Why become a member? ×

Kinal MK5 (an absolute beauty!) - **SOLD**

Rumble

I've just come to the conclusion that I'm not a Bartolini man so I'm putting this up for grabs .This is without doubt the best 'feeling' bass I've ever owned and Mike Kinal is a master craftsman. The ONLY reason I'm considering letting this go is that I just can't get on with the Bartolini setup. I've even considered the idea of replacing the pickups and pre, but that would involve a pretty significant cash outlay so I'm trying this first.

[b]Body [/b]- pretty sure it's Alder
[b]Top [/b]- Goncolo-Alves
[b]Neck [/b]- 5 piece Maple (two flamed strips) with Purpleheart
[b]Fretboard [/b]- beautiful piece of Rosewood with MOP dot markers
[b]Pickups [/b]- Bartolini BC in neck position and BD in bridge (has Goncolo-Alves ramp fitted)
[b]Preamp [/b]- Bartolini
[b]Controls [/b]- Vol (push-pull active-passive), blend, treble, mid, bass. Three switches (EQ bypass, mid freq selection, coil tap between series, parallel and single coil)
[b]Tuners and bridge [/b]- not sure, maybe Hipshot or Gotoh - good quality either way. Through-body stringing available

[b]Weight [/b]- just under 9Ibs on the bathroom scales

Newly strung with a set of Elites.

[b]Price [/b]- [s]£900 [/s] £850+ P&P (you would genuinely be hard pushed to find such a well constructed instrument for this price)

[b]Trades [/b]- I'd really like to get back to a more traditional jazz tone. Ideally in 5 string format.

Thanks for looking and please get in touch if you have any questions. I would ask that anyone considering making a 'would you accept a Squire bass + £140' type offer, resist from pressing the 'Send' button.

Pictures

[attachment=118942:IMG_4543 (Medium).JPG]
[attachment=118943:IMG_4546 (Medium).JPG]
[attachment=118944:IMG_4547 (Medium).JPG]
[attachment=118945:IMG_4550 (Medium).JPG]
[attachment=118946:IMG_4545 (Medium).JPG]

Edited by Rumble

:) A recently acquired Roscoe Century 5.

I LOVE my Kinal MK-5, dearly, and to have a pair of them would be a dream come true, I'm a big Mike Kinal fan.

The Roscoe is totally beautiful, a keeper, no question,[i] but[/i]....for another Kinal...[i]well[/i].....

One small, issue....it's loaded with Barts :D

[quote name='Rumble' timestamp='1348214773' post='1810814']
The ONLY reason I'm considering letting this go is that I just can't get on with the Bartolini setup.
[/quote]

Lovely looking bass. What don't you like about the Bart pickups and preamp?

I LOVE the Barts in my Roscoe, bright and punchy, lovely growl to my ears.

MY Kinal has Aeros in it, which are IMO the best jazz pups. Either way, this Kinal is as good a bass as you'll ever own.

Bargain for someone, I just wish it was me.