Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENZ-BENZ-Shuttle-6-0-Bass-Amplifier-Head-NEW-No-Reserv_W0QQitemZ250243620196QQihZ015QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENZ-BENZ-Shuttle-6-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='poptart' post='189966' date='May 1 2008, 08:22 PM']Import = No guarantee :)[/quote]
Wasn't promoting it Mark! Just knew lots of people are waiting for these to start coming into the country, via Bass Direct of course!

Anyway, I say buy a Markbass R500 instead :huh:

[quote name='Clarky' post='189972' date='May 1 2008, 07:27 PM']Wasn't promoting it Mark! Just knew lots of people are waiting for these to start coming into the country, via Bass Direct of course!

Anyway, I say buy a Markbass R500 instead :)[/quote]

Clarky

I know, I wasn't trying be the police here, just a friendly reminder that your invalidate your guarantee if you import these types of products from the USA. I did not realise this until I became a dealer and this became apparent.

Anyway - I think for your purposes the R500 is perfect.

R = Rock :huh:

Mark

EDIT - Having just checked the advert he states it comes with a full guarantee. As he is not a dealer that is not true!! Just trying to look after anyones interest, not profit motivated ;)

Edited by poptart

[quote name='poptart' post='189979' date='May 1 2008, 08:32 PM']just a friendly reminder that your invalidate your guarantee if you import these types of products from the USA.[/quote]

Well, if it goes for a quid, who cares!! Although I don't think that's likely... :)

[quote name='poptart' post='189979' date='May 1 2008, 08:32 PM']Clarky

I know, I wasn't trying be the police here, just a friendly reminder that your invalidate your guarantee if you import these types of products from the USA. I did not realise this until I became a dealer and this became apparent.

Anyway - I think for your purposes the R500 is perfect.

R = Rock :)

Mark

EDIT - Having just checked the advert he states it comes with a full guarantee. As he is not a dealer that is not true!! Just trying to look after anyones interest, not profit motivated :huh:[/quote]

FWIW I've imported all my GB kit direct from the US (from official dealers), and GB have told me they will stand by the warranty.

[quote name='BB2000' post='191435' date='May 4 2008, 12:47 AM']FWIW I've imported all my GB kit direct from the US (from official dealers), and GB have told me they will stand by the warranty.[/quote]

Quite so - here are the Genz Benz terms and conditions;

GENZ BENZ warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase, when purchased from an authorized GENZ BENZ dealer. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear incurred from the normal designed use of the product and specifically limits the warranty for tubes to 6 months. This warranty is only effective if a copy of the original sales receipt is presented at the time of warranty service.

GENZ BENZ will repair or replace, at its option, any defective materials provided the product:

•Has not been misused, abused, tampered, altered or damaged either by accident or during shipment.

•Has not been subjected to excessive or insufficient power, i.e. burned or discolored voice coils.

•Has been returned to GENZ BENZ or its authorized service center, freight pre-paid, together with a copy of the original sales receipt, from an authorized GENZ BENZ dealer.

•Has been registered with GENZ BENZ within 10 days of the purchase date.

•Has its original serial number intact and it has not been defaced, changed or removed.

Any products which may be used for rentals, while in the dealer’s inventory, shall be covered from the date of the original invoice to the dealer. If rented products are subsequently sold from dealers stock, this warranty shall be in effect only for the remainder of the warranty period not yet used. GENZ BENZ makes no other warranties, written or implied, with respect to its products merchantability or fitness for any specific purpose, other than covered in the duration of the length of this warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, which may vary from state-to-state.

Regards

Mark

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't bend over backwards to help a user of their kit, whether in warranty or not. They helped me in the past when they had no obligation to do so - which is one of the reasons I sold all my amps and replaced them with GB.

[quote name='BB2000' post='191435' date='May 4 2008, 01:47 AM']FWIW I've imported all my GB kit direct from the US (from official dealers), and GB have told me they will stand by the warranty.[/quote]
[Pedant Mode]This one is a priveat sale on ebay not direct from a GB dealer whether in the UK or the US[/Pedant Mode]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='191574' date='May 4 2008, 01:36 PM'][Pedant Mode]This one is a priveat sale on ebay not direct from a GB dealer whether in the UK or the US[/Pedant Mode][/quote]

"Has been returned to GENZ BENZ or its authorized service center, freight pre-paid, together with a copy of the original sales receipt, from an authorized GENZ BENZ dealer."

According to the warranty conditions, the buyer is covered by the warranty as long as he has a copy of the original receipt and returns the faulty item to an authorized service centre.

"GENZ BENZ warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase, [b]when purchased from an authorized GENZ BENZ dealer.[/b] "

This happens with EBS gear bought on the web from europe and when it goes tits they phone EBS UK and expect them to fix it. To quote Del Boy, "no way Pedro". Do you honestly think GENZ BENZ dealers in the UK would want to know.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='191520' date='May 4 2008, 12:18 PM']Might as well buy one new at that price and have better peace of mind.[/quote]

yup exactly why i stopped bidding, the price might end a little below what i will pay but at least i will have dealer back up

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='191643' date='May 4 2008, 03:47 PM']"GENZ BENZ warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase, [b]when purchased from an authorized GENZ BENZ dealer.[/b] "
The amp will no doubt have come from an authorized dealer and as such will carry the manufacturer's 3-year warranty.

This happens with EBS gear bought on the web from europe and when it goes tits they phone EBS UK and expect them to fix it. To quote Del Boy, "no way Pedro". Do you honestly think GENZ BENZ dealers in the UK would want to know.[/quote]

That's how the car industry maintained its outrageously high prices in the UK for so many years. It doesn't actually cost a distributor anything to fix a product under warranty - they charge it back to the manufacturer. And if what you say about EBS is true, it's illegal under EU law. Why should anyone buy new gear from Europe if the UK distributor is offering a good deal?

[quote name='stevie' post='191823' date='May 4 2008, 08:18 PM']That's how the car industry maintained its outrageously high prices in the UK for so many years. It doesn't actually cost a distributor anything to fix a product under warranty - they charge it back to the manufacturer. And if what you say about EBS is true, it's illegal under EU law. Why should anyone buy new gear from Europe if the UK distributor is offering a good deal?[/quote]
I had this experience with Warwick and being let down by MAD Distribution ten years ago even though the German bought amp was covered by an international warranty AND WASN'T FITTED WITH A THERMOSTAT before it left the factory. Excuse me? Quality control anyone?

It was a particularly upsetting because I ended up being screamed at down the phone by their subcontracted electronics engineer because MAD hadn't told him that the amp was still under guarantee and I refused to pay him. Even now I haven't forgotten that experience and I cheered out loud when I heard they went under.

I complained about the behaviour of their engineer and basically MAD didn't want to know. Said it was a "personality" thing between me and him and they didn't want to get involved. This was despite the fact I was supposed to be a Warwick customer!!

In fact my one regret from the whole affair was that I didn't tear a strip off MAD in return. I was far too reasonable and understanding.

[quote name='stevie' post='191823' date='May 4 2008, 08:18 PM']That's how the car industry maintained its outrageously high prices in the UK for so many years. It doesn't actually cost a distributor anything to fix a product under warranty - they charge it back to the manufacturer. And if what you say about EBS is true, it's illegal under EU law. Why should anyone buy new gear from Europe if the UK distributor is offering a good deal?[/quote]
Methinks you want to have your cake and eat it, and you are making big assumptions about the nature of contracts between manufacturers, distributers and retailers. As you may have seen from some of the posts from guys in the business in the UK some of the european sellers who do big numbers buy direct from the manufacturers and sell for less than UK trade price.

EBS, like other distributers, cannot sell direct because they are not retailers, credit card merchants, and all the other bits of red tape that retailers need, liability insurance, fire regulations etc etc la di da. As it happens they will offer deals to basschatters but its not something they advertise cos otherwise the retail business will get the right hump.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='191648' date='May 4 2008, 03:55 PM']Not wishing to sound ungrateful for Clarky's heads up - but twice I've tried the link and twice it's crashed my laptop.[/quote]

It froze my Desktop as well, so I think I'll be staying well away from it in future! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='192025' date='May 5 2008, 08:20 AM']FWIW, I haven't had any problem with it, its just an ebay page.[/quote]

What did that lookout on the Titanic say - 'it's just an iceberg'??

Just warning folk cos it gave me problems and I'm not the only one.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='191912' date='May 4 2008, 11:02 PM']Methinks you want to have your cake and eat it, and you are making big assumptions about the nature of contracts between manufacturers, distributers and retailers. As you may have seen from some of the posts from guys in the business in the UK some of the european sellers who do big numbers buy direct from the manufacturers and sell for less than UK trade price.

EBS, like other distributers, cannot sell direct because they are not retailers, credit card merchants, and all the other bits of red tape that retailers need, liability insurance, fire regulations etc etc la di da. As it happens they will offer deals to basschatters but its not something they advertise cos otherwise the retail business will get the right hump.[/quote]

If by ‘have your cake and eat it’ you mean I want competitive prices and good service, then yes - you’re right. You seem to be falling for the argument that high prices are the only way of ensuring good service.

The European Commission’s research into the UK car market in the late 1990s showed that we were paying as much as *60%* more for our cars than in other European countries. Why? Because the car manufacturers used a variety of methods to stifle competition - such as refusing to honour warranties for cars imported from Europe.

When the EU acted to stop these anti-competitive measures, the industry complained that jobs would be lost in the industry and smaller automotive retailers would go out of business. What they were really squealing about, of course, was the loss of their inflated profit margins.

Bass ferret, do you have any specific examples of manufacturers selling to large European retailers at prices that would allow the latter to sell at below trade cost?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='192099' date='May 5 2008, 10:48 AM']What did that lookout on the Titanic say - 'it's just an iceberg'??[/quote]
Maybe my security settings are different then.

[quote name='stevie' post='192141' date='May 5 2008, 11:35 AM']Because the car manufacturers used a variety of methods to stifle competition - such as refusing to honour warranties for cars imported from Europe.[/quote]
I know of examples (which I'm not going to elaborate on in a public forum) where musical instrument retailers in the UK have ganged up on UK distributors who have supplied to UK based internet sellers after those sellers have passed on significant discounts (in the order of 10-15%) through their sites. I see the bullying by the UK industry as an exercise in futility while the EU allows for competition from European internet sellers.

The only problem I see is where the manufacturers themselves refuse to supply any internet retailers unless those internet retailers agree to an undertaking not to undercut high street retailers. Where proof exists of anti-competitive behaviour, I believe those manufacturers should be asked some very direct questions about what is going on (or better yet, reported to the OFT and EU Competition Commission).

In a transatlantic context is the sale of EB/MM basses by US based stores to non US based customers. Bass Central won't ship new EB basses outside the US because they say Ernie Ball have asked them not to. Same for many product lines from Musicians Friend as well. You only have to look at the price differences between the UK and US to understand what the game is (VAT and import duty not withstanding).