Why become a member? ×

Input is not 1/4" jack!?!?!?!?!? any help??

gusto

Hi all,
Thanks for popping in for a look.
I bought an old Hofner guitar a while back, its got a Hofner pickup set on it that I presume was added after, but the input is not big enough for a 1/4" jack?
Anyone got any ideas what size it is?
The guitar is from around 1958-1962 apparently, so if that helps shed any light. All the people that i have asked that were playing back then don't seem to remember jack size changing. I thought it may have been a Metric/decimal thing? but that is a total guess...
I have googled for the answer but not had any luck so far.

Any ideas?

A would guess it's metric being German, but I've never come across a metric jack that wouldn't take a quarter inch one, a metric is slightly bigger than the imperial one.

If it's an acoustic that's had acoustic pickups put on it I've seen a lot of those with a mini-jack connection but such a difference would be obvious.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='gusto' timestamp='1348936399' post='1819956']...Anyone got any ideas what size it is?...[/quote]
Good evening, Gusto...

I think I remember seeing somewhere that old German guitars had a plug similar to the old telephone switchboard plugs (also called jacks...), which are thinner than the modern jacks. The Hofner collectors site that would have this info has folded (replaced by hofnerhounds.myfineforum.org...), so I can't link to the thread I saw.
I'll ask around and see what I can come up with...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1348943295' post='1820046']
I think I remember seeing somewhere that old German guitars had a plug similar to the old telephone switchboard plugs
[/quote]

I believe these are the bantam plugs that paul_5 mentioned - still often used in studio/broadcast patchbays.

I don't know if these are relevant to Hofner guitars though.

Hi all,
sorry for not getting back on here a bit quicker.
Thanks for all the responses.

Flyfisher: Photos? Ahh, yes they would help, Ill post some up asap.

Dad3353: Those telephone plugs sound like they might be it. Ill have a search around and see if i can find one to try.

Hugehands/Paul5: I think a bantam plug will be too small?

More info... When I try to plug a 1/4" jack in, the hole is too small to, ahem, accomodate the plug (story of my life, honest).
It looks to the eye that it will fit but is just a bit too small. I will put up some pics later with a jack so you can see what I mean.

I dont suppose anyone can travel back in time and pick up an old switchboard cable for me?

Gusto,

I'm not proclaiming to be an expert at all, but I was always told that batam jacks are the same size and spec as the old telephone switchboard cables.

The batams I see in use in broadcast are not that much different in size to a normal 1/4" jack.

Maybe worth the gamble for a few quid?

Either that or investigate replacing the socket on your guitar for a more conventional one?

Like I said I'm not an expert :unsure:

I just looked on the Canford Audio site, and they are saying a bantam is 4.4mm, and sometimes known as a "tiny telephone" connector. Therefore smaller than the 1/4", but not, from the other guys posts, an old style switchboard one.

I also can't guarantee it will fit your Hofner. Confused? I know I am!

http://www.canford.co.uk/Index/B/Bantam-jack-plugs/NEUTRIK-BANTAM-JACK-PLUGS-4.4mm

Loads of overlap with 'post office' jacks in terms of name. But the jack that's closest to a 1/4" (type A) jack without being one and is probably the type B, have a look here
[url="http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/mil-b-gauge-type/"]http://www.neutrik.c...l-b-gauge-type/[/url]

Similar enough to cause plenty of looks-like-it'll-fit-but-won't annoyances. Perhaps it's this one? EDIT one of these ones, I should say! There are a few variants...

Edited by LawrenceH

Good evening, Gusto...

Try contacting this fellow...

Stephen Candib, moniker[color=#ff0000]'at'[/color]ca[color=#ff0000]'dot'[/color]inter[color=#ff0000]'dot'[/color]net

...who is rather an authority on older Hofners. If he doesn't have the answer, I'm pretty sure that he'll know who has.

Hope this helps...

[url="http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/mil-b-gauge-type/"]http://www.neutrik.c...l-b-gauge-type/[/url]
I thought that was a Bantam Jack as mentioned earlier, certainly the same type as on the Bantam patch bays I used to use. The old GPO ones are different entirely. The ones in this link are almost the same as a standard jack in diameter, but not quite. I would say that is your best bet!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1350772346' post='1843436']
I think that should be 'calipers'..? As worn by Forest Gump, in his youth...
[/quote]

lol you are right 10.21 post after a long day and predictive text on my phone doing the nasty on me.
Anyway thats where i would start. At least you'd know the exact measurement then and look into it from there.