, but the tracking is rock solid.

and as it happens - I often use my Streamline with them!

Thanks for the advice guys, don't think I'll go for the nut surgery (ooh eer missus) on this bass though - doesn't look like an easy job on the carbon neck without buggering some of the deep gloss finish.

No worries OM - if you ever fancy a change let me know. Knew this was a long shot but hey you never know.